500K+ to lose SNAP benefits as 22 states bring back work requirements (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 20, 2024, 11:59:08 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  500K+ to lose SNAP benefits as 22 states bring back work requirements (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 500K+ to lose SNAP benefits as 22 states bring back work requirements  (Read 2610 times)
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« on: April 03, 2016, 12:40:00 PM »

Good. People need to learn that you have to work in life, you shouldn't be able to just sit and poach off the government while telling your kids that that's the way to live. The young, disabled, and old are exempted, so don't try that argument.

Okay, but...in many communities, and for many people, there simply aren't jobs to be found. Do you honestly think there's a significant constituency of people who would rather live on SNAP than work and get paid decently? And don't give me this 'TEACHING THEIR CHILDREN A ~BAD WORK ETHIC~' bullsh**t; the people this is affecting don't have dependents to TEACH A ~BAD WORK ETHIC~ to.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2016, 01:07:11 PM »

Good. People need to learn that you have to work in life, you shouldn't be able to just sit and poach off the government while telling your kids that that's the way to live. The young, disabled, and old are exempted, so don't try that argument.

Okay, but...in many communities, and for many people, there simply aren't jobs to be found. Do you honestly think there's a significant constituency of people who would rather live on SNAP than work and get paid decently? And don't give me this 'TEACHING THEIR CHILDREN A ~BAD WORK ETHIC~' bullsh**t; the people this is affecting don't have dependents to TEACH A ~BAD WORK ETHIC~ to.

I have the interesting situation of having a parent who teaches in a poorer part of the state capitol. I'm not going into details, but I can assure you that people on welfare do have kids, and it is not unheard of for those kids to literally look forward to living on welfare. Granted, MN is more generous than a lot of states when it comes to welfare, but still.

Well...fine, but 1. kids have a tendency to look forward to any number of really undesirable things about their parents' lives, 2. this policy doesn't affect people with kids anyway, and 3. if even a few people are unjustly kicked off their only means of getting food, it doesn't really matter how many people are 'justly' kicked off, does it? On top of everything else it's not like the sort of assistance one gets with SNAP is particularly, uh, good.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2016, 02:17:17 PM »

Yes, well, of course you can 'deal with it'. You are not the issue.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2016, 08:16:49 PM »

It's great that Wulfric's parent teaches poor kids, but I've been a poor kid; I've been on SNAP, and this type of policy and this type of rhetoric honestly, personally distress and upset me.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2016, 01:35:23 AM »

I work at a grocery store as a cashier and I can tell you that there are WAY too many people on food stamps who don't need them.  I had one customer recently who bought $200 worth of porterhouse steaks and crab legs all on an EBT card.  That's an extreme example but almost every day I get someone paying EBT for a $20 steak, or a $15 sushi platter, or a $5 pint of Ben & Jerry's, and of course they have cash for beer, wine, cigarettes, and lottery tickets.  And this is in a middle class area, I can't imagine the kind of fraud that goes on at stores in poor neighborhoods.

Yes, but what about the welfare queens driving by in their Cadillacs?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies