Opinion of zero tolerance policies in schools (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 12:02:55 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Opinion of zero tolerance policies in schools (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: What is your opinion?
Freedom policies (D)

Horrible policies (D)

Freedom policies (R)

Horrible Policies (R)

Freedom policies (I/O)

Horrible policies (I/O)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 80

Author Topic: Opinion of zero tolerance policies in schools  (Read 1675 times)
RedSLC
SLValleyMan
United States

« on: February 09, 2014, 02:32:41 PM »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zero_tolerance_(schools)

Something that I've decided to focus on. Apparently the last poll on this subject was more than six years ago, so, might as well start a new one.

For me, HP (D) for a myriad of reasons. First there is virtually no evidence that they are effective at reducing bad behavior in schools. Second, instead of focusing on making punishment proportional to offenses (which is what should be done), these policies remove any and all judgement from evaluating offenses, and end up treating minor ones the same way that they would treat very serious ones - with suspension or expulsion. Third, the extremely broad interpretation of these policies has also resulted in school districts punishing things that shouldn't even be considered offenses in the first place. Among these have been idiotic incidents such as (to name a few examples from the link), suspending a girl for having a knife to cut a birthday cake, suspending a boy for making a gun with his hand, and suspending another boy for biting into a pop-tart in a way that made it look like a gun. And fourth, these policies have also been used to disproportionately target minority groups. In short, they're a counter-productive waste of time and resources that need to be smashed.
RedSLC
SLValleyMan
United States

« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2014, 01:27:01 AM »

Accidentally voted Freedom Policies, meant to say absolutely atrocious policies.

Forgot to check the "change vote" box when I started this. Sorry about that, Matt.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies