Questions for the NRA (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 21, 2024, 01:59:40 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Questions for the NRA (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Questions for the NRA  (Read 2962 times)
rwoy
« on: December 23, 2012, 02:35:31 PM »

1) What is the practical use of weapons with >10 bullet mags?

1a) If your answer is "self defense", are you suggesting that 10 bullets isn't enough to stop someone?

1b) If your answer is "protection from the government", do you really think that little of the US Military and the billions we spend on National Defense to think that you and your arsenal can overpower them?

1c) If your answer is "I'm a hobbyist and it is protected in the Constituition", then would you agree that if they could afford it someone should be allowed to own a nuclear weapon?

2) What is wrong with Wayne LaPierre that he couldn't just say "This school shooting was a horrid tragedy caused by a criminal with obvious mental problems.  We at the NRA have always promoted firearm safety and will continue to work with law enforcement and the US government ensure that firearms are only used in a safe and lawful manner."?  (His tirade about the media and school safety was a disgusting embarassment.)
rwoy
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2012, 10:42:47 PM »

Multiple assailants?  I promise you this, if multiple assailants come at you, all you need to do is threaten to shoot one and most will back off.  If there are more than 10 then you are f'd (even if you have a weapon with a mag with more than 10 bullets).
rwoy
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2012, 07:36:23 PM »

Multiple assailants?  I promise you this, if multiple assailants come at you, all you need to do is threaten to shoot one and most will back off.  If there are more than 10 then you are f'd (even if you have a weapon with a mag with more than 10 bullets).

Is Rwoy a perfect shot somehow, capable of taking down 10 mobile adult men with 10 bullets, or does he have experience in this manner?

Nope, but then again if you reread my post I suggest that you only need to threaten to shoot one.  And if you can't hit someone with 10 shots then you shouldn't have a gun because clearly you aren't competent to operate one properly.  And again, lets remember that you can "reload".  If you are being rushed by 5 assilants you are f'd even if you have a weapon with a > 10 bullet mag.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Why not?  We've been gambling w/ our lives that somehow more weapons on the streets equates to a safer society.  But Canada, the UK, and Ireland (all nations which are VERY similar to ours except with stricter gun laws) all have less per capita crime and violence.  So .... why not give that a try for a change?
rwoy
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2012, 01:34:18 PM »

So krazen & DC Al both think that the United States is more like South Africa, Mexico, and Brazil than it is like Canada, the UK, and Ireland??  Honestly?  That is what you think?  Do I really need to go through the explanation of why that is ridiculous?

Now to respond to krazen's comment about where I get my conclusions about "threaten one and all will back down".  I get that from 2 places.  First is from the suggestion of a friend of mine growing up who is currently an instructor at the US Military Academy.  He said a standard method of crowd control isn't to threaten to kill everyone ... just one.  No one wants to be the "one".  Second is from common sense.

Look, I don't think we should ban all weapons.  But I do think we should do a better job of controlling how they are distributed and their capabilities.  Just as automobiles have things such as "emission standards", it makes sense for firearms to have rules and regulations.
rwoy
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2012, 03:36:19 PM »

So you are not going to bother to demonstrate a single instance of this 'suggestion' working, and we are supposed to simply take your word for it, or, alternatively, the word of your alleged 'friend'?

How about I do you one better and give you an example of non-deadly force being used to stop a riot?

http://blogs.dallasobserver.com/unfairpark/2012/12/fort_worth_police_quell_small.php

Can you give me an example of someone in the United States needing more than 10 bullets to stop an assailant (or assailants)?  All we need is 1 example.

To be certain the firearm issued to law enforcement varies widely as does the size of the clip.  When a law enforcement officer must discharge his weapon he is accountable for every round he fires.  I believe the NYPD and Philly police force use the Glock 19 w/ a 10 rd mag.
rwoy
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2012, 06:41:40 PM »

Quite easy. Here the cops required 84 rounds. Contrary to rwoy's bizarre assertion that 'threatening' the assailant would lead to him surrendering, such a verbal warning led to the assailant attempting to shoot the cops.

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/manhattan/it_raining_lead_in_harlem_ISB87yqtPOQzqrT6ekPdGI

And of course your, err, conjecture, is quite incorrect. They use 15 round mags.

Interesting story.  From this link http://www.policeone.com/officer-shootings/articles/5468505-NY-cops-fire-84-shots-at-suspect-who-lives/ they say they hit him 14 times.  This tells me a few things.  First, if you only hit the target 16% of the time then there is a problem and these guys need to go back to the range.  Second, I seriously doubt that after being shot 10 times this guy was still going (I mean it sounds like this guy deserved to die, but I really don't think it takes 14 hits to stop ANYONE).

I refer you back to Canada, the UK, and Ireland where magically people are surviving and are apparently safer than in the United States.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies