US House Redistricting: Washington (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 20, 2024, 04:09:10 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  US House Redistricting: Washington (search mode)
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: US House Redistricting: Washington  (Read 85110 times)
Seattle
United States

« Reply #25 on: December 28, 2011, 03:36:18 PM »

It appears WA-7 is now just 77.1% Murray, down about five % points, it's also now 72.5% white
Seattle
United States

« Reply #26 on: December 28, 2011, 09:55:38 PM »

So we can assume that if the political environment doesn't better for the President we're looking at a 5-5 delegation next year?

No, I wouldn't say that yet. We don't know who the Republican candidate will be for the first and if it only voted 51% Rossi, it really is a 50-50 district.
I'd say there is an equal chance the delegation will be 6-4 D or 5-5.
Seattle
United States

« Reply #27 on: December 29, 2011, 08:41:13 PM »

We deserve this after getting screwed in Arizona.

The 2nd district makes perfect sense.  All those I-5 cities belong in one seat, the rural areas belong in one seat. 
Uh... no. Well, you can make the case that I-5 corridor fits together, but the resulting rural areas in the first are not even road contiguous, and the Northern part of the district has nothing to do with the urban seattle suburbs in King county.

The way the second is now make plenty more sense. Honestly, they could have just pulled out Everett from the second and kept Lake Stevens/Snohomish/Monroe, and boom you have a great tossup district.
Seattle
United States

« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2011, 12:36:15 AM »

We deserve this after getting screwed in Arizona.

The 2nd district makes perfect sense.  All those I-5 cities belong in one seat, the rural areas belong in one seat. 
Uh... no. Well, you can make the case that I-5 corridor fits together, but the resulting rural areas in the first are not even road contiguous, and the Northern part of the district has nothing to do with the urban seattle suburbs in King county.

The way the second is now make plenty more sense. Honestly, they could have just pulled out Everett from the second and kept Lake Stevens/Snohomish/Monroe, and boom you have a great tossup district.

A district can be entirely placed in Snohomish county with about 41K to spare. However Everett has about 100K and can't be removed and leave a whole district. If there is a district entirely within Snohomish part must be used to connect part of Island county through Stanwood, and another part should be used to connect King to Stevens Pass. What's left is a district entirely within Snohomish that is going to lean D.
While you can fit one in Snohomish county, where do you put Whatcom and Skagit counties? It makes no sense to put them into eastern Washington and conntecting them to the Olympic Peninsula, while its been done before, it is not ideal and it makes plenty more sense to simply continue south into Snohomish county.
Seattle
United States

« Reply #29 on: December 30, 2011, 12:58:55 AM »

Between the cities, sure, but in terms of transportation.... its pretty ridiculous. From Bellingham you would have to drive to Anacortes, go through Deception Pass (a bridge) drive 2/3 through Whidbey Island, get on the Port Townsend - Keystone ferry and then drive from PT to Port Angeles. vs. taking an hour drive on I-5 to Everett.

There is precedent.... but Im talking about in terms of what's more sensible. Counties are big in WA, don't try to crack them, but communities of interest are far more important.
Pages: 1 [2]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies