OK State Sen: Dem. elected in 70% Romney seat (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 04:25:48 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  OK State Sen: Dem. elected in 70% Romney seat (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: OK State Sen: Dem. elected in 70% Romney seat  (Read 2466 times)
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« on: January 13, 2016, 12:56:54 AM »

Democrats have won a surprising number of state legislature seats in special elections.

And lost surprising number too. But this is, unquestionably, good. The only question - will it hold?
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2016, 04:10:59 AM »

Democrats have won a surprising number of state legislature seats in special elections.

And lost surprising number too. But this is, unquestionably, good. The only question - will it hold?

At least of the ones I can recall, there have been four state special election seats in formerly/currently-safe Republican areas that Democrats have won in the six months:

• OK HD 85: Cyndi Munson (D), 54% in a 61% Romney district
  • GA HD 80: Taylor Bennett (D), 55% in a 56% Romney district
  • PA HD 161: Leanne Krueger-Braneky (D), 48% in a 56% GOP district
  • OK SD 34: J.J. Dossett (D), 56% in a 70% Romney district

The only R victory I can recall in a special in the past six months is the one Senate seat in GA, which isn't all that surprising given the fact that despite it being a 70% Obama district, all of the recent minority voting population is very young; 65+ voters are still majority-white, while the district as a whole is 58% black VAP.

Yes, but i talk about somewhat bigger time span. And include "near-misses" as, for example, failure to win open state Senate seat in Rhode Island less then 10 days ago. Yes, it was held by republican before, but it was rather strong Obama Seat (56 or 58% IIRC) and outgoing Republican state Senator supported Democratic candidate. Nevertheless - Republicans narrow held it. And last year there was a open state House district not far from Philadelphia, which preferred to elect "pro-labor Republican" instead of Democrat.

I expect a lot of strange results in 2016 specials, and may be (just may be) - in November.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2016, 11:03:07 AM »

Are these one-off instances, or are the winds of change really blowing like my progressive friends would like to deduce from these special elections?

So far i would say one-off. I expect very "spotty" election results this year, with a lot of "contrary to common thinking" situations, but - in ALL directions..
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2016, 11:16:00 AM »

Eh, voters are taking their frustration over the Oklahoma Republican Party's policies out in special elections. I don't really think it's a meaningful trend outside of Oklahoma itself (and, if the KS-2014 races taught us anything, I doubt Ds could pull off a statewide win in OK if 2018 is a Democratic midterm).

I think the same. But Boren is conservative enough to have a chance..
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies