Mayor Pete (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 12:43:09 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  Mayor Pete (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Mayor Pete  (Read 61885 times)
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -5.30

P P P

« on: September 18, 2018, 03:08:19 PM »

Richard

"Look, Pete, I understand what you're saying," Governor Cordray said, giving his voice an empathic tone. "Fresh ideas are important. Our campaign brought many fresh ideas, such as our suggested immigration reform plan, and I can promise that in a Cordray Administration, we'll take advice and involve many young, bright minds committed to our agenda. But experience is important, too- I served as Treasurer and Attorney General in Ohio, fighting for the people of my state; I fought tooth and nail for the American consumer as the very first Director of the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau; I have close to two terms in office as Governor of the great state of Ohio, with very successful results and high approvals; and I was our party's Vice Presidential nominee last time around, giving me valuable experience on the trail. Now, Mr. Governor, I worked with you on many issues and I loved a lot of what you've done, but with all due respect, and there's a lot of it, you didn't even complete your first term as Governor of Indiana."

The debate stage seemed to grow warmer as Pete Buttigieg, standing two podiums to Richard's right, prepared for a rebuttal. "I think Mr. Cordray's missing an important point here," Pete said with his usual relaxed smile. "He's not the only one on this stage with valuable and strong experience. Quite the contrary. Every single man and woman on this stage has been a great public servant with impressive accomplishmets for the American people, whether as a legislator, an executive, or both. So while I have great respect for Governor Cordray's great service to the American people, I think it's wrong, and a bit preposterous, to suggest he's the experienced candidate. I, for one, strongly believe in my own resume- I'm very proud of the work I've done with a team of great people in South Bend, completely transforming the city from a declining town with rising unemployment to a rising city popular with youths. In Indiana, I did the same, investing in alternative energy and job training to create new jobs, which lead my state to be included in Time's list of "Top 10 States experiencing resurgence in 2022".

"Well, and I respect that," Richard replied immediately. Annoyingly, he felt that he was sweating a bit. It couldn't have been a good look. "But personally, I wouldn't leave the job my state elected me to do before even a single term has expire. What makes me the most qualified candidate on this field, I believe, is that I don't only have a lifetime of fighting for working Americans, but I also have experience on the national stage as a Vice Presidential nominee. I can campaign. I can win."

"With all the adoration I have for Senator Gillibrand, Mr. Cordray, she did lose the election," Buttigieg pointed out. "You were on the ticket, and you lost. I'm not sure that's a very positive experience, and doesn't really prove that you can win, but rather that you can lose."

"I..." Richard stopped himself before he could stutter and botch that answer. "I believe it's an unfair point. The majority of the American people voted for the Gillibrand\Cordray ticket; we won the popular vote. I can, and will, win the electoral college too."

"Senator Hickenlooper," the moderator, Elaine Quijano, turned to another candidate. "You've made experience an important theme of your campaign. Do you have any response."

"I sure do," John replied and looked at Rich, making clear who he's going to target, like most everyone else in that debate. "I think Governor Cordray is forgetting who he's standing on this stage here. I have two whole terms as Governor, something no one on this stage other than Mr. Chafee and myself can boast, and I have several years in the Senate now. I even have two terms as Mayor of Denver, a very big city. So I think that I have the right ideas and experience to implement them. Under a Hickenlooper administration, the rate of achievements and reforms will produce will be like like a factory of positive changes for the American people. Claiming that Governor Cordray is the most qualified candidate here is, well, misleading."

"I meant the most qualified progressive candidate, Mr. Hickenlooper," Rich gave his feisty reply. This, of course, lead to a heated exchange between the two, in which John touted his progressive achievements while Rich pointed to the Senator's joint healthcare plan with a conservative like Kasich and his past support of fracking.

The rest of the debate continued on similar lines- Cordray was at the center of attention, having to deflect barbs and attacks from the candidates around him, which proved hard. Pete continued performing well and producing strong soundbites and ansswers. Kyrsten Sinema tried to produce as many headlines as possible, positioning herself as the resident maverick and attacking the Democratic leadership, especially Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer, as "very weak on Trump", and promising that as President she'd work to bring fresh ideas into congressional leadership and force congress to work again. Ralph positioned himself as the moderate, hammering the others on extremism but not doing much to gain new bases. Gavin used his charisma and positioned himself as the anti-Trump, constantly targetting the President and promising to erase the last eight years. Gretchen got a bit absorbed in the background- she wasn't as charismatic as other candidates and didn't have a very special experience or story, which caused her to struggle for attention, but she still had a strong performance. John's highlight was his feud with Richard, but he managed to keep himself visible for most of the debate and gave some solid answers. Tulsi had some major gaffes, including saying that "Assad and Putin aren't big problems" and attacking Newsom and Buttigieg as "swamp monsters", which gave them sympathy and damaged her, leading to Trump comparisons. Cory kept trying to get attention, but his philosopher-king style seemed to bore the audience and he was barely a factor. Finally, Lincoln Chafee had a few points of attention, such as a renewed call to switch to the metric system, but was mostly a non-factor.

Post debate polls showed a dangerous image for Richard's status as frontrunner. Following that debate, he scheduled several debate-prep sessions with Senator Warren and other suppporters.

Second Democratic Debate- Podium Placements
CHAFEE - GABBARD- NORTHAM - WHITMER - NEWSOM - CORDRAY - SINEMA - BUTTIGIEG - HICKENLOOPER - BOOKER

FLASH POLL- Who won the 2nd Democratic Presidentia Debate?
Governor Pete Buttigieg (D-IN)- 17%
Governor Gavin Newsom (D-CA)- 15%
Senator Kyrsten Sinema (D-AZ)- 14%
Governor Richard Cordray (D-OH)- 12%
Senator John Hickenlooper (D-CO)- 10%
Governor Gretchen Whitmer (D-MI)- 7%
Fmr. Gov. Ralph Northam (D-VA)- 5%
Senator Cory Booker (D-NJ)- 3%
Governor Lincoln Chafee (D-RI)- 1%
U.S. Rep. Tulsi Gabbard (D-HI)- 1%
Noone\Undecided- 15%

Democratic Primary Polling- National
Governor Richard Cordray (D-OH)- 30%
Governor Gavin Newsom (D-CA)- 15%
Senator Kyrsten Sinema (D-AZ)- 12%
Governor Gretchen Whitmer (D-MI)- 11%
Governor Pete Buttigieg (D-IN)- 10%
Fmr. Gov. Ralph Northam (D-VA)- 7%
Senator John Hickenlooper (D-CO)- 4%
U.S. Rep. Tulsi Gabbard (D-HI)- 2%
Senator Cory Booker (D-NJ)- 2%
Governor Lincoln Chafee (D-RI)- 0%
Other\Undecided- 7%

Democratic Primary Polling- Iowa Caucuses
Governor Richard Cordray (D-OH)- 38%
Governor Pete Buttigieg (D-IN)- 17%
Governor Gretchen Whitmer (D-MI)- 12%
Fmr. Gov. Ralph Northam (D-VA)- 8%
Senator John Hickenlooper (D-CO)- 6%
Senator Kyrsten Sinema (D-AZ)- 3%
Senator Cory Booker (D-NJ)- 3%
Governor Gavin Newsom (D-CA)- 2%
U.S. Rep. Tulsi Gabbard (D-HI)- 2%
Other\Undecided- 9%

Democratic Primary Polling- New Hampshire Primary
Governor Richard Cordray (D-OH)- 22%
Governor Gavin Newsom (D-CA)- 22%
Senator Kyrsten Sinema (D-AZ)- 16%
Governor Pete Buttigieg (D-IN)- 11%
U.S. Rep. Tulsi Gabbard (D-HI)- 6%
Governor Gretchen Whitmer (D-MI)- 5%
Senator John Hickenlooper (D-CO)- 3%
Governor Lincoln Chafee (D-RI)- 2%
Senator Cory Booker (D-NJ)- 2%
Fmr. Gov. Ralph Northam (D-VA)- 1%
Other\Undecided- 10%

Democratic Primary Polling- Nevada Caucuses
Governor Richard Cordray (D-OH)- 41%
Senator Kyrsten Sinema (D-AZ)- 15%
Senator John Hickenlooper (D-CO)- 12%
Governor Gavin Newsom (D-CA)- 9%
Governor Gretchen Whitmer (D-MI)- 6%
Governor Pete Buttigieg (D-IN)- 5%
Fmr. Gov. Ralph Northam (D-VA)- 2%
Senator Cory Booker (D-NJ)- 1%
Other\Undecided- 8%

Democratic Primary Polling- South Carolina Primary
Governor Gavin Newsom (D-CA)- 21%
Fmr. Gov. Ralph Northam (D-VA)- 17%
Governor Richard Cordray (D-OH)- 15%
Governor Gretchen Whitmer (D-MI)- 14%
Senator Cory Booker (D-NJ)- 10%
Governor Pete Buttigieg (D-IN)- 7%
Senator Kyrsten Sinema (D-AZ)- 5%
Senator John Hickenlooper (D-CO)- 2%
Other\Undecided- 8%
When will the next update happen
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2018, 05:45:29 PM »

Considering he's not mentioned in the endorsements, I take it H.W. has passed away?

Yep, unfourtunately, 2024 is too far-off.
When will the Obama Third Term Resume
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2018, 03:36:46 PM »

Northem is going to drop out
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2018, 12:19:25 PM »

Hoping that Stacey Abarms is VP
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2018, 12:24:14 PM »

or Betty Sutton
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2018, 01:46:51 PM »

Anthony Foxx was never Secretary of State.

Buttigieg/Whitmer or Hill
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2018, 04:16:02 PM »

Could happen, but I will say I haven't decided yet Tongue Kander is a strong supporter but has some disadvantages as VP, and Pete doesn't choose on issues of "loyalty" like someone else we know.
That is true.  In 2008, very few people expected Joe Biden to be President Obama's choice.

True, and the shortlist didn't have Clinton
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2018, 11:09:54 AM »

GRETCHEN WHITMER
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2018, 01:16:41 PM »

The names are wrong in West Virginia
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2018, 10:51:36 AM »

Who won the Israeli election in 2019
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2018, 01:47:27 PM »

Who won the Israeli election in 2019

Netanyahu, like he will irl... but the next one is more interesting because of Netanyahu's indictment. I'll write something up about that soon.
How do you think of The Joint List and I hope Shas wins the 2019 election.
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2019, 07:38:40 AM »

Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2019, 09:21:43 AM »

1. Who killed Wolf?
2. Looks like based off early numbers that Lawson and Pete will win, and Donnelly will lose
I think he retired
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2019, 08:36:00 AM »

Vermont is 108%
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2019, 07:29:24 AM »

Greg Pence will lose
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2019, 11:32:51 AM »

Well, this is 3/4 gains that Republicans can have while Democrats retain a filibuster proof Senate supermajority.
there is always Murkowski
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2019, 08:10:08 AM »

Plz don't make Jason lose
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2019, 08:18:57 AM »

As an inspiration from this TL, I'm being Mayor Pete in an election game.
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2019, 08:36:23 AM »

the 2028 election has the 2024 ticket
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length