The Wisconsin Cheese Showdown
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 03, 2024, 10:04:03 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  The Wisconsin Cheese Showdown
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26 ... 32
Author Topic: The Wisconsin Cheese Showdown  (Read 59210 times)
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #500 on: March 03, 2011, 11:52:45 AM »

Talking Points Memo implies that even Rasmussen's polls are showing bad news for Walker now... no real numbers yet. Whether or not Walker successfully busts the unions in this term of the legislature, he seems to be completely playing into the hands of Obama 2012.

http://www.talkingpointsmemo.com/archives/2011/03/rasmussen_walker_flailing.php#more?ref=fpblg
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #501 on: March 03, 2011, 11:58:33 AM »

The bit about younger voters being more pro-union is kind of notable, now most people would say it's not surprising that youngs have more liberal views, but unionization is something people tend to association with olds as unions were far more relevant back then.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #502 on: March 03, 2011, 12:12:40 PM »

The bit about younger voters being more pro-union is kind of notable, now most people would say it's not surprising that youngs have more liberal views, but unionization is something people tend to association with olds as unions were far more relevant back then.

I wonder if it's because the biggest group affected is the teachers.
Linus Van Pelt

« Reply #503 on: March 03, 2011, 12:39:28 PM »
« Edited: March 03, 2011, 12:53:06 PM by José Peterson »

The poll brittain33 was mentioning is now out; it's a poll just of Wisconsin, with the Rasmussen Likely Voter screen applied. (link).

52-39 against weakening collective barganing rights
44-38 in favor of a 10% pay cut for all state workers
49% of voters, and 58% of those with children in the public school system, say it's a good thing that most teachers belong to a union.

Regarding this last statistic in particular, I do think that certain market-liberal type people, including some on this forum, not all of whom are fervent conservatives, are out of whack in their perceptions of how middle American parents see the teachers.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #504 on: March 03, 2011, 02:57:56 PM »

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011/03/03/senate-gop-wisconsin-order-police-awol-dems-custody/#

Republicans in the Wisconsin Senate passed a resolution Thursday calling for police to take 14 Democrats into custody for contempt after they fled to Illinois to avoid voting on a bill that would strip public-sector unions of nearly all their collective bargaining rights.

It's about time we rounded these rogues up.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #505 on: March 03, 2011, 03:36:24 PM »
« Edited: March 03, 2011, 03:38:59 PM by brittain33 »

I can match krazen's swagger. Smiley That resolution has no power as long as they are not in Wisconsin, right?

One of the senators arranged to get his paycheck while out-of-state by granting power of attorney to his staff members to claim it for him. The Republicans folded and gave it to him.

http://tpmdc.talkingpointsmemo.com/2011/03/awol-wisconsin-dem-beats-the-system-gets-his-paycheck-mailed-to-him.php?ref=fpblg
Capitan Zapp Brannigan
Addicted to Politics

« Reply #506 on: March 03, 2011, 04:02:17 PM »

From the Rasmussen poll:
Among those asked about the state budget deficit, 52% supported the Democrats and 44% supported the Governor. Most of those 50 and over support the Governor, 40-somethings are evenly divided, and those under 40 support the Democrats.

Among those asked about weakening collective bargaining rights, 56% supported the union and 41% supported the Governor. There is a similar age dynamic on this question, even though the overall level of support for the Governor is lower.

Not good numbers for Walker.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #507 on: March 03, 2011, 04:38:54 PM »

Wow, when even Rasmussen is showing numbers like that, you know the jig is up.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #508 on: March 03, 2011, 04:56:30 PM »

I can match krazen's swagger. Smiley That resolution has no power as long as they are not in Wisconsin, right?

One of the senators arranged to get his paycheck while out-of-state by granting power of attorney to his staff members to claim it for him. The Republicans folded and gave it to him.

http://tpmdc.talkingpointsmemo.com/2011/03/awol-wisconsin-dem-beats-the-system-gets-his-paycheck-mailed-to-him.php?ref=fpblg

I'm not a lawyer, but I believe that to be the case. I wonder if any of these people wants to see their families.
Dgov
United States

« Reply #509 on: March 03, 2011, 08:26:48 PM »

I'm not a lawyer, but I believe that to be the case. I wonder if any of these people wants to see their families.

Their families can just head on down to Illinois to see them.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #510 on: March 03, 2011, 11:23:07 PM »

The Pubbies cannot afford to back down, and won't.
Capitan Zapp Brannigan
Addicted to Politics

« Reply #511 on: March 03, 2011, 11:42:23 PM »

Neither can the Senate Dems at this point, at least as long as the numbers stay like this as the recall efforts get off the ground.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #512 on: March 04, 2011, 01:40:36 AM »

Neither can the Senate Dems at this point, at least as long as the numbers stay like this as the recall efforts get off the ground.

Wouldn't it be funny if Democrats regain control of the Wisconsin senate through recall elections?
I guess all that gone into fine maps maximizing Republican gains would go wasted.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #513 on: March 04, 2011, 01:42:11 AM »

One already has, and we just need two more. There have to be at least two recently elected from marginal districts.
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #514 on: March 04, 2011, 01:54:48 AM »

One already has, and we just need two more. There have to be at least two recently elected from marginal districts.

In Ohio a few Republican Senators buckled as well with regards to Kasich's nonsense.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #515 on: March 04, 2011, 02:13:24 AM »

Didn't know that. Do you have a link to an article about it? I would like to read it. Thanks BRTD.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #516 on: March 04, 2011, 02:37:25 AM »

In Ohio a few Republican Senators buckled as well with regards to Kasich's nonsense.

Six, in fact. Unfortunately, it still passed 17-16, but there are hopes of repealing the law via referendum.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #517 on: March 04, 2011, 02:44:02 AM »

Six, in fact. Unfortunately, it still passed 17-16, but there are hopes of repealing the law via referendum.

I guess the shoe will be on the other foot in 2012. Like the gay marriage amendment increased turnout in 2004, a possible repeal of the union busting law can bring to the polls union workers and ultimately help Obama carry the state.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #518 on: March 04, 2011, 02:47:34 AM »

I guess the shoe will be on the other foot in 2012. Like the gay marriage amendment increased turnout in 2004, a possible repeal of the union busting law can bring to the polls union workers and ultimately help Obama carry the state.

Even if it doesn't (though I think you are correct on that), there are plenty of Republicans in this state and across the country that, given the option to defend union rights separately, would absolutely do so. Even my conservative grandparents who have never voted Democratic in their entire lives support the rights of unions. I hate referenda on principle, but I have faith this state, if given the option, would vote in one to protect them.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #519 on: March 04, 2011, 07:51:17 AM »

Walker can't afford to back down. But it's not just him. Eight Republican senators are eligible for recall elections and Daily Kos is coordinating an effort to gather signatures. Some of them are from districts that won't elect a Democrat even though Obama narrowly won in '08... some are from more Democratic districts than that. I doubt all of them want to face a union-powered recall over the issue of collective bargaining when the unions have already offered big concessions on money. 
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #520 on: March 04, 2011, 09:04:09 AM »

How coincidental. Ohio Democrats and the AFL-CIO rammed through the original bill permitting state unions in 1983 on a 17-16 vote.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #521 on: March 04, 2011, 09:16:33 AM »

Are they caving?

http://wtaq.com/news/articles/2011/mar/04/senate-dem-gives-hope-gop-not-supporting-budget/

MADISON, Wis. (WTAQ) - State Senate Democrat Bob Jauch says he’s given up hope that more Republicans will jump ship on the governor’s plan to limit public union bargaining.

Three Republicans would have to vote with the minority Democrats to strike down the bargaining provisions. But only Dale Schultz of Richland Center has broken ranks with his GOP. And Jauch – the veteran senator from Poplar – says he no longer believes Democrats can convince two other Republicans to compromise.

As a result, he says the bill’s opponents will have to look for other ways to protect unionized public employees. Jauch told the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, “In order to kill this bill, we could never go home – that’s not practical, and most people realize it.”

No, sir it is not. Perhaps when the Democrats win their majority back they can repay the unions. /sarcasm
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #522 on: March 04, 2011, 09:24:32 AM »

Hrm, good find. The Dems had said that they stand together and won't allow only one or two to go back and provide the quorum... provided that still stands, we'll have to see if they cave, or if other senators echo what he said. The Dems really do have the momentum here and the issue can be forced prior to 2012 if signatures to get recalls underway really do get going. But I understand his point, if it comes down to them staying away for two years, that's not going to happen.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #523 on: March 04, 2011, 09:35:06 AM »

Not that it's particularly relevant to this conversation, but who is funding their road trip?
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #524 on: March 04, 2011, 09:40:14 AM »

So the Governor appears to have a new plan to get the absent Senators to come - if at least one of them doesn't return he's going to lay off 1500 state employees.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5gonDqbQyZ7R9lVE4iUGJGvOZ_cVw?docId=a5b696440e54416e81d2c6968e2a4917
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26 ... 32  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies