Cruz will be the nominee. Prove me wrong. (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 13, 2024, 11:08:40 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Cruz will be the nominee. Prove me wrong. (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Cruz will be the nominee. Prove me wrong.  (Read 2618 times)
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« on: March 31, 2016, 10:51:20 PM »

Whats the point?  Cruz will get crushed in tge general anyway under any of those senerios.    Trump will essentially campaign against the gop thus helping Hillary prob run some sort of 3rd party campaign .     Cruz will be served up as a sacrificial lamb. Funny thing is hes so stupid not to see it coming.

BTW Trump supporters are more likely to vote for Hillary than Cruzs small far right base.  The Gop is walking into a trap if Ted Cruz wins by some sort of convention trick.

Well, the point is that, while he is still unlikely to win, Cruz does seem likely to do several percentage points better than trump, which would probably be enough to keep the Senate, keep Scalia's SCOTUS seat vacant, and try to do this all right 4 years from now. You gotta work with the cards you're dealt. We can't go back in time, put a muzzle on Chris Christie (like a dog!), and give Rubio the nomination. Doesn't work that way.

In terms of the original post, I agree with your 80-90% that trump won't get 1237 through the voting, but he does have one final card left to play, which is that some of the territorial/Pennsylvanian uncommitted delegates will be sympathetic to him, and we don't know how many. That'll give him a final delegate boost. I don't know if it'll be enough to take him over 1237 on the first ballot (I personally doubt it), but I would say the odds right now are more 60-70% range than 80-90%.

Also, whoever talked about Montana: judging by Idahoan results trump does probably have an outside shot here (though Cruz is still favored, even in the three-way). He'd be doomed in a two-way race, so hopefully Cruz's effort to get Kasich off the ballot there will both be successful and not get too much bad blood between them.

Agreed.  I like Trump and support his ideas, but part of me wants him to lose the nomination.  Give it to Cruz, he'll likely do better in the general, and then someone with views similar to Trump (but makes fewer gaffes and is more moderate) can run and beat Hillary in 2020.  My fear is that Trump could deliver the House to the Dems, whereas Cruz can probably keep both houses GOP.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies