2012 NDP leadership convention (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 05:30:42 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  2012 NDP leadership convention (search mode)
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]
Author Topic: 2012 NDP leadership convention  (Read 145886 times)
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -1.91

« Reply #150 on: January 18, 2012, 06:15:10 AM »

It's a glass half full thing. You can view it as fully both, or half and half, and I view it as the latter.
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #151 on: January 19, 2012, 12:37:52 PM »

Updated

ES = Estimated Support

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #152 on: January 22, 2012, 10:44:54 PM »

Colin Mochrie appears everywhere.

I don't think that a Canadian can go a single day without seeing that man on TV or hearing about him.

Hell I even knew a guy who saw him walking down the street in London... ENGLAND!
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #153 on: January 24, 2012, 09:08:07 AM »

Anyone remember when Harper made Iggy and Layton members of the privy council? Said something about security?

Anyone else think that he should make Nash, Dewar, and Mulcair (not to mention Turmel) members as well?

Hell I'd appoint those 4 plus Topp, Ashton, Cullen, Sanganash, Harris, Chisholm, Martin, and Davies.
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #154 on: January 25, 2012, 01:20:30 PM »

Canada has it's own brand of political satire (as does the UK for that matter) that would not work well in the other country, or even other countries in general.
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #155 on: January 25, 2012, 01:38:55 PM »

If Dewar wins the leadership, Mazigh could well win Ottawa South in 2015.
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #156 on: January 25, 2012, 11:06:59 PM »

And THAT my friends, is the EXACT attitude I was referring to when I said the NDP has an attitude in it that makes people want to leave.
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #157 on: January 26, 2012, 12:53:09 AM »

Litmus tests on a range of issues, and you must pass ALL of them to be accepted. Even the Reform/Alliance never went that far.

It's unacceptable when it's on wrong issues like the US Republicans
And it's unacceptable when it's on right issues like the NDP

I agree with SSM
I agree with free at the point of access healthcare for the poor
I agree with ending the gun registry
But I disagree with Senate Abolition, and the venom that I had on that issue is why I eventually left the NDP and never looked back. I can not, ever, see any circumstances, ever, where I'd, ever, get an NDP membership again. And this is why.

I refuse to be judges as inadequate of a human because I fail to pass your arbitrary litmus tests.

Mazigh is not a bad person, or EVEN a bad New Demcorat, because she opposes SSM.
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #158 on: January 26, 2012, 12:59:25 AM »

Mazigh is not a bad person, or EVEN a bad New Demcorat, because she opposes SSM.

And that's why I hope they never listen to you.

I've edited your quote.
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #159 on: January 26, 2012, 07:02:00 AM »

YOU not voting for them is fine, but suggesting that they are not NDP material??

The NDP will have a hell of a time winning government if they keep up this line of thinking. Look at the Tories, and their stance against gay rights and for abortion... Also, look at how many seats in urban areas they have.

The NDP will need suburban and even rural support to win a government, and in order to get that, they can't be tossing people off the boat left and right. It's fine to be personally opposed to certain things - I'd never vote for someone who wanted to actively repeal SSM (though I would vote for someone who "does not like the idea", but won't take steps to reverse it) - but excluding a person from a party on those grounds is a hard pill to stomach.

As for Gun Control, two MP's went against the party and were prohibited from speaking in Parliament, and we'll have to see what the party will do if they continue to oppose them on these issues.

It's this line of thinking, that there is X, and X is a moral issue of some sort, and X is a binary, a black and white, there is a right and a wrong, and if you are not all for X or all against it as the case may be, than somehow you are craaaaaaazy or insane.

The media glossed over that floor crosser's comment about the "attitude" of the NDP driving her away, but I see it as a serious long-term problem for the party if they ever want to get into the driver's seat without the Liberals as an eternal coalition partner.

Then again I wouldn't oppose creating a political system where the Liberals are forever the jr partner in coalition with whomever wins the most seats.
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #160 on: January 27, 2012, 05:39:43 PM »

And THAT my friends, is the EXACT attitude I was referring to when I said the NDP has an attitude in it that makes people want to leave.
It's one thing if it's over the gun registry or something like that, which was a mistake for Turmel to discipline that one MP over.  But if someone wants to deny gays of fundamental human rights, than they have absolutely NO place in the NDP. 
Is marriage a "fundamental human right"?
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #161 on: January 27, 2012, 05:58:43 PM »

I support civil unions and marriage, I really don't see the difference. I know some people do and say that if you want to give 2 people the same rights as a married couple, but call it something else, then knock yourself out. How am I opposing fundamental human rights by having this opinion?

Frankly, the more you guys try to argue against what I said - that the NDP has an exclusionary attitude problem - the more you prove my point.
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #162 on: January 30, 2012, 03:29:58 AM »

no one should pay attention to any polls until
A - 2 months have passed showing the same results, and
B - During these 2 months there have been at least 10 polls from at least 3 different companies, and
C - those results show a party having lost or gained 1st, 2nd, or 3rd in a region or province of the country.
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #163 on: February 02, 2012, 11:25:17 PM »

http://www.punditsguide.ca/2012/02/ndp-leadership-fundraising-predicted-first-ballot-outcome-in-2003/

This is a trend I've noticed in the past, in particular with the recent Bloc race, and the last Alberta Liberal race.
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #164 on: February 04, 2012, 02:37:57 AM »

On Desjarlais-Ashton

The higher up in the NDP you go, the better the party is. For a moment I thought I saw Nycole Turmel at the Fortinos, but turns out it wasn't her, obviously, but for that moment I was WAY more excited than when I thought I saw Liz May.

I'd also love to share a dinner convo with many many NDP MP's, that Boultrice guy, Pat Martin (I think he and I would get along), as well as Gary Doer. However individual members of the NDP are... well, I call them "leftoids".
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies