What if Hillary doesn't get a "Bernie Bounce"? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 27, 2024, 01:58:58 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  What if Hillary doesn't get a "Bernie Bounce"? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What if Hillary doesn't get a "Bernie Bounce"?  (Read 1758 times)
Tartarus Sauce
United States

« on: June 01, 2016, 10:39:42 AM »
« edited: June 01, 2016, 10:41:24 AM by Tartarus Sauce »

Then f-ck Bernie Sanders to hell and back.

He's already gotta be one of the sorest losers I've ever seen, and the way he's built up this fantasy around his militant supporters who are unable to take no for an answer is just crazy. And it's also why the Republicans are in such a mess: The base has been reassured time and time again that impossible things can be accomplished. The Democratic Party does not need that, or the right will keep winning and winning and winning some more.

Long story short, this guy has hugely worn out his welcome.

This, 100%. The type of partisanship he's encouraging reminds me of the tea party. In the long run, if infusing the progressive wing with an inability to compromise and a divorcement from facts is his main contribution once all the dust is cleared, he will have left the Democratic Party worse off because of it. He's not the right person to implement any of his proposed policies, and many of them should be left on the cutting room floor to begin with.
Tartarus Sauce
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2016, 12:14:09 PM »
« Edited: June 02, 2016, 12:19:11 PM by Tartarus Sauce »

Then f-ck Bernie Sanders to hell and back.

He's already gotta be one of the sorest losers I've ever seen, and the way he's built up this fantasy around his militant supporters who are unable to take no for an answer is just crazy. And it's also why the Republicans are in such a mess: The base has been reassured time and time again that impossible things can be accomplished. The Democratic Party does not need that, or the right will keep winning and winning and winning some more.

Long story short, this guy has hugely worn out his welcome.

This, 100%. The type of partisanship he's encouraging reminds me of the tea party. In the long run, if infusing the progressive wing with an inability to compromise and a divorcement from facts is his main contribution once all the dust is cleared, he will have left the Democratic Party worse off because of it. He's not the right person to implement any of his proposed policies, and many of them should be left on the cutting room floor to begin with.

It's not "partisanship."

It's platform.

It's leadership.

There are people who support Hillary Clinton who have never understood why there is such support for Bernie Sanders.

They are out of touch.

On the contrary, I'd reckon most Hillary supporters are quite aware of why his support is so widespread since their overrarching goals are for the most part similarly aligned. Remember how much Bernie and Hillary agreed on in the early debates? Getting special interest money out of the election process? Most Hillary supporters want that. Switching from fossil fuels to renewable energy? Most Hillary supporters want that as well. More accountability from the financial service sector? Ditto.

Where they disagree on is methods. Bernie plans to strongarm dramatic structural changes overnight with no regard to whether the system can handle such a rapid shift. Hillary intends to work within the system to implement changes at at more stable pace. Herein lies my main problem with Bernie: he's constructed a narrative that the vast majority want a revolution, and opposition to his policies is due to corruption rather than authentic ideological differences on what is reasonable to implement. That has in turn, created a base of supporters whom cannot view any disagreement as legitimate, but rather as the handiwork of self-serving sell outs.

He's a demagogue who speaks in terms of moral absolutes and false dichotomies, advocating for simple solutions to complex problems by scapegoating easy targets as the source of all the country's woes. He's cultivated a cult of personality that has allowed his claims to go unexamined by his most committed supporters. He's tricked young voters that are new to political engagement into believing that his policies are the only means of achieving progressive goals.

It's great that he's encouraging Millenials to become more politically active and is highlighting the issues they find important, and good for him for making election reform a central subject of his platform. I just wish he wasn't such a narcissistic firebrand who could potentially seal the progressive wing into an ideological echo chamber and aggravate Millenial apathy due to the idea that their votes won't matter because the system will override their choice anyway. I'm certainly seeing an increase voter engagement due to his presence, but I'm not observing an uptick in knowledge of how the process actually works, which motivates them to turn to more simplistic answers like "the system is too corrupt for Bernie to win."

He lost because more people voted for Hillary Clinton and he needs to acknowledge that eventually.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies