Scottish independence referendum results thread (Sept 18, 2014) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 13, 2024, 10:40:13 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Scottish independence referendum results thread (Sept 18, 2014) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Scottish independence referendum results thread (Sept 18, 2014)  (Read 71875 times)
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« on: September 18, 2014, 01:21:18 PM »

This is exciting. It must be strange for our Scottish members that half the forum is more emotionally invested in the outcome than they are, though.

How many Forum posters are actually from Scotland ?

afleitch, bore, ... ?

Yeah, me and afleitch are the only Scots on the forum.
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2014, 10:41:44 PM »

BBC Scotland is better than BBC London.
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2014, 12:51:17 AM »

Firstly, why do you think it has that name? Second, they had a problem with getting some of the boxes to the counting centre: there was a crash on the road they were being brought on, delaying things by a couple of hours.

The Guardian website lists it as "Highland," in fairness.

I think the point is that it's hardly surprising that it's difficult and takes a long time to transport ballots around an area called highlands, due to, you know, the hills.
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2014, 08:04:02 AM »

The only thing that could justify a referendum in the short run would be it becoming clear that no more powers were being devolved.
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2014, 07:26:53 AM »

If we're talking another referendum in case London either goes back on its word on devolution max, or devolves too few powers to the Scottish Parliament to satisfy either the nationalists or the unionists, I imagine that Scotland will stick with its 700-year anniversary pattern.  With 1314 out of the way, here are some possibilities:

1325: first year the Parliament of Scotland convened

1328: King Edward II signs Treaty of Northampton acknowledging Scottish independence under the rule of King Robert the Bruce (Edward reneged on it later upon Robert's death)

1341: Taking advantage of English distraction with the Hundred Years War, King David II (King Robert's son and heir) returns from exile in France to claim the Scottish throne, securing Scotland's independence
-------------------

So perhaps 2028 seems most likely.  

One year a pattern does not make.
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2014, 07:55:39 AM »

Thanks for the figures Smiley

I don't know that much about Glasgow, and no doubt afleitch can correct me if I'm wrong, but the thing that strikes me there is how similar they are. I'd have thought there'd be pretty big social and economic differences between the constituencies,so I'm surprised there's only a 7 point spread.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies