Any Chance Clinton Would Pick Webb?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 03, 2024, 09:11:34 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  2008 U.S. Presidential Election Campaign
  Any Chance Clinton Would Pick Webb?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Any Chance Clinton Would Pick Webb?  (Read 1802 times)
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 24, 2007, 01:23:39 PM »

If Hillary Clinton is the Democratic Presidential nominee, is there any chance she would pick Virginia Senator Jim Webb as her Vice Presidential running mate?

Webb was elected to the Senate in 2006, was Assistant Secretary of Defense for Reserve Affairs 1984-1987, and was Secretary of the Navy 1987-1988, in the Reagan administration.

Please discuss.
agcatter
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2007, 03:53:57 PM »

Doubtful.  Experience is only two years in Senate.
cp
United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2007, 07:01:27 PM »

I doubt it. Webb is lacking in executive experience and wouldn't really add much to the ticket (he only won by the slimmest of margins, after all). Also, by removing a Democratic senator from Virginia she'd be provoking a really tough special election campaign, which depending on the outcome of the 2008 election could cost the Dems the Senate.
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2007, 07:13:40 PM »

And risk the flack she'd take for blasting Obama about lack of experience? I think not.
Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -5.22

P
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2007, 08:34:49 PM »

No.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2007, 04:46:11 AM »

Webb was of course also Sec. of the Navy, so he does have a bit more experience than just the 2 years in the Senate.  I don't know if that's enough experience to put him in contention, but I find it no more implausible than the case being made by all the people saying that Giuliani or Romney would pick Huckabee for VP.  That would be a ticket with zero Washington experience and zero foreign policy experience (in an election campaign where foreign policy is likely to be a big issue).  How is that any less implausible than Clinton/Webb?
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2007, 09:22:38 AM »

I don't really see what Webb would add to a ticket, unless people think that Webb would magically swing Virginia to the Democrats.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2007, 09:46:57 AM »

This is your likely Democratic Ticket in 2008:

agcatter
YaBB God

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2007, 11:12:20 AM »

Webb won the Senate race by around 6K votes.  He would hardly be the kind of influence which would put Hillary over the top in Virginia and that would be the only possible reason for choosing him.  He won't be selected.

I suspect Richardson or Bayh.  Bayh is the safe choice although he certainly won't bring Republican Indiana into the Clinton column like Richardson would guarantee NM.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2007, 02:34:53 PM »

Unlikely.  It would be nice, though, to see a Virginian on the ticket.
Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -5.22

P
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2007, 06:29:59 PM »

I suspect Richardson or Bayh.  Bayh is the safe choice although he certainly won't bring Republican Indiana into the Clinton column like Richardson would guarantee NM.

These are the two I believe have the best chance of being chosen as well.  Also possible though less likely are Wesley Clark for his military/foreign policy creds or Barack Obama if he finishes a strong second to Clinton in the primaries and she comes under pressure to unify the party a la Reagan picking Bush I in 1980.
politicaltipster
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2007, 05:05:02 PM »

Webb would be a good choice because he'd be a good campaigner, bring some military credentials to the ticket and would attract rural Southern and Midwestern voters. His status as a Vietnam war hero and as a maverick cabinet secretary would put to bed any questions about lack of experience. However, I have to say that I don't particularly like his Buchananite views.

Ken Salazar might appease moderates and bring CO (and NV) into the Democratic column.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2007, 06:23:35 PM »

The other thing going for Webb is that, not only is he a veteran himself, but his son is also serving as well.  Symbolically, that's an added bonus, as there's the whole "today's politicians start wars that they wouldn't want their own children fighting in" meme.  This may sound stupid as a qualification for VP, but believe me, HRC's advisors *will* take such things into consideration.
politicaltipster
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2007, 06:55:22 AM »

I also wouldn't put my money on Richardson. He asked himself to be removed from the process, leading Shrum to speculate it was because of skeletons in his closet. Also, his foreign policy creds are undermined by the fact he's constantly flip-flopped on Iraq and most of his experience conisists of hugging dictators and negotiating deals that collapsed after 5 minutes. A HA on the ticket would be good for Clinton but Ken Salazar would be a much safer choice.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies