So. What now? And when?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 13, 2024, 11:33:18 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  So. What now? And when?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: So. What now? And when?  (Read 2054 times)
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 29, 2008, 01:42:53 PM »

With the defeat of the bailout, what's likely to happen now? And when?
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2008, 01:43:16 PM »

Another version of the bailout with some armtwisting. I'm just hoping it's not as bad of a package.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2008, 01:45:06 PM »

A rushed bill may actually be worse.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2008, 01:57:04 PM »

I think the biggest problem with the $700B was that it was too big and broad.  They need to pass a series of smaller bills.  For starters, it will be less politically dangerous for candidates running for office in close races (both dems and reps).  Secondly, the bills will be more focused on what they are suppose to do.  Lastly, the more contentious issues will be debated longer (such as long-term powers provided to the Sec of Tres) without holding up the needed funding in key areas.
ChrisFromNJ

Political Matrix
E: -5.35, S: -8.61

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2008, 02:34:52 PM »

I think the biggest problem with the $700B was that it was too big and broad.  They need to pass a series of smaller bills.  For starters, it will be less politically dangerous for candidates running for office in close races (both dems and reps).  Secondly, the bills will be more focused on what they are suppose to do.  Lastly, the more contentious issues will be debated longer (such as long-term powers provided to the Sec of Tres) without holding up the needed funding in key areas.

The bill voted on today had the Treasury receiving $200 billion initially and then receiving the other $500 billion after Congressional approval.

This bill was entirely reasonable.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2008, 02:41:37 PM »

The bill voted on today had the Treasury receiving $200 billion initially and then receiving the other $500 billion after Congressional approval.

No, because it was an omnibus bill that was too entangled in too many different aspects.  It needs to be broken up and passed in separate pieces. 
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2008, 02:47:51 PM »

No, because it was an omnibus bill that was too entangled in too many different aspects.  It needs to be broken up and passed in separate pieces. 

Your sig is interesting. So we're seeing a last minute rally.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2008, 02:53:22 PM »

They'll draft a new bill, but it won't be a for a few days as the Jewish people will be observing Rahshashana.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2008, 05:38:40 PM »

An amended bill, I'd assume.
ChrisFromNJ

Political Matrix
E: -5.35, S: -8.61

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2008, 05:48:37 PM »

I doubt the House GOP goes along with this bailout bill in its current form.

I would expect their version of the bill to be on the floor Thursday ready for an up or down vote.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2008, 06:12:18 PM »

I doubt the House GOP goes along with this bailout bill in its current form.

I would expect their version of the bill to be on the floor Thursday ready for an up or down vote.

I didn't necessarily mean this bill with changes - I meant a different bill, whether that's modeled after this one or just started from scratch.
Jacobtm

« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2008, 11:30:47 PM »

They'll draft a new bill, but it won't be a for a few days as the Jewish people will be observing Rahshashana.

It's only too appropriate that the bankers who caused this crisis are now celebrating the downfall of the American economy.
+1

Hopefully we'll get a bill that deals with the real root of this crisis; THE JEW!
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2008, 11:36:12 PM »

That's what they were trying to push through at first.
NDN
Uganda

« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2008, 11:42:15 PM »

That's what they were trying to push through at first.
I'm sure the fact that Chairman Paulson and co are affiliated with Goldman Sachs (and others) had nothing to do with it. No sir, no conflict of interest there at all. Go back to sleep, America.
ottermax
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -6.09

P P
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2008, 12:03:50 AM »

It's only too appropriate that the bankers who caused this crisis are now celebrating the downfall of the American economy.

If there was a crisis on Christmas Eve, Congress would still go on vacation. You're comment disgusts me.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies