Republicans Begin Adjusting to a Fierce Abortion Backlash
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 11:25:30 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Republicans Begin Adjusting to a Fierce Abortion Backlash
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Republicans Begin Adjusting to a Fierce Abortion Backlash  (Read 1068 times)
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 05, 2022, 09:26:29 AM »

You see? Dobbs has a silver lining. The public square is doing its job. When I think about China (Chinese social media comments complain that Pelosi's plane was not shot down) and Russia and how I look in the mirror, I can get discouraged. But on this issue, everything is going to be OK methinks.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/08/05/us/politics/republicans-abortion-kansas.html
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2022, 10:50:32 AM »

I have no doubt a majority of people in, very likely, every state, support reproductive rights. The fervent pro-life movement is ultimately a niche issue that is being forced upon the majority of Americans by people who wrongly believe America is a Christian nation that must follow the word of God over anything else.

The biggest issue is even if that is the case, many of those same people will vote Republican. It is very unlikely, especially after what we saw in Kansas, that states controlled by Republicans will allow a ballot initiative to go forward.

Our esteemed GOP controlled legislature in South Carolina is currently debating whether to move forward on a bill that not only totally bans abortion, but also makes it illegal to travel to another state for care (unconstitutional) along with attempting to block websites that offer information on how to get an abortion out of state (also unconstitutional).

I'd like to think this extremism will be repudiated by voters come November, at the very least electing Joe Cunningham and sending Henry McMaster into a much needed retirement, but I am not optimistic on that front.

I hope you are right and everything will be ok in the end.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2022, 11:16:23 AM »

There are still some serious problems here though.

First, there are many voters who will shoot down anti-abortion measures in referendum like Kansas's, but will still gladly vote for Republican candidates on a multitude of other issues. The backlash undoubtedly helps Democrats, but I question as to just how deep that's going to go.

Second, a lot of the fundamentals still favor Republicans in the midterms. Inflation and economic worries are hurting Biden and Democrats, not to mention party that still managed to convince 45% of Americans to vote for Trump in 2020 despite- well, everything - has a very High floor of support.

Third, even regarding abortion rights themselves, there are many states which I believe either don't have the option of placing referendum on the ballot to protect abortion rights or other issues, and other states such as Florida where the requirements such as a 60% supermajority of support are quite daunting.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2022, 11:45:09 AM »

First, there are many voters who will shoot down anti-abortion measures in referendum like Kansas's, but will still gladly vote for Republican candidates on a multitude of other issues. The backlash undoubtedly helps Democrats, but I question as to just how deep that's going to go.

Second, a lot of the fundamentals still favor Republicans in the midterms. Inflation and economic worries are hurting Biden and Democrats, not to mention party that still managed to convince 45% of Americans to vote for Trump in 2020 despite- well, everything - has a very High floor of support.

Third, even regarding abortion rights themselves, there are many states which I believe either don't have the option of placing referendum on the ballot to protect abortion rights or other issues, and other states such as Florida where the requirements such as a 60% supermajority of support are quite daunting.

Point three, Wisconsin is screwed. We have a ban from the 1800s, Republicans in charge and no recourse.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2022, 11:51:18 AM »

Point three, Wisconsin is screwed. We have a ban from the 1800s, Republicans in charge and no recourse.

Gonna need to flip the state Supreme Court next year.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2022, 11:55:09 AM »
« Edited: August 05, 2022, 01:27:59 PM by Torie »

Yes, Evers filed a lawsuit, offers clemency for abortion docs, Evers can hold other legislation hostage to a sensible abortion law, voters in WI-03 can ask the Congressional candidates if they favor a sensible national abortion law, and so forth. So it is not as if with no initiative process, and the state legislature being forever Pub, that there are not ways to put the heat on the Pubs. And Ron Johnson is up for re-election. It will be interesting to see if his tone changes.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2022, 12:37:00 PM »

Democrats' message should just be, "Regular everyday Americans are sick and tired of these crazy Republicans who think fifth grade girls should be having babies."

Over and over and over again.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2022, 01:28:50 PM »

All this humiliation will do is ensure that Republicans never again try to put this issue before the voters, and instead rely on their (often artificially inflated) state legislative majorities to continue pushing their unpopular agendas on the people instead.
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2022, 01:34:35 PM »

I have no doubt a majority of people in, very likely, every state, support reproductive rights. The fervent pro-life movement is ultimately a niche issue that is being forced upon the majority of Americans by people who wrongly believe America is a Christian nation that must follow the word of God over anything else.

The biggest issue is even if that is the case, many of those same people will vote Republican. It is very unlikely, especially after what we saw in Kansas, that states controlled by Republicans will allow a ballot initiative to go forward.

Our esteemed GOP controlled legislature in South Carolina is currently debating whether to move forward on a bill that not only totally bans abortion, but also makes it illegal to travel to another state for care (unconstitutional) along with attempting to block websites that offer information on how to get an abortion out of state (also unconstitutional).

I'd like to think this extremism will be repudiated by voters come November, at the very least electing Joe Cunningham and sending Henry McMaster into a much needed retirement, but I am not optimistic on that front.

You seem to be as much of a RINO as I used to be when I sported a blue avatar. Why not join the light green side and become an Independent?
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2022, 02:08:32 PM »

You seem to be as much of a RINO as I used to be when I sported a blue avatar. Why not join the light green side and become an Independent?

I have sported the blue-SC avatar since the dawn of my time here on Atlas forum in 2004 (yes, I am getting old). I haven't really been a Republican for close to a decade now and everyone who knows me here knows it.

But even I have a sentimental streak for my R-SC avatar, you know? Smiley
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2022, 02:27:43 PM »

I have sported the blue-SC avatar since the dawn of my time here on Atlas forum in 2004 (yes, I am getting old). I haven't really been a Republican for close to a decade now and everyone who knows me here knows it.

But even I have a sentimental streak for my R-SC avatar, you know? Smiley

Yeah, I get it.  Cheesy
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2022, 02:34:57 PM »

Democrats' message should just be, "Regular everyday Americans are sick and tired of these crazy Republicans who think fifth grade girls should be having babies."

This could well beat the "Critical Race Theory! Grooming!" narrative the GOP was trying to make the midterms all about. It's a much more real and serious issue.
Devils30
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.06, S: -4.00

« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2022, 02:35:19 PM »

Gonna need to flip the state Supreme Court next year.

This ban is a good anchor around Ron Johnson, the GOP Gov candidates also support no exceptions. It is pretty clear that a lot of them are f****ing morons hellbent on driving full speed ahead.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2022, 03:01:01 PM »

Another example of the NYT publishing unadulterated GOP propaganda packaged as “news.” Don’t worry, they try to reassure their readers, the GOP is actually moderating its abortion stance! Ignore the facts that tens of millions of American women have lost their right to bodily autonomy in the past month; the important thing is that the GOP’s rhetoric has “adjusted”! You can now safely vote for them again this November, to teach that nasty old Joe Biden a lesson.
Tartarus Sauce
United States

« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2022, 04:00:05 PM »
« Edited: August 05, 2022, 04:04:13 PM by Tartarus Sauce »

This could well beat the "Critical Race Theory! Grooming!" narrative the GOP was trying to make the midterms all about. It's a much more real and serious issue.

I fully expect this to be a critical messaging component of the next midterm under a Republican president and it's going to cause them to take a huge electoral hit, much bigger than the one they suffered in 2018.

Finally overturning Roe is very likely going to play out as the dog catching the car for American conservatives, a textbook example of being careful what you wish for.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2022, 09:24:34 PM »

"Little girls belong in ballet class, not Lamaze class! Republicans are coming for your daughters!"
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2022, 09:35:31 PM »

There will not be a big backlash, people will forget soon and Dems will still lose big in November.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2022, 09:49:01 PM »

There will not be a big backlash, people will forget soon and Dems will still lose big in November.

No one's gonna "forget" as this issue continues to impact more and more people's lives (the fallout has only just begun really), referendums are held in key states, backlash to states like Indiana trying to enact near-total bans intensifies, etc.

You're back in doomer mode Lurker. And there really is no evidence or reason at this point to think Democrats will "lose big" in November. The House is a big uphill battle, yes, but the Senate looks pretty good, as do several key governorships. Like reverse 2018.
No War, but the War on Christmas
iBizzBee
Junior Chimp

« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2022, 09:52:13 PM »

Another example of the NYT publishing unadulterated GOP propaganda packaged as “news.” Don’t worry, they try to reassure their readers, the GOP is actually moderating its abortion stance! Ignore the facts that tens of millions of American women have lost their right to bodily autonomy in the past month; the important thing is that the GOP’s rhetoric has “adjusted”! You can now safely vote for them again this November, to teach that nasty old Joe Biden a lesson.

My favorite part was when Representative Nancy Mace made the following comment,

Now, she says Republicans need to press to expand access to gynecological and obstetrics care, contraception, including emergency contraception, and even protect the right of women to leave their states to get an abortion without fear of prosecution.

Hmm. Maybe instead of protecting womens rights to leave the state to receive healthcare you could, I don't know, just allow them to receive healthcare in whichever state they reside.
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2022, 10:02:24 PM »

Women never forget. Women are more motivated now than ever before to stand up for their rights. If you believe they will "forget soon" you are badly mistaken.
Buffalo Mayor Young Kim
LVScreenssuck

« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2022, 04:27:25 AM »

Torie is just the living personification of the this is fine dog.
Buffalo Mayor Young Kim
LVScreenssuck

« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2022, 04:29:58 AM »

Yes, Evers filed a lawsuit, offers clemency for abortion docs, Evers can hold other legislation hostage to a sensible abortion law, voters in WI-03 can ask the Congressional candidates if they favor a sensible national abortion law, and so forth. So it is not as if with no initiative process, and the state legislature being forever Pub, that there are not ways to put the heat on the Pubs. And Ron Johnson is up for re-election. It will be interesting to see if his tone changes.
Sure you don’t have a functional democracy but you can do things at the margins so it’s all good.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2022, 04:32:11 AM »

Indiana Republicans seem to think otherwise.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2022, 05:59:45 AM »
« Edited: August 06, 2022, 06:12:55 AM by Mr.Barkari Sellers »

It's now news even at Biden 33 PERCENT Approvals it was still a 303 map as long as Trump is out there trying to run for Prez the same 303 states aren't gonna vote for Trump what do Rs offer other than tax cuts for the wealthy, the reason why it was closer than expected in 2020 was due to Trump offering Stimulus checks but D's are the only ones offering Stimulus programs there are no more stimulus money except a SSA increase in 22/23 or enhanced child tax credits, and SSA people are getting another 100 dollar raise in 23. Collins overperformed especially because herself, Murkowski and Romney negotiated Stimulus checks the only two we got

It's been a 303 map since 2016 even when Hillary lost she carried CO, NV and VA eventhough she lost the rust belt off Jill Stein

That's why R users thinking it's an R wave are wrong because the reason why Ds underperform in 2020 because Trump gave out 2K checks what are they offering now, they did vote for infrastructure that's the only D initiative on the Entitlements that they voted for

Rs are Unanimous against Speed rails and Medicare for all because it involves raised the Wealth tax, Warren wealth tax gonna nets 3 T for the next Decade gives 50 K student loans, Medicare expansion as hd can give reparations to Afro Americans not just tuition but enhanced stimulus like Native American get per Capita

The only way to get rich is won the lottery, Pro ball, a politician, orilitaty very few changes

Now, with Abortion it guarenteed 303 map but abortion creates cured for diseases with embroyos and fetus stem cells it doesn't just kill babies that's how we got vaccines so fast

We were slow in getting rid of polio because nonstem cells from embroidery or fetus
My DAD was an R and many Blks are conservative on SSM and social issues, Mike DeWine and Kasich and Portman gets about 6 percent and Vonovich of the Blk vote, Blks in OH are more conservative, but Vance is getting 1 percent because why he has nothing to offer blks
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2022, 07:08:40 AM »

Indiana Republicans seem to think otherwise.

Yes, the news doesn’t seem to be in alignment with this wishful thinking story.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies