Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 21, 2024, 04:59:22 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread
« previous next »
Thread note
ATTENTION: Please note that copyright rules still apply to posts in this thread. You cannot post entire articles verbatim. Please select only a couple paragraphs or snippets that highlights the point of what you are posting.

Pages: 1 ... 245 246 247 248 249 [250] 251 252 253 254 255 ... 1170
Author Topic: Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread  (Read 917719 times)
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6225 on: March 07, 2022, 12:49:01 PM »

I have no doubt Ukraine is getting some kind of help from NATO beyond intel, weapons, and ant-tank missiles that is currently being kept secret.

Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6226 on: March 07, 2022, 12:54:34 PM »

I have no doubt Ukraine is getting some kind of help from NATO beyond intel, weapons, and ant-tank missiles that is currently being kept secret.

What could it possibly be, though?
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #6227 on: March 07, 2022, 12:55:37 PM »

It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6228 on: March 07, 2022, 01:01:31 PM »

Plot twist: This entire invasion actually really is a special operation by the United States to strengthen NATO ((with the help of a dying Putin who will eventually get Russia to join NATO as well)
sguberman
United States

« Reply #6229 on: March 07, 2022, 01:03:46 PM »

I wonder if there are moles in the Russian government at this point.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6230 on: March 07, 2022, 01:07:10 PM »

There has always been moles in the Russian govt.
Boobs
HCP
« Reply #6231 on: March 07, 2022, 01:17:33 PM »

There has always been moles in the Russian govt.

Actually, that was a birthmark.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #6232 on: March 07, 2022, 01:20:14 PM »

Almost certainly
certified hummus supporter 🇵🇸🤝🇺🇸🤝🇺🇦
AverageFoodEnthusiast
Junior Chimp
Virgin Islands, U.S.

« Reply #6233 on: March 07, 2022, 01:30:08 PM »
« Edited: March 07, 2022, 01:33:16 PM by Слава Україні! 🇺🇦 »

Here's the composition of the Russian convoy recently spotted in an attempt to fix their garbage logistics

brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #6234 on: March 07, 2022, 01:32:22 PM »

https://twitter.com/NotWoofers/status/1500888160259117056

Or OP (or, I guess, OT since they're the Original Tweeter) is just underestimating NATO intel, which is what my vote is for. Intel is always more significant than lay-people think to give it credit for, & a combination of NATO-based AEW&C systems & classic espionage are more than capable of providing the Ukrainians with real-time actionable intel on Russian positions.

https://twitter.com/NotWoofers/status/1500888160259117056

If it's not an underestimation of NATO intel, then it could be either Ukraine receiving covert air assistance from NATO (an unthinkably laughable act of war; see: the reaction to the recent plan put forth by a "stable genius" to paint Chinese flags on our F-22s & bomb the sh*t out of Russia) or Russia deliberately keeping Ukrainian airspace contested in order to try & draw NATO into the conflict so that they can save face when they're forced to withdraw (i.e., a plan that directly contradicts, y'know, all of the witnessed Russian operations attempting to establish air superiority over Ukraine, not to mention a plan that's inherently reliant upon way too many moving pieces to be something that can legitimately be speculated about, never mind a plan necessarily requiring Putin to be a rational actor, which has been called into question).

There obviously are (see: the anti-war sects of the FSB going all-in on treason & thwarting all of the Russian assassination attempts on Zelenskyy by leaking details thereof to him), but they're already accounted for, as espionage counts at intel.
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

« Reply #6235 on: March 07, 2022, 01:33:10 PM »

First Germany rearming, now Japan is setting the political foundation for recovering the Kuril Islands. Let's gooo!

There will certainly be no better time to retake (either through a bilateral agreement or military action) the Kurils than now.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6236 on: March 07, 2022, 01:41:44 PM »

LOL get teamed on Putin!
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #6237 on: March 07, 2022, 01:48:13 PM »

Plot twist: This entire invasion actually really is a special operation by the United States to strengthen NATO ((with the help of a dying Putin who will eventually get Russia to join NATO as well)

The second-season-of-Code-Geass pivot or, you know, whatever. Stranger than fiction. Nothing would surprise me at this point.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #6238 on: March 07, 2022, 01:55:21 PM »

First Germany rearming, now Japan is setting the political foundation for recovering the Kuril Islands. Let's gooo!

There will certainly be no better time to retake (either through a bilateral agreement or military action) the Kurils than now.

They should recover Sakhalin too
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6239 on: March 07, 2022, 01:57:28 PM »

Grim outlook for the humanitarian situation in Mariupol.... sounds like the Russians have mined the road leading out of the city per The Guardian:

"In the southern port city of Mariupol, police were going from basement shelter to basement shelter. The message to those who have been trapped by days of brutal Russian shelling in the besieged city of 430,000 on the Sea of Azov was simple.

Do not come out, terrified residents were warned, until you hear a message on the loud speakers. Do not try to evacuate, despite the promises by Russian forces of safe passage.

The warning was well founded. On the main road out – eyed as a key escape route – heavy Russian shelling continued on Monday, Ukrainian forces said. The previous day officials of the International Committee of the Red Cross had identified it as having been mined.

“The route is not safe,” said Sergei Orlov, the deputy mayor. “We do not have confirmation at the moment that a ceasefire started
.” ....  "
nicholas.slaydon
Ukraine

« Reply #6240 on: March 07, 2022, 02:07:29 PM »

The Japanese should declare that they have to step in to de-nazify the Kuril Islands from the Russian Fascists.
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6241 on: March 07, 2022, 02:10:36 PM »

Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6242 on: March 07, 2022, 02:19:36 PM »

Two possibilities for "above and beyond what is known" NATO assistance occur to me:

1) cyber sabotage of Russian aircraft, missile, communication and tracking computer systems or real worry by Russia's military that we've done so.

2) active air warning and control from NATO aircraft and ground stations, tied directly into Ukraine's own warning and targeting systems.

It's also possible that NATO has done nothing, and Russian aircraft maintenance, logistics, and software are all disastrous, resulting in operations at only a small fraction of their theoretical capabilities.
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

« Reply #6243 on: March 07, 2022, 02:24:12 PM »

The British are back! Time for another siege of Sevastopol?

President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6244 on: March 07, 2022, 02:33:04 PM »

I didn't see this one coming. Wow.
I would guess PM Kishida looked at Japanese public opinion in regards to the Ukraine crisis and decided this was a good move on that basis.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #6245 on: March 07, 2022, 02:52:24 PM »

Hardly a surprise, the talks produced no breakthrough.

Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #6246 on: March 07, 2022, 02:58:41 PM »
« Edited: March 07, 2022, 03:03:28 PM by Torie »

The plan is to capture the planes in good condition to beef up Russia's depleted air force,  you perspicacity challenged one you. Occam's Razor is your friend.  Sunglasses
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Moderators
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #6247 on: March 07, 2022, 03:01:24 PM »

Cheesy Cheesy
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6248 on: March 07, 2022, 03:05:30 PM »

Cheesy Cheesy

Oh thank gosh, for a second I would have had to stop supporting Ukraine over war crimes, glad it was a mistake by media!
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #6249 on: March 07, 2022, 03:06:28 PM »

And here I thought it was a disguised Molotov cocktail to trap the unwary.
Pages: 1 ... 245 246 247 248 249 [250] 251 252 253 254 255 ... 1170  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies