Sunday Rest Act (Failed) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 03:55:31 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Sunday Rest Act (Failed) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Sunday Rest Act (Failed)  (Read 3375 times)
TNF
Atlas Icon

« on: March 02, 2015, 10:53:12 AM »

I think this is problematic for a number of reasons, the biggest of which is that it designates specifically a day of rest on a day traditionally observed as such by Christians only. If we are going to go down this road, we should make exemptions for Muslims not to work on Friday and Jews not to work on Saturday, no?

Or, alternatively, we might propose the following:

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

All of the numbers here reflect the fact that we have a 32 hour workweek in Atlasia.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2015, 12:23:52 PM »

TNF, especially section 1, clause 1 could become very problematic in fields like seasonal tourism, where it often it is just not manageable to have times off for 72 hours in a row, this for all employees. This might not be a problem with a 9-5 job or some sorts of industrial job, but I'd guess this would really be problematic in the service industry...

The service industry can adapt by hiring more workers to fill those spots that would necessarily be vacant or automate functions.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2015, 12:53:14 PM »

TNF, especially section 1, clause 1 could become very problematic in fields like seasonal tourism, where it often it is just not manageable to have times off for 72 hours in a row, this for all employees. This might not be a problem with a 9-5 job or some sorts of industrial job, but I'd guess this would really be problematic in the service industry...

The service industry can adapt by hiring more workers to fill those spots that would necessarily be vacant or automate functions.

Such will in the vast majority of cases not be possible, at least not to the extent needed, I suspect.

There are lots of people out of work right now that could be put to work. I don't see what the issue is. If we need more workers, open up the borders and invite them to come here.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2015, 01:12:28 PM »

That doesn't make any sense. Employing more people means more money in circulation which means more spending on services which means more employment. Sure, there are cases in which there will be some employers unable to operate under the proposed legislation. I don't particularly care about those employers. They can go under for all its worth, given that the people we should actually be most concerned about (the workers) will be more or less fine with our extended welfare state that includes expansive unemployment insurance and a universal basic income program.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2015, 09:44:20 AM »

So you are content with letting the last bit of middle class employers and small businesses that are still left in this country die, and let their place be taken by big chains?

I don't give a sh#t about the 'middle class'

my constituency is the working class

AYE
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2015, 11:30:05 AM »

Nay

So you are content with letting the last bit of middle class employers and small businesses that are still left in this country die, and let their place be taken by big chains?

I reiterate - do you rather see all workplaces being offered by big corporations than by small businesses?

big corporations are better for workers because they bring more of them under the same roof and give them more potential power as a result. small businesses are backwards and inefficient, so yes. Ideally i'd prefer massive industrial cooperatives, but I'd take big business over small business any day of the week.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2015, 10:18:56 AM »

I support Windjammer's proposed amendment in the interest of not violating the separation of church and state.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2015, 07:04:54 AM »

Nay

I reiterate - do you rather see all workplaces being offered by big corporations than by small businesses?

big corporations are better for workers because they bring more of them under the same roof and give them more potential power as a result. small businesses are backwards and inefficient, so yes. Ideally i'd prefer massive industrial cooperatives, but I'd take big business over small business any day of the week.

I have never seen a small business buy its way into power the way a big corporation can.

Irrelevant, because big business is always going to be in control under capitalism. You can't separate that from bourgeois democracy. It's part of the system.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2015, 12:21:14 PM »

Aye
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies