The Wisconsin Cheese Showdown
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 03, 2024, 02:24:20 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  The Wisconsin Cheese Showdown
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 32
Author Topic: The Wisconsin Cheese Showdown  (Read 59212 times)
CultureKing
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2011, 02:36:31 PM »

The spectacle of some people showing more outrage against teachers than against the Wall Strett wizards and bankers who brought the world economy to its knees, is really depressing.

This one. How can anyone really assert that teachers are somehow fleecing the public? For the level of education they have and the amount of work they do they are paid relatively little. We really need to take a fresh look on who benefits society most.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2011, 02:43:30 PM »

The protesters in Madison are of course heroes, and I hope that they inspire similar protests in other cities.

I hope it inspires the issuance of pink slips to them, myself. Different strokes for different folks.

As do I.

So why should these people be fired for making too much, SS?  You make more than them and are not fired.

They're public employees, lazy as sh!t and don't know anything.
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2011, 02:47:41 PM »

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110217/ap_on_re_us/us_wisconsin_budget_unions/

How ridiculous.  Although it would be excellent if they continued to do so, and everyone else followed their lead.  Go WI Democrats!
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2011, 02:53:44 PM »

So why should these people be fired for making too much, SS?  You make more than them and are not fired.

Mostly because there's no money to pay them.

If that was the case than why not go after the Police and Firefighters Unions??  Why exempt them?
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2011, 02:55:19 PM »

If that was the case than why not go after the Police and Firefighters Unions??  Why exempt them?

Oh, go after them first.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #30 on: February 17, 2011, 03:14:49 PM »

You know, I don't disagree with the general idea that public employee unions have to deal with budget issues... but Walker's bill goes well beyond that to try to absolutely pulverize the unions to bits. I don't blame them for fighting back. We aren't talking about a small change in formulae, we're talking about dismantling the unions. He overreached.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #31 on: February 17, 2011, 03:15:16 PM »

In CA, they are the worst, particularly the fire fighters. Some with all the benefits make over 500K per year. And then the featherbedding - oh the featherbedding.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #32 on: February 17, 2011, 03:17:16 PM »

So raise taxes.

No, you are lazier and less useful than them, but you are not fired. (see how fun subjective judgements can be?)
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #33 on: February 17, 2011, 03:21:02 PM »

Oh, go after them first.

They supported Walker's campaign, so that's not going to happen.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #34 on: February 17, 2011, 03:29:32 PM »

From the AP (Happy, Lunar?  Smiley )

Police officers were searching for Democratic state lawmakers who had not shown up for a vote on the sweeping legislation. The state Senate Democrats did not show up when they were ordered to attend a midday vote on the legislation. Though Republicans hold a 19-14 majority, they need at least one Democrat present to vote.

CNN reiterated radio reports that indicated Democratic state legislators had boarded a bus and left town. Mike Browne, communications director for Wisconsin Senate Minority Leader Mark Miller, told the network he had not been in contact with any Democratic legislators on Thursday. Browne said he was at the state Capitol and that he had seen no Democrats show up
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #35 on: February 17, 2011, 03:33:57 PM »

The protesters in Madison are of course heroes, and I hope that they inspire similar protests in other cities.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #36 on: February 17, 2011, 03:36:13 PM »

Alot of union bashing from the usual suspects, here. Not surprising and still disgusting. The amount of people who want to effectively repeal the entire 20th century is blowing me away.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #37 on: February 17, 2011, 03:36:21 PM »

So why should these people be fired for making too much, SS?  You make more than them and are not fired.

If that was the case than why not go after the Police and Firefighters Unions??  Why exempt them?

In CA, they are the worst, particularly the fire fighters. Some with all the benefits make over 500K per year. And then the featherbedding - oh the featherbedding.

If that's the case then you should scold Walker, not praise him. Dividing public workers into privileged and non-privileged is disgusting and makes Walker a vindictive prick who punishes those that supported his opponent, not some kind of role model for fiscal conservatism.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #38 on: February 17, 2011, 03:38:09 PM »

Police officers were searching for Democratic state lawmakers who had not shown up for a vote on the sweeping legislation. The state Senate Democrats did not show up when they were ordered to attend a midday vote on the legislation. Though Republicans hold a 19-14 majority, they need at least one Democrat present to vote.

CNN reiterated radio reports that indicated Democratic state legislators had boarded a bus and left town. Mike Browne, communications director for Wisconsin Senate Minority Leader Mark Miller, told the network he had not been in contact with any Democratic legislators on Thursday. Browne said he was at the state Capitol and that he had seen no Democrats show up

Much as I find quorum denial to be an underhanded tactic, how can it be legal to have the police drag legislators to the legislature and force them to vote?
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #39 on: February 17, 2011, 03:40:25 PM »

From the AP (Happy, Lunar?  Smiley )

Much as I find quorum denial to be an underhanded tactic, how can it be legal to have the police drag legislators to the legislature and force them to vote?

Call of the House isn't something unheard of, but you probably  haven't heard of it since it's rarely taken to this level.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Call_of_the_house
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #40 on: February 17, 2011, 03:48:00 PM »

I hope it inspires the issuance of pink slips to them, myself. Different strokes for different folks.

As do I.

Why thanx for making that assumption of me.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #41 on: February 17, 2011, 03:48:25 PM »

Please Gov Walker, Pull a Reagan. This measure is tame compared to what I would do as governor. I would allow teachers opt out of the unions.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #42 on: February 17, 2011, 03:53:57 PM »

As do I.

Why thanx for making that assumption of me.

Be thankful he didn't call you f****ts.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #43 on: February 17, 2011, 04:11:10 PM »

Ah, this is Texas and DeLay's Pubbie Sixpack redistricting plan all over again. The Dems all went to Santa Fe in that little drama. At least they had good taste in towns. And in the end, the Dems were f'ed, so it all had a happy ending. Smiley
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #44 on: February 17, 2011, 04:12:40 PM »

Ah, this is Texas and DeLay's Pubbie Sixpack redistricting plan all over again. The Dems all went to Santa Fe in that little drama. At least they had good taste in towns. And in the end, the Dems were f'ed, so it all had a happy ending. Smiley

The Texas Dems still had one yellow dog from a Republican district who fouled it up for them... I wonder if the Wisconsin caucus has anyone similar or if it's a liberal rump that survived last year's slaughter.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #45 on: February 17, 2011, 04:14:10 PM »
« Edited: February 17, 2011, 04:15:49 PM by Torie »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Ah, divide and conquer. I had not thought of that. Yes, that tactic should be added to the arsenal. Anything to take the public employee unions down is just doing the Lord's work. I really hope the Dems keep doing the public employees' bidding - and makes that their signature issue. That should erode them down to their hardcore base - nicely.  Smiley
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #46 on: February 17, 2011, 04:17:20 PM »

Ah, divide and conquer. I had not thought of that. Yes, that tactic should be added to the arsenal. Anything to take the public employee unions down is just doing the Lord's work. I really hope the Dems keep doing the public employees bidding - and makes that their signature issue. That should erode them down to their hardcore base - nicely.  Smiley

Torie, you disappoint me and I'm not joking. I expected that kind of attitude from a teenage Ron Paul fan who dreams libertarian utopias, not somebody that actually inhabits the real world.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #47 on: February 17, 2011, 04:18:14 PM »

Ah, divide and conquer. I had not thought of that. Yes, that tactic should be added to the arsenal. Anything to take the public employee unions down is just doing the Lord's work. I really hope the Dems keep doing the public employees' bidding - and makes that their signature issue. That should erode them down to their hardcore base - nicely.  Smiley

Dude, the economy in which you dwell has already collapsed from underpaying of nearly everyone, and yet you continue to chase the same destructive policy choices.  I'm sure you'll still be rich, but certainly less so for this neo-liberal nonsense.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #48 on: February 17, 2011, 04:23:13 PM »

Ah, divide and conquer. I had not thought of that. Yes, that tactic should be added to the arsenal. Anything to take the public employee unions down is just doing the Lord's work. I really hope the Dems keep doing the public employees bidding - and makes that their signature issue. That should erode them down to their hardcore base - nicely.  Smiley

Torie, you disappoint me and I'm not joking. I expected that kind of attitude from a teenage Ron Paul fan who dreams libertarian utopias, not somebody that actually inhabits the real world.

I am hardcore right wing on public employee unions. As Michael Barone wrote, they are cannibals eating us alive. They in general are grossly overpaid, and massively over-pensioned, and as I say, in some arenas, like firefighters, grossly overstaffed. Why should states and cities go broke over that, and why should folks who make less money than they do pay more taxes so that they can be paid way above market?  It's Robin Hood in reverse!

So, I make no apologies on this one. They need a good swiving, and they need it now.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #49 on: February 17, 2011, 04:29:12 PM »

I am hardcore right wing on public employee unions. As Michael Barone wrote, they are cannibals eating us alive. They in general are grossly overpaid, and massively over-pensioned..
So, I make no apologies on this one. They need a good swiving, and they need it now.

Torie, your entire society is being eaten alive by the owners, not by these petty individuals.  You're barking up the wrong tree, falling for a scapegoat intended for your social inferiors.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 32  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies