Why is Minnesota so liberal? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 11:49:51 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Why is Minnesota so liberal? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Why is Minnesota so liberal?  (Read 12625 times)
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« on: September 10, 2016, 08:11:25 PM »

Very large Nordic population (I think around a third of the total state population), which leads to support for left wing policy like bigger social safety nets, progressive taxes, and workers rights and so on.  

Minnesota is also highly educated compared to a lot of other states, which leads it to being pro-science on things like evolution and climate change.     Also this helps (I think at least) with it's very high voter turnout rates.

In the past the farmer's unions used to lead to a strong showing for the Democratic Party, but that's kinda fading, I think Collin Peterson is a remnant of that age.

Finally,  The Twin Cities area makes up about 60% of the state's population, and that leads to support for big government things like infrastructure projects, public transit, public education, and so on.
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2016, 07:28:16 AM »

Minnesota actually has a very close PVI, and, given its whiteness, it could become much more Republican soon.

Minnesota has trended leftward in the last decade if anything.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies