If you could choose how to reform the Presidential Elections, what would it be? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 10:13:21 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Process (Moderator: muon2)
  If you could choose how to reform the Presidential Elections, what would it be? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: If you could choose how to reform the Presidential Elections, what would it be?  (Read 9993 times)
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« on: December 27, 2007, 04:41:20 PM »

Two votes is just another prop for two parties; you could do approval voting, which is the equivalent of having any number of votes but can only vote for each candidate once, but that tends to result in unknown candidates doing well, which may or may not be a good thing.

Strict IRV is fine with me, but without electoral votes.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2007, 03:06:58 PM »

Nationwide IRV poll with a NOTA option.

Why?
A nationwide poll because all citizens should be equal in an election. The value of one's vote for the Presidency shouldn't depend on where in the Union one happens to reside.
IRV because it allows the voter to express his true preferences without concern for wasting his vote; and encourages a greater number of candidates to stand giving the voter greater choice.

Greetings to Ireland! I wanted to ask you if you could explain how the ballots are, voting counting (manual or machine) and is there some sort of fee or number of petition signatures candidates in Ireland need to get when they run for Pres? Thanks Wink

My impression is that Irish Presidential elections are only occasionally contested and never competitive, partially because the President has few powers.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies