Mideast Discussion: Mideastern Budget Amendment (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 01:00:58 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Mideast Discussion: Mideastern Budget Amendment (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Mideast Discussion: Mideastern Budget Amendment  (Read 6089 times)
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« on: January 24, 2013, 03:20:14 AM »

I'll have to oppose this. A supermajority requirement for budget issues is a problem.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2013, 02:20:29 AM »

I'll have to oppose this. A supermajority requirement for budget issues is a problem.

Well would anyone care to give more than a 1-sentence explanation on why they're opposed?  Why is a supermajority such an issue?

Because the presidential (or gubernatorial) system of government already means a significant roadblock to passing legislation. We don't need to add even more distortions.

As budgets are the absolute center issue of any elected government, an elected majority needs to be able to fulfill their mandate. Particularly when we have a proportional system of voting (and that's a good thing), supermajorities are difficult to reach, and I don't think multipartisanship should be the rule. Elections need to have consequences.

The Assembly absolutely should have a budget, and their success should also be judged on their ability to budget well, but that needn't and shouldn't be legislated.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2013, 02:37:27 AM »

How would you propose having a realistic budget that forces balance?

It is obvious that he doesn't want to force balance.

Yes, ultimately.

I approve of fiscal discipline as a general rule, and I would hope that the voters would punish excessively reckless budgeting, but in an election game and in real-life, the voters are in control.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2013, 02:39:45 AM »

How would you propose having a realistic budget that forces balance?

It is obvious that he doesn't want to force balance.

Yes, ultimately.

I approve of fiscal discipline as a general rule, and I would hope that the voters would punish excessively reckless budgeting, but in an election game and in real-life, the voters are in control.

If it starts creating a political divide, it would make interesting debates for the Governor and Assembly races.

If the candidates find the time to debate.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2013, 04:27:02 AM »
« Edited: January 25, 2013, 04:30:28 AM by Senator Franzl »

And number 5 isn't a particularly radical proposal (except maybe the 10 years). It's basically what Scandinavia does. (Ignoring the $100,000 gift... Smiley)
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2013, 05:00:50 PM »

Like Inks pointed out, the debt ceiling is vital. I will NOT support a deal without one.

Unfortunately, that's the issue that will keep me from voting for this. I think there should be a budget, and that the public should be able to see what the Assembly is spending, but I will not accept any restrictions on the Assembly's ability to legislate as they see fit - whether you make the limit 110% or 500%.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies