Hyouzel's 2022 Ratings (JULY Edition, scroll to bottom)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 04, 2024, 02:42:47 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Hyouzel's 2022 Ratings (JULY Edition, scroll to bottom)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Hyouzel's 2022 Ratings (JULY Edition, scroll to bottom)  (Read 868 times)
hyouzel the predictor
hyouzel
United States

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 09, 2022, 11:40:23 AM »
« edited: July 02, 2022, 04:57:36 PM by hyouzel the predictor »

HOUSE

Safe R (FLIP):

AZ-02 (O'Halleran)
CA-05 (OPEN)
GA-06 (McBath)
MT-02 (NEW)
TN-05 (Cooper)

Likely R:

AZ-06 (Kirkpatrick)
CA-41 (Calvert)
FL-07 (Murphy)
FL-27 (Elvira Salazar)
FL-28 (Gimenez)
IA-01 (MMM)
IA-02 (Hinson)
MD-01 (Harris)
WI-01 (Steil)
WI-03 (Kind)
CA-40 (Kim)
PA-01 (Fitzpatrick)
MI-10 (OPEN)

Lean R:
FL-13 (Crist)
FL-15 (OPEN)
IA-03 (Axne)
NC-13 (OPEN)
NE-02 (Bacon)
NJ-07 (Malinowski)
PA-08 (Cartwright)
TX-15 (OPEN)
VA-02 (Luria)
CA-45 (Steel)
PA-07 (Wild)
NH-01 (Pappas)

Tossup:
CO-08 (NEW)
IL-17 (Bustos)
KS-03 (Davids)
ME-02 (Golden)

MI-03 (Meijer)
MI-07 (Slotkin)
MI-08 (Kildee)
MN-02 (Craig)

NM-02 (Herrell)
NV-03 (Lee)
NY-18 (SPM)
OR-05 (Schrader)
PA-17 (Lamb)

TX-28 (Cuellar)
VA-07 (Spanberger)
WA-08 (Schrier)

NY-11 (Malliotakis)

Lean D:

AZ-04 (Stanton)
CA-13 (Harder)
CA-22 (Valadao)
CA-27 (Garcia)

CA-47 (Porter)
CA-49 (Levin)
CT-02 (Courtney)
CT-05 (Hayes)
FL-14 (Castor)
FL-23 (Deutch)
GA-02 (Bishop)
IL-06 (Newman/Casten)
IL-13 (OPEN)
IL-14 (Underwood)
IN-01 (Mrvan)
NC-01 (Butterfield)
NM-03 (Fernandez)
NV-01 (Titus)
NV-04 (Horsford)
NY-01 (Zeldin)
NY-19 (Delgado

Likely D:
CA-09 (McNerney)
CA-21 (Nunes/???)
CA-25 (Ruiz)
CO-07 (Perlmutter)
FL-03 (Lawson)
FL-09 (Soto)
FL-22 (Frankel)
IL-11 (Foster)
NC-14 (NEW)
NJ-03 (Kim)
NJ-05 (Gottheimer)
NJ-11 (Sherrill)
NM-01 (Stansbury)
NY-03 (Suozzi)
NY-04 (Rice)

NY-17 (Jones)
OR-04 (DeFazio)
OR-06 (NEW)
PA-06 (Houlahan)
TX-34 (Vela)
VA-10 (Wexton)
NH-01 (Kuster)
RI-02 (Langevin)

Safe D (FLIPS):
NY-22 (Katko)

House Prediction: 233R-202D

SENATE

Safe R:
LA-Kennedy
MO-Open
ND-Hoeven
ID-Crapo
OK-Lankford
OK-OPEN (Inhofe)
SC-Scott
SD-Thune
UT-Lee
IN-Young
KS-Moran
KY-Paul
OH-OPEN
AR-Boozman
IA-Grassley
AL-OPEN

Likely R:
UT-Lee (McMullin v Lee, no Dem)
OH-OPEN (Mandel v Ryan)
FL-Rubio
AK-Murkowski

Lean R:
NC-OPEN
WI-Johnson

Tossup:
AZ-Kelly
GA-Warnock
PA-OPEN
NV-CCM

Lean D:
NH-Hassan

Likely D:

WA-Murray
CO-Bennet
IL-Duckworth

Safe D:
VT-OPEN
OR-Wyden
NY-Schumer
MD-Van Hollen
CA-Padilla
CT-Blumenthal
HI-Schatz

GOVERNORSHIPS

Safe R:
AL-Ivey
AR-Hutchinson
IA-Reynolds
ID-Little
NE-Ricketts
NH-Sununu
OH-DeWine
OK-Stitt
SC-McMaster
SD-Noem
TN-Lee
TX-Abbott
VT-Scott
WY-Gordon

Likely R:
AK-Dunleavy
FL-DeSantis

Lean R:
GA-Kemp
WI-Evers
KS-Kelly

Tossup:
PA-Wolf
MN-Walz
NV-Sisolak
AZ-Ducey

Lean D:
MI-Whitmer
ME-Mills
NM-Grisham
OR-Brown

Likely D:
CO-Polis
CT-Lamont
IL-Pritzker
MA-Baker
MD-Hogan

Safe D:
RI-McKee
NY-Hochul
CA-Newsom
HI-Ige

Will be updating occasionally as we approach EDay... Let me know what you think!
Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.13, S: -0.87

P P P
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2022, 01:39:36 PM »

MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2022, 02:02:42 PM »

I don’t see how RI-GOV (Safe D) is less likely to go D than MA-GOV or MD-GOV (both Likely D). Placing MN-GOV in the same category (Toss-up) as NV-GOV and even AZ-GOV (and one category to the right of MI-GOV) is also... bold.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2022, 02:05:41 PM »

These ratings arent inevitable you see Charlie Crist is leading FL and Chuck Todd just said OH and NC Senate aren't Safe R Budd and Vance are losers
UncleSam

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2022, 02:26:35 PM »

Looks reasonable! I think you may be being slightly nice to Dems in the senate but if the environment tilts slightly toward Ds by November I think you’re spot-on.
Chips
Those Chips
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2022, 08:43:58 AM »

Wow, that's one of the cleanest and least biased set of ratings I've seen! As someone who tries to avoid bias when making predictions as best as possible myself, you got my respect!
hyouzel the predictor
hyouzel
United States

P P
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2022, 09:35:57 AM »

I don’t see how RI-GOV (Safe D) is less likely to go D than MA-GOV or MD-GOV (both Likely D). Placing MN-GOV in the same category (Toss-up) as NV-GOV and even AZ-GOV (and one category to the right of MI-GOV) is also... bold.

MD and MA are only Likely D because I tend to avoid safe ratings for flips... The RIGOP doesn't really have a great candidate as their best chance of narrowing this race is running for RI-02 in  Cranston Mayor Allan Fung. Whitmer being Lean D is my Hot Take TM of this cycle which I wouldn't be surprised to see disproven but a governor that has established herself as a reverse DeSantis who leads her challengers with over 50% in all polls that also outran Biden/Clinton by high single digits is certainly on a different political tier than the other competitive D held governorships... I additionally would not be shocked if we will see not necessarily a red wave but a massive anti-incumbent wave because of COVID, simultaneously ousting Evers/Sisolak and Kemp/Walz. MI-GOV could easily go to Tossup or even Lean R if the numbers become more concerning for Dems but as of now Whitmer should be happy as the campaign becomes less about COVID/lockdowns. Polling suggests a clear discrepancy between Biden approval rating and political outcome (as people tend to view VA and NJ as the only examples of major elections in the last 2 years whereas the mean election result has been only a few points to the right of 2020) so I will be very curious to see what happens this election. It will be fascinating for political scientists on many levels as we see what happens with potential suburban reversion to Youngkin-level coalitions in certain states and perhaps a Hispanic return to the Democratic party to some degree... Wouldn't it make perfect political sense for DeSantis to lose in a R wave just because Florida is wacky and wild?
hyouzel the predictor
hyouzel
United States

P P
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2022, 09:36:58 AM »

These ratings arent inevitable you see Charlie Crist is leading FL and Chuck Todd just said OH and NC Senate aren't Safe R Budd and Vance are losers

Charlie Crist being 50-50 in a DFP internal =/= Florida is competitive

Also since when has Chuck Todd been right about anything? Vance and Budd would certainly do worse than they should according to fundamentals but they would not lose...
hyouzel the predictor
hyouzel
United States

P P
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2022, 09:38:45 AM »

Looks reasonable! I think you may be being slightly nice to Dems in the senate but if the environment tilts slightly toward Ds by November I think you’re spot-on.

Most of my tossups are Tilt R because on the one hand fundamentals suggest an R sweep but on the other hand if the candidates are legitimately insane I have a hard time believing that moderate suburbanites will vote for them in droves
hyouzel the predictor
hyouzel
United States

P P
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2022, 09:39:57 AM »

Wow, that's one of the cleanest and least biased set of ratings I've seen! As someone who tries to avoid bias when making predictions as best as possible myself, you got my respect!

Thank you very much! While it certainly pains me as a left-leaning person to predict major losses, I learned from 2020 not to let your politics/perspective cloud objective judgements.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2022, 10:06:29 AM »

Likely D Barnes and Fetterman
Tossup Runoffs  LA and GA

Everything else is safe
52/53 SEATS
hyouzel the predictor
hyouzel
United States

P P
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2022, 04:57:03 PM »

House Prediction

Only major exceptions from other pundits are:

MI-10 as Tilt R (I think this race has a great probability of an upset thanks to John James not even living in the district and the excellent candidate that is Carl Marlinga)

CA-27 as Lean R due to Valadao's overperformance in the primary

RI-02 as Tilt D (although this could very well become Tilt R if more polling suggests a "narrow D lead"

CA-13 as Tilt D (due to very low CA Hispanic turnout in off years and the very weak primary performances in the Central Valley from Dems).

Other than that, pretty standard no-tossup map I would say.

Senate Prediction

Unfortunately, Senator Greitens/Hartzler/whoever wins the crowded MO primary and Senator Vance are inevitabilities come next January. There is literally nothing that can disqualify a republican candidate in the eyes of many loyal voters (not wife/child abuse [Greitens], not never living in the state [Oz], not even actual brain damage [Walker]) so these two are absolutely going to win, Safe R.

Ron Johnson and Ted Budd will cruise to election/reelection thanks to the nature of this environment but are absolutely vulnerable (specifically Budd as Johnson most likely retires) in 2028, but as of now, Likely R barring a major scandal.

Fetterman faces an uphill climb as Oz's many flaws are not as important as a reliable R vote in the Senate to many suburban conservative voters, so this race is Lean R as of now. This could become more competitive but this combined with Fetterman's health problems that have really handicapped his campaign so far aren't a good sign.

Georgia and Arizona are in very similar places and I expect both races to go the same way: moderate Democrat elected in a rapidly D trending Trump majority - Biden plurality states with opponents that are either insane (Masters seeking to privatise social security) or mentally ill (Walker giving any speech about anything). These races are going to be razor thin regardless, and just because of the environment I'm going to give it to Rs here but this could go either way and I would not be surprised.

CCM is in a similar boat, but because her opponent isn't visibly insane or delusional she probably goes down even if the other two survive. Hassan, on the other hand, narrowly wins (this race will probably get written off as Lean D and stay there the whole cycle only to be one of the closest D-won states like MI-Sen 2020).

Bennet is weaker than many expect thanks to his opponent being very moderate and probably getting many Trump-Biden voters on his side. Would not be surprised if this seat flips in a sizeable wave, but Bennet is definitely in a competitive race here. I don't buy into the Smiley hype (she probably loses by 5-7 points) and I don't think any other races will be competitive.

Governor Prediction

OR, PA, and NM will be the closest governor's races of this cycle. OR is only competitive due to Betsy Johnson who will inevitably take between 5-10 percent from Kotek and very few voters from Drazan. In PA, the ball is in Mastriano's court to redefine himself as not an insane neo-nazi which I think he will struggle to do, but as of now and because PA voted for Biden by 3 pts only, Tilt R.

Mills will most likely narrowly defeat LePage but would not be surprised if he wins (will be within 3 points either way). Ronchetti has great odds to defeat Lujan Grisham if national Dems do not take that race seriously (which I have not seen so far) but I still need to see some polling before I give him the lead.

Laura Kelly is unfortunately DOA in a Biden midterm but I will wait for some good polls until moving that race to Safe R. Polis, Pritzker, Hochul, Newsom will all be fine.

DeSantis probably wins by 7-10 points (less than the national swing from 2020-2022 but still overperforming polls), same with Abbott (probably by 10-12 pts. over Beto). 

Alaska could be close due to RCV and the candidacy of Bill Walker as an independent, so that could unexpectedly result in a D/I win on an otherwise grim night.

Let me know your thoughts!!
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies