NYC Mayor/2021 Megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 10, 2024, 07:47:18 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  NYC Mayor/2021 Megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26 27 ... 97
Author Topic: NYC Mayor/2021 Megathread  (Read 128504 times)
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #525 on: March 23, 2021, 11:55:03 PM »

Former MLB labor negotiator and Giuliani deputy mayor and current New York Yankees president Randy Levine is considering a run for New York City mayor, based on people pushing polling on his name and potential candidacy

https://twitter.com/TweetBenMax/status/1360061874721718273

"as a Republican"

Whoa! This is worthless.
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #526 on: March 24, 2021, 12:00:57 AM »

Former MLB labor negotiator and Giuliani deputy mayor and current New York Yankees president Randy Levine is considering a run for New York City mayor, based on people pushing polling on his name and potential candidacy

"as a Republican"

Whoa! This is worthless.

The only question left open about the general is how close will queens be and will democrats win Staten Island
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.25, S: -6.50

« Reply #527 on: March 24, 2021, 12:27:47 AM »

In the poll, a full 50% of those Democrats surveyed said they are undecided about which candidate they will choose. Yang received 16% of the vote, Brooklyn Borough President Eric Adams came in second with 10%, and former counsel to the mayor Maya Wiley was third with 6%. Comptroller Scott Stringer, the only citywide elected official in the race, was in fourth place with 5%. Former Citigroup executive Ray McGuire received 4% while three other candidates – former federal housing secretary Shaun Donovan, former city sanitation commissioner Kathryn Garcia, and former nonprofit executive Dianne Morales – all tied at 2%. No other candidates were named in the poll; the eight included candidates are generally considered the ‘top tier’ and are, with wide variations, the top fundraisers in the race, which includes another nearly 20 Democratic candidates who have filed to run.

Though Yang’s vote share fell compared to the last poll – which was conducted January 20-25 and released February 10, and saw him receiving 28% – he remains the most well-known candidate in the race with 85% of those polled this month saying they had heard of him. In comparison, 64% said they had heard of Stringer and 62% said the same of Adams. The February poll gave voters names and brief titles or descriptions of the candidates while the March poll prompted voters with names only, which could be part of why the undecided share increased from 19% to 50% between the two polls. Other possible reasons include voters paying more attention to the race and therefore learning more about various candidates. The prior poll was also conducted through online interviews as opposed to phone interviews for the current poll.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #528 on: March 24, 2021, 01:21:47 AM »

Obligatory "it's landline only."
Kung Fu Kenny
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #529 on: March 24, 2021, 08:34:00 AM »

Menchaca out:

KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #530 on: March 24, 2021, 11:19:28 AM »

Menchaca was a total show horse, not a work horse, hence why his constituents hate him. Good bye to a candidate totally unequipped for the job.

Anyways, Scott Stringer got 25 thousand signatures. Which...to compare, Yang got 9 thousand. Absolutely amazing. This is what happens when you have a dedicated core of volunteers, who are veterans of the Sanders and Warren 2020 campaigns and 2018, and when your volunteer base is largely made up of those new to the scene.

A small army of experienced, tested, veterans will handily defeat disorganized conscripts any day, as history as taught us repeatedly.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #531 on: March 24, 2021, 11:21:10 AM »

Not to be taken seriously in my view.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #532 on: March 24, 2021, 11:41:27 AM »

I knew it was coming and he was never gonna win, still sad to see him go. Don’t know who is vote for first after him. Stringer, Wiley, and Morales are my big three
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #533 on: March 24, 2021, 04:43:43 PM »

Menchaca was a total show horse, not a work horse, hence why his constituents hate him. Good bye to a candidate totally unequipped for the job.

I mean, I didn't like him either, & his dropping out just makes pure sense given the race's tightening & his position therein at this point, but does the city not benefit from a diversity of figures in the race, given that it can help enable a lot of conversation? Don't get me wrong, he would've been an exceptionally bad mayor, but I at least think that his idea about participatory budgeting & giving residents a greater voice in deciding how to spend millions in taxpayer money is worth talking about in much the same way that Yang's UBI is.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #534 on: March 24, 2021, 04:57:28 PM »

I mean, I didn't like him either, & his dropping out just makes pure sense given the race's tightening & his position therein at this point, but does the city not benefit from a diversity of figures in the race, given that it can help enable a lot of conversation? Don't get me wrong, he would've been an exceptionally bad mayor, but I at least think that his idea about participatory budgeting & giving residents a greater voice in deciding how to spend millions in taxpayer money is worth talking about in much the same way that Yang's UBI is.

You do have a point, I suppose I'm being unfair. But I know his constituents would feel the same as I do. Smiley

As for Participatory Budgeting, the mastermind of that project is Brad Lander, who I'm hoping will thwack Johnson at the polls (but he won't Sad ).
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #535 on: March 24, 2021, 04:58:01 PM »

"as a Republican"

Whoa! This is worthless.

Levine has too many baggage, but I don't see him as mayoral material.

He's a Giuliani crony, secondly, he is tied to Trump, and if he ran, it would make the Yankees look too political, when they are seen as too close to MAGA people.....in the Bronx.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #536 on: March 24, 2021, 04:59:05 PM »

"as a Republican"

Whoa! This is worthless.

The only question left open about the general is how close will queens be and will democrats win Staten Island

Dems could win Staten Island, yes, I can see it. Even if Staten Island is conservative, they can elect a Democrat under right timing.

Curtis Sliwa is a joke....he'll get 25% of the vote citywide, or so...
StateBoiler
fe234
YaBB God

« Reply #537 on: March 26, 2021, 09:42:39 AM »

The past presidential election cycle I really recognized you could capture what a paper or news org thinks about a particular candidate just from the still-shot picture they use of that person. That one on the right for example says the New York Post don't think much of that lady.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #538 on: March 26, 2021, 11:49:17 PM »

The past presidential election cycle I really recognized you could capture what a paper or news org thinks about a particular candidate just from the still-shot picture they use of that person. That one on the right for example says the New York Post don't think much of that lady.

It’s hardly a new phenomenon, watch any attack ad and you’ll see the most unflattering pictures imaginable of the person they’re attacking. News does it too, especially the less repudiated like the post
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #539 on: March 27, 2021, 02:38:12 PM »

Saw Maya Wiley today, the first sign of her campaign's existence to me
Never Made it to Graceland
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -8.16, S: 3.22

P

« Reply #540 on: March 28, 2021, 09:47:28 PM »

How are you in a position to see all of these mayoral candidates walking past your door? 😂 I guess they don't come where I stay way out here in the eastern part of Brooklyn.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #541 on: March 28, 2021, 10:33:59 PM »

How are you in a position to see all of these mayoral candidates walking past your door? 😂 I guess they don't come where I stay way out here in the eastern part of Brooklyn.

Well I ran into Garcia and Wiley at the same place, suffice it to say I live close to a fair amount of major areas where people gather.
Never Made it to Graceland
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -8.16, S: 3.22

P

« Reply #542 on: March 28, 2021, 10:36:17 PM »

Well I ran into Garcia and Wiley at the same place, suffice it to say I live close to a fair amount of major areas where people gather.

Ugh, I really need to get a new place for the summer that's closer to stuff like that. PM me if you have any advice.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #543 on: March 29, 2021, 02:21:03 AM »

Anyways, Scott Stringer got 25 thousand signatures. Which...to compare, Yang got 9 thousand. Absolutely amazing. This is what happens when you have a dedicated core of volunteers, who are veterans of the Sanders and Warren 2020 campaigns and 2018, and when your volunteer base is largely made up of those new to the scene.

A small army of experienced, tested, veterans will handily defeat disorganized conscripts any day, as history as taught us repeatedly.

Ok but considering Sanders and Warren lost quite handily, it does make you wonder if it won't happen again, with Yang at Biden's position this time Tongue
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #544 on: March 29, 2021, 02:31:28 AM »

Ok but considering Sanders and Warren lost quite handily, it does make you wonder if it won't happen again, with Yang at Biden's position this time Tongue
Well isn't this an incredibly sobering comment. It's clear that Yang has the most momentum and soft support needed to win this race off sheer inertia alone. No amount of spontaneous rallies petition-gathering is going to change the infrastructure already in place to make Yang win.

Yang has been "campaigning" for this since 2018, while the rest have only started for a few months at best. This race will not become a horserace, as the lead horse just has to crawl from the position his trainer left him at nearly a tenth of the track from the finish line while everyone else runs from the start.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #545 on: March 29, 2021, 02:39:26 AM »

Well isn't this an incredibly sobering comment. It's clear that Yang has the most momentum and soft support needed to win this race off sheer inertia alone. No amount of spontaneous rallies petition-gathering is going to change the infrastructure already in place to make Yang win.

Yang has been "campaigning" for this since 2018, while the rest have only started for a few months at best. This race will not become a horserace, as the lead horse just has to crawl from the position his trainer left him at nearly a tenth of the track from the finish line while everyone else runs from the start.

Considering the amount of undecideds, I think he definitely doesn't have this in the bag. I mean, all comparisons aside, he isn't the Vice Mayor of New York City or something. He's just a low tier Presidential candidate who became popular, and he could certainly lose this if he doesn't play his generous hand right
StateBoiler
fe234
YaBB God

« Reply #546 on: March 29, 2021, 07:32:55 AM »

It’s hardly a new phenomenon, watch any attack ad and you’ll see the most unflattering pictures imaginable of the person they’re attacking. News does it too, especially the less repudiated like the post

Who is more repudiated at this point? This was pretty widespread practice in 2020 - Politico did it regularly - and is another feather in the cap of "we'd be better off if journalists just threw in the trash the notion they're neutral".
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #547 on: March 29, 2021, 10:13:55 AM »

You’re not wrong, Yang is the favorite, but I think Scott has far superior campaign infrastructure
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #548 on: March 29, 2021, 12:35:02 PM »

Not an unpopular comparison:

pikachu
United States

« Reply #549 on: March 30, 2021, 01:20:44 PM »

Just in the way the campaign's went so far, I see more of a GOP 2016 thing playing out more than DEM 2020. Yang, like Trump, is the shiny object drawing the media's attention and has been teflon despite a lot of perceived weaknesses (gaffes, outsider, lack of strong policy chops on local issues, etc). Whereas the defining part of Biden's 2020 primary campaign imo was the ability to keep a consistent lead despite never really getting media love until Super Tuesday. Ofc, both lead to the same place.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26 27 ... 97  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies