Which state party is in bigger state of decimation? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 13, 2024, 05:28:07 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Which state party is in bigger state of decimation? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: ??
Alabama Democratic Party

Hawaii Republican Party

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 76

Author Topic: Which state party is in bigger state of decimation?  (Read 3985 times)
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« on: December 17, 2014, 01:28:34 AM »

Hawaii wins. They have only one Republican Senator.

Democrats have only one white Senator in Alabama, and even him - from majority-black district. So - not sure.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2014, 01:51:35 AM »

Hawaii wins. They have only one Republican Senator.

Democrats have only one white Senator in Alabama, and even him - from majority-black district. So - not sure.

Also, at least the HI GOP can at least be competitive in state/federal races. Not win, but compete with pols like Djou and Aiona.

Yes. Djou almost won this year. But i am at loss to name Democrat, who got at least 40% in statewide race in Alabama this year. And the only win in federal race - in VRA-mandated heavily black district.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2014, 03:21:49 AM »

Yes. Djou almost won this year. But i am at loss to name Democrat, who got at least 40% in statewide race in Alabama this year. And the only win in federal race - in VRA-mandated heavily black district.

I actually think, in terms of just legislative seats/strength, the TN Democrats are worse off than the AL Democrats. Even in 2008, they had the Governorship, the State Senate, and were about even in the State House. Now, they've lost all that and are down to 6 (!) of the 33 Senate seats. Also, the the TN Dems are struggling to get their preferred statewide candidates elected in the primaries.

I know TN is naturally less favorable then AL, as its less black and the blacks in TN are much more concentrated, but still.

May be. Florida's Democratic party is weak too. They have not only substantial number of Blacks, but many Hispanics (including non-Cubans), and a lot of Jews and other Northern transplants, for whom "liberal" is not a "dirty word" as it is for almost all whites in Alabama, Mississippi or Louisiana (it seems - it will in Arkansas soon too). And still - very modest results, especially - on state legislative level.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2014, 03:22:58 AM »

I actually think, in terms of just legislative seats/strength, the TN Democrats are worse off than the AL Democrats. Even in 2008, they had the Governorship, the State Senate, and were about even in the State House. Now, they've lost all that and are down to 6 (!) of the 33 Senate seats. Also, the the TN Dems are struggling to get their preferred statewide candidates elected in the primaries.

I know TN is naturally less favorable then AL, as its less black and the blacks in TN are much more concentrated, but still.

I'm still disappointed that Charlie Brown lost the gubernatorial race this year.

You mean - primary? He wouldn't win general in any case..
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2014, 05:14:43 AM »
« Edited: December 17, 2014, 05:17:54 AM by smoltchanov »

I'm still disappointed that Charlie Brown lost the gubernatorial race this year.

You mean - primary? He wouldn't win general in any case..

Nope, he was the democratic nominee for governor in 2014.

Oh, yes, i forgot that Democrats got him as a candidate. Still he stood no chances against Haslam. I think even Bredesen would lose double-digit in such climate.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2014, 07:41:24 AM »

To be honest, I think the title of this thread, with these two choices should be "Which party is more decimated?".

State parties like the FL Dems and WA GOP would be in "disarray", by the meaning of the word.

The thing is, Washington GOP controls the State Senate (before it was neutral control, but now I think they have it outright), and their bench isn't completely terrible. They also have a statewide elected official (SoS Kim Wyman) unlike Florida.

Now replace Washington GOP with Oregon GOP, and I think you're right.

I see, the FL Dems and Oregon GOP are on equal footing.

Oregon GOP forgot it's own moderate roots (Morse, McCall, Hatfield, Packwood and many other) and ignored the fact, that Oregon is generally blue state. This year it was the best state for Democrats, who increased their majorities in legislature while preserving Senate and Governor seats exactly because Republicans nominated too many conservatives (Wehby was more moderate, but had a lot of other problems)
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2014, 10:10:36 AM »

Oregon just needs the right Republican.

You mean "not right Republican"?)))
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2014, 11:06:05 AM »

I mean right, as in, right for the state.

Not right as in right wing.
Exactly. I hinted at second interpretation...
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2014, 01:01:24 AM »

Dudley?? In 2010. That was NOT long ago...

http://www.ourcampaigns.com/RaceDetail.html?RaceID=409686
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2014, 01:55:11 AM »

Oregon just needs the right Republican.

Chris Dudley could of been the first republican governor of Oregon since 1982 had it not been for the constitution party(aka the proto-tea party) being on the ballot.

https://uselectionatlas.org/RESULTS/state.php?fips=41&year=2010&f=0&off=5

694,287 + 20,475 = 714,762

714,762 < 716,525

Also, it's "could have", not "could of".

And if you add Libertarians, who are mostly republican-oriented?
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2014, 05:53:18 AM »

Sure, you can move the goalposts again.  It's all irrelevant to what actually happened anyway.

Nevertheless, Oregon can surely elect moderate Republican statewide. If Vermont almost did it this year (and with relatively weak Republican candidate) - any state can. And it could be even a good thing (i hate 1-party dominance of ANY form). The problem is with Republican party in Oregon, which keeps nominating unwinnable candidates in most races..
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2014, 06:34:02 AM »

Sure, you can move the goalposts again.  It's all irrelevant to what actually happened anyway.

Nevertheless, Oregon can surely elect moderate Republican statewide. If Vermont almost did it this year (and with relatively weak Republican candidate) - any state can. And it could be even a good thing (i hate 1-party dominance of ANY form). The problem is with Republican party in Oregon, which keeps nominating unwinnable candidates in most races..

That's Debbie Wasserman Schultz's 0 state strategy. Make sure that the Democrats have no chance in the red states and make all the blue state races be competitive.

Well, i never was a big fan of conspirology theories...
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2014, 02:43:13 AM »

To show how bad things are for the Hawaii Republicans, their House Minority Leader just switched parties bringing their numbers back down to just 7 seats and canceling out their gains made in 2014.

In Hawaii it makes much more sense to be a Democrat. Just as in Massachusetts and Rhode Island, Or just as it makes sense to be a Republican in Utah, Wyoming, Idaho and (now) most of the South. Even if your ideology differs somewhat from "party norm"...
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies