Why won't the freakin' GOP nominate RAND PAUL!
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 04:37:50 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Why won't the freakin' GOP nominate RAND PAUL!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Why won't the freakin' GOP nominate RAND PAUL!  (Read 2374 times)
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2015, 03:13:47 PM »

For the same reason the Democrats will not nominate Bernie Sanders: Because they would radically reform politics

Would Rand Paul reverse Citizens United?

I don't know; he's not a Judge.  I tend to think he'd appoint the kind of Federal Judges that would keep it in place.
CapoteMonster
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.49, S: -2.61

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2015, 03:20:53 PM »

Putting aside the above poster's hyperbole, it is in fact true I suspect that about a third of the Pub base would vote for Hillary over Rand, once he is a fully known quantity out there on the Fruited Plain (unless he keeps tacking, and does it skillfully). I certainly would not vote for him, and despite my avatar, I still will probably vote for more Pubs than Dems in the future.

Lol We're way too polarized for that to happen barring Rand Paul killing a baby.

The whole "too polarized" argument is literally based on two presidential elections.

No canidate's carried a third of the opposing party's vote since 1972. I'm basing my assumption on decades of elections.
EliteLX
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.64, S: 0.85

« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2015, 03:56:57 PM »

For those so radically against, I'm curious as to why he is THAT radically different. The GOP isn't going to survive on a QUADRUPLE THE MILITARY BUDGET, INVADE EVERY COUNTRY, CRANK UP NATIONAL SECURITY PROGRAMS ideas for the rest of it's life. I see some Jeb Bush supporters in here and I say to you that you are literally throwing away the future of the party, it will die. It's not a "oh he's against the republican message", more of the GOP is afraid to reform the party to become more sensible with rapidly evolving American middle class ideas without destroying what it holds dearly.

Support Jeb Bush. Support Chris Christie. Keep electing these candidates, the GOP will be dead.

Or elect a real leader, simple as that.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #28 on: June 11, 2015, 05:08:37 PM »

Who is Rand Paul? I've honestly never heard of him. Huh Is he like a baseball player or something?
RR1997
United States

« Reply #29 on: June 11, 2015, 05:25:49 PM »

Rand Paul looks good on paper, but in reality his campaign would be a disaster if he won the nomination. He's flip-flopped a lot and he's really gaffe-prone.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #30 on: June 11, 2015, 11:00:22 PM »

For those so radically against, I'm curious as to why he is THAT radically different. The GOP isn't going to survive on a QUADRUPLE THE MILITARY BUDGET, INVADE EVERY COUNTRY, CRANK UP NATIONAL SECURITY PROGRAMS ideas for the rest of it's life. I see some Jeb Bush supporters in here and I say to you that you are literally throwing away the future of the party, it will die. It's not a "oh he's against the republican message", more of the GOP is afraid to reform the party to become more sensible with rapidly evolving American middle class ideas without destroying what it holds dearly.

Support Jeb Bush. Support Chris Christie. Keep electing these candidates, the GOP will be dead.

Or elect a real leader, simple as that.

Paul is radically different (at least from my views) on his domestic policies. He can ramble on about war and peace all he wants and I couldn't care less. My problems with Paul are that his economic views are absurd and his social views are abhorent. I don't want to see the federal government dismantled (not that he could do it anyway), I want to see the graft and cronyism removed while still being able to deliver services for its constituents. I also want an independent federal reserve bank that isn't controlled, or audited, by Congress. I also don't want a president who will use his bully pulpit spew anti-vaccine conspiracy theories. I don't want decriminalized recreational drug use. I'd also like my police to stay armed. The over-arching theme here is that Paul's views are reflective of a highly individualistic ethic with only a minimal consideration of others when making decisions. Paul is the manifestation of most of what's wrong with the Republican Party, maybe not in terms of getting elected but in terms of actually making the country a better place.

I would also love to see the GOP reformed too: reformed into a more communitarian-minded party that welcomes immigrants, champions actual hard work (including that done by union members), and recognizes the tax we ought to fighting to cut is the sales tax not the corporate tax. I'm still waiting for the GOP to recognize that the makers/takers narrative is one that doesn't lend itself to winning elections no matter how many coats of paint are added. The point of fiscal conservatism was supposed to be that a rising tide raises all ships. It's really quite hard to see that in the last few Republican campaigns. Rand does nothing to solve that problem and only adds a list of others.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies