Matt Gaetz under investigation by DoJ for possible sexual relationship with 17 yo girl
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 08:07:28 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Matt Gaetz under investigation by DoJ for possible sexual relationship with 17 yo girl
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18
Author Topic: Matt Gaetz under investigation by DoJ for possible sexual relationship with 17 yo girl  (Read 26004 times)
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #400 on: August 13, 2021, 06:47:29 PM »

What is this board's deal with weird unverified twitter grifters?

Roll Eyes

ABC News has reviewed Google Voice text messages from September 2018 that appear to show Greenberg texting with a woman he met online. In the texts, Greenberg appears to discuss payment options and asks the woman, who was of legal age, if she would take drugs; he then sets up a get-together with himself, Gaetz, the woman, and one of her friends.

"I have a friend flying in and we are trying to make plans for tonight. What are your plans for later," Greenberg wrote to the woman, whose identity ABC News is withholding for privacy purposes. "And how much of an allowance will you be requiring Smiley" Greenberg added.

The woman responded by telling Greenberg she has "a friend who introduced me to the website that I could bring" and said she "usually" requires "$400 per meet."

Greenberg then sent the woman a photo of Gaetz taking a selfie with students at Pea Ridge Elementary from a 2017 visit, and wrote, "My friend," indicating that Gaetz would be the friend joining him.

"Oooh my friend thinks he's really cute!" the woman responded.

Greenberg then replied that Gaetz was "down here only for the day," adding "we work hard and play hard," before asking, "Have you ever tried molly," referring to the drug MDMA, or Ecstasy.

Better?

(Obviously this particular incident doesn’t involve a minor.  Still, this ain’t a good look for Gaspedal Gaetz.)
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #401 on: August 14, 2021, 03:51:23 AM »
« Edited: August 14, 2021, 03:55:55 AM by Badger »

Keeping your women 18-25 is the DiCaprio Rule, not pedophilia.

Classic Atlas nothingburger.

Trying to hook up a 40-year old friend with a 19-year old sister of your fiance is patently creepy.

Engaging in a so called defense that "it's not technically pedophilia" is beyond cringeworthy.
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #402 on: August 14, 2021, 12:13:59 PM »

Trying to hook up a 40-year old friend with a 19-year old sister of your fiance is patently creepy.

Engaging in a so called defense that "it's not technically pedophilia" is beyond cringeworthy.

The defense is that it's not criminal, and thus not of interest to American law enforcement. It's completely unrelated to the topic of this thread, which is whether or not Matt Gaetz participated in prostitution or trafficking. If Gaetz is guilty of either of those, then liberals bringing up irrelevant crap like this will just make it easier for him to deny it all.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #403 on: August 15, 2021, 12:51:00 AM »

The defense is that it's not criminal, and thus not of interest to American law enforcement. It's completely unrelated to the topic of this thread, which is whether or not Matt Gaetz participated in prostitution or trafficking. If Gaetz is guilty of either of those, then liberals bringing up irrelevant crap like this will just make it easier for him to deny it all.

Again, solid indicia of using his position and Authority to pimp out teenage girls traded among his Circle of Friends is more than a little relevant
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #404 on: August 31, 2021, 05:42:04 PM »

Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #405 on: August 31, 2021, 05:49:41 PM »

Well, that changes the Tucker Carlson interview a lot.
Non Swing Voter
Junior Chimp

« Reply #406 on: August 31, 2021, 08:48:40 PM »

How is it that these ancillary characters that did stuff after the investigation was well under way have been charged before Matt Gaetz?  This has been dragging out too long considering the nature of the underlying allegations.  If Federal Prosecutors really think he's a child predator shouldn't they want to get him off the street stat?
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #407 on: August 31, 2021, 10:59:29 PM »

How is it that these ancillary characters that did stuff after the investigation was well under way have been charged before Matt Gaetz?  This has been dragging out too long considering the nature of the underlying allegations.  If Federal Prosecutors really think he's a child predator shouldn't they want to get him off the street stat?
These investigations take a long time. They want to make sure they have every possible piece of evidence before charging someone, especially when it’s as complex of a case as this one.

Joel Greenberg was supposed to be sentenced a couple weeks ago but he got a delay so he can get a better deal from the feds and give them more info. I doubt that anything against Gaetz comes before he’s been sentenced.

Or, maybe he actually didn’t do anything wrong and was just in the wrong place at the wrong time. But I highly doubt that.
Non Swing Voter
Junior Chimp

« Reply #408 on: August 31, 2021, 11:06:49 PM »

How is it that these ancillary characters that did stuff after the investigation was well under way have been charged before Matt Gaetz?  This has been dragging out too long considering the nature of the underlying allegations.  If Federal Prosecutors really think he's a child predator shouldn't they want to get him off the street stat?
These investigations take a long time. They want to make sure they have every possible piece of evidence before charging someone, especially when it’s as complex of a case as this one.

Joel Greenberg was supposed to be sentenced a couple weeks ago but he got a delay so he can get a better deal from the feds and give them more info. I doubt that anything against Gaetz comes before he’s been sentenced.

Or, maybe he actually didn’t do anything wrong and was just in the wrong place at the wrong time. But I highly doubt that.

Is it though?  I haven't been following closely but I thought he allegedly took a minor across state lines to have sex with her.  This doesn't seem that complex, either he did that or he didn't and either they have a witness or some evidence or not?  It's not like it's some complicated corporate tax fraud scheme like the NY cases against Trump.
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #409 on: August 31, 2021, 11:18:22 PM »
« Edited: August 31, 2021, 11:22:39 PM by Dr. MB »

Is it though?  I haven't been following closely but I thought he allegedly took a minor across state lines to have sex with her.  This doesn't seem that complex, either he did that or he didn't and either they have a witness or some evidence or not?  It's not like it's some complicated corporate tax fraud scheme like the NY cases against Trump.
I'm pretty sure he was involved in some financial stuff and coverups too? At least Greenberg was.

Edit: Look at the Wikipedia section. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matt_Gaetz#Federal_investigations_into_sex_trafficking

It's not that simple. Possible prostitution ring, travel to the Bahamas for some shady sexual stuff, etc. There are a lot of ends to tie up here. And the original issue isn't about just "taking her across state lines". It's about whether he paid her to do that and the possibility of a larger sex trafficking operation around this.
NYSforKennedy2024
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #410 on: September 01, 2021, 12:47:53 PM »

Annnndddd this thread now goes into the library of Atlas Nothingburgers.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #411 on: September 01, 2021, 12:59:46 PM »

Annnndddd this thread now goes into the library of Atlas Nothingburgers.

I wouldn't assume it's a nothingburger.  It's entirely possible that both of these are true:

1. Gaetz has engaged in criminal activity.

2. Someone tried to extort his father for it.

IMO (1) being true would make the attempt in (2) more plausible.
Crumpets
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #412 on: October 21, 2021, 10:02:38 PM »

ABC News: DOJ adds 2 top prosecutors to Matt Gaetz investigation, sources say

Two top prosecutors in the Justice Department were added several months ago to the ongoing federal probe examining sex trafficking allegations against Rep. Matt Gaetz, two sources familiar with the matter confirmed to ABC News.

The Washington-based prosecutors, one with expertise in child exploitation crimes and the other a top official in the DOJ's Public Integrity Section, have been on the Florida-based case since at least July. In recent months, they joined a team in Florida that's been looking into whether Gaetz violated federal law by providing goods or payments to a 17-year-old girl in exchange for sex, sources confirmed to ABC News. The news of the new prosecutors was first reported by The New York Times.

Gaetz has not been charged with a crime and has denied any wrongdoing. In a statement to ABC News on Thursday, a spokesperson for Gaetz said, "Congressman Gaetz is innocent. The former DOJ official who tried to extort him is guilty. No number of political operative prosecutors at a politically weaponized DOJ will change this."
LtNOWIS

« Reply #413 on: September 23, 2022, 11:30:28 AM »

All the people saying "Gaetz is screwed, charges are imminent" were wrong. DoJ doesn't prosecute unless they think they have a sure thing. If someone might have done an illegal thing, but they can't prove it beyond a reasonable doubt to a jury, then they don't press charges.

Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« Reply #414 on: September 23, 2022, 12:46:01 PM »

All the people saying "Gaetz is screwed, charges are imminent" were wrong. DoJ doesn't prosecute unless they think they have a sure thing. If someone might have done an illegal thing, but they can't prove it beyond a reasonable doubt to a jury, then they don't press charges.

This really doesn't surprise me.  
As much as I'd love to see all these ultra-MAGA douchebags in prison ASAP, this case always seems extremely flimsy to me, as I posted in this thread when the story first got traction (a year and a half ago!):

Does anyone have a clear sense for what crimes Gaetz could realistically be charged with in this case?

There are now a lot of pretty credible allegations that he has done a whole bunch of disgusting stuff.

But it is unclear to me how any of this is obviously a crime, especially a federal crime.  

I mean, you could make a theoretical argument that it violates multiple prostitution-adjacent federal laws, but only in such a tenuous way that I doubt anyone would reasonably expect a conviction on any of it.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #415 on: September 23, 2022, 04:51:07 PM »

The elite class rarely answer for their crimes. Disappointment, but not a surprise.
philly09

« Reply #416 on: September 23, 2022, 05:51:21 PM »

Crumpets
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #417 on: September 23, 2022, 07:10:23 PM »

It's interesting to remember the first word we had of this scandal was that Gaetz was going to be accepting some other job and declining to run for re-election. But after the story broke, all that went away. Kind of seems like he's learned the lesson of the Trump era to just never show shame or acknowledge any wrongdoing and everyone but your critics will just move on with no damage to your career prospects.
Saint Milei
DeadPrez
Atlas Politician
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -7.91

« Reply #418 on: September 23, 2022, 08:37:44 PM »

Atlas liberals lose again
Kahane's Grave Is A Gender-Neutral Bathroom
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix
E: 3.41, S: -1.29

P
« Reply #419 on: September 23, 2022, 09:42:38 PM »

Haha we beat sex trafficking charges! Suck it Atlas libtards!
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #420 on: September 23, 2022, 10:06:02 PM »

... Along with the underage girls Gaetz raped. But hey, as long as the libs were owned, right?
Saint Milei
DeadPrez
Atlas Politician
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #421 on: September 23, 2022, 10:31:10 PM »

... Along with the underage girls Gaetz raped. But hey, as long as the libs were owned, right?

proof he raped underage girls?
Saint Milei
DeadPrez
Atlas Politician
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #422 on: September 23, 2022, 10:31:28 PM »

Haha we beat sex trafficking charges! Suck it Atlas libtards!
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #423 on: September 23, 2022, 11:15:06 PM »

You seem very celebratory for someone who throws around accusations of grooming at essentially every LGBTQ+ person.
Saint Milei
DeadPrez
Atlas Politician
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #424 on: September 24, 2022, 12:02:17 AM »

You seem very celebratory for someone who throws around accusations of grooming at essentially every LGBTQ+ person.

Well you guys slandered him for two years and called him a rapist with no proof. People will still continue to do so (cough Ferguson). It's good to know when someone is no longer accused of crime they never committed. 
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies