Political Books/Articles Still Worth Reading (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 10:33:52 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate
  Book Reviews and Discussion (Moderator: Torie)
  Political Books/Articles Still Worth Reading (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Political Books/Articles Still Worth Reading  (Read 9232 times)
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« on: November 20, 2013, 08:04:25 PM »

The only "political book" remotely worth reading is Fear and Loathing on the Campaign Trail '72.
I really despise this position, as awesome as Fear and Loathing was. I have found great value in political books, and biographies in particular. I just checked out The Years of Lyndon Johnson/Path to Power by Robert Caro. I also have The Power Broker (also Caro), which I intend to start reading after I finish Double Down.

Campaign books are great, and having worked on a few small to medium scale campaigns, they are surprisingly accurate and less West Wing/House of Cardsish then you would think. While Double Down and Game Change both focus around what is basically supermarket tabloid gossip, the actual interactions/decisions behind the stories are what interest me. I could care less if Christie shared a hotel room with a fellow US Attorney who happened to be female, but I am intrigued as to how the staff found out about it, and how they reasoned the media would deal with it. Of course, I plan on working in this field:P.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2020, 02:47:51 PM »

The only "political book" remotely worth reading is Fear and Loathing on the Campaign Trail '72.
I really despise this position, as awesome as Fear and Loathing was. I have found great value in political books, and biographies in particular. I just checked out The Years of Lyndon Johnson/Path to Power by Robert Caro. I also have The Power Broker (also Caro), which I intend to start reading after I finish Double Down.

Campaign books are great, and having worked on a few small to medium scale campaigns, they are surprisingly accurate and less West Wing/House of Cardsish then you would think. While Double Down and Game Change both focus around what is basically supermarket tabloid gossip, the actual interactions/decisions behind the stories are what interest me. I could care less if Christie shared a hotel room with a fellow US Attorney who happened to be female, but I am intrigued as to how the staff found out about it, and how they reasoned the media would deal with it. Of course, I plan on working in this field:P.

I really like Game Change, is Double Down as good?
I thought it was better than Game Change myself.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies