Edwards signs LGBT non-discrimination exec. order, against Jindal's preferences (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 22, 2024, 04:59:33 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Edwards signs LGBT non-discrimination exec. order, against Jindal's preferences (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Edwards signs LGBT non-discrimination exec. order, against Jindal's preferences  (Read 1451 times)
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« on: April 14, 2016, 09:29:27 PM »

I see marriage equality as settled law. I don't like it, but there's no point in fighting it anymore. I don't think clerks should be forced to hand out ssm licenses against their religious beliefs though, and that is worth legislating.

Government is supposed to be independent of specific religions. If they don't want to hand out SSM marriage licenses, they should stop complaining and get another job.
If one clerk doesn't want to issue SSM licenses, just let another clerk sign them.

It's their job. Look I work at a fro-yo place, and I said that I had a religious objection to giving out toppings, my boss would say suck it up, the same thing I say to these clerks. It's the law, so either let the gays be happy and do your job, or leave your job.
Okay.  I do believe, personally, that people have a right to have their own opinion.  My preference would have been that states define marriage, but what makes this country great is that we have freedom.  We can believe what we want to.  I will not try to convert anyone to my views, nor do I want people to try to convert me to theirs.  We should tolerate everyone's opinion, religion, beliefs, etc.  I do not think you made a valid (or logical) comparison, but okay.

The issue is that they are paid to emit marriage licenses. If they refuse to emit them, they are just not doing their job.

I respect their opinion, but, as such, they refuse to do part of the work they agreed to do. If you are unwilling to emit marriage licenses, you should ask to be transferred in another position or department, since you are unwilling to do the totality of your job description.

Do you really think you can go to your boss and "I object to doing that" and than he will just smile and say okay? I know I would be said "You're paid for that, so go do it or go find work elsewhere".
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies