KS-SEN 2020 Megathread: Marshall overperforms and wins
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 02, 2024, 09:46:53 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  KS-SEN 2020 Megathread: Marshall overperforms and wins
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28 29 ... 46
Author Topic: KS-SEN 2020 Megathread: Marshall overperforms and wins  (Read 81580 times)
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #575 on: April 12, 2020, 06:22:04 PM »

Kobach isn't going to be the nominee. Roger Marshall is raising a lot more money and will most likely get Trump's endorsement.

Bummer.

I get that the margin would be closer with Kobach but I don't want that idiot anywhere near the senate

It's not just "that the margin would be closer." It's that race would legitimately be winnable.
SnowLabrador
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #576 on: April 12, 2020, 07:46:39 PM »

Kobach isn't going to be the nominee. Roger Marshall is raising a lot more money and will most likely get Trump's endorsement.

Bummer.

I get that the margin would be closer with Kobach but I don't want that idiot anywhere near the senate

It's not just "that the margin would be closer." It's that race would legitimately be winnable.

I don't think it's winnable even with Kobach, but let's stop pretending that Senator Kris Kobach would be any more dangerous than Senator Roger Marshall in terms of voting record.
America Needs a 13-6 Progressive SCOTUS
Solid4096
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.88, S: -8.51

P P P
« Reply #577 on: April 12, 2020, 07:54:36 PM »

Bummer.

I don't think it's winnable even with Kobach, but let's stop pretending that Senator Kris Kobach would be any more dangerous than Senator Roger Marshall in terms of voting record.

We literally just beat Kobach 2 years ago. We can do it again this year.
Lognog
United States

« Reply #578 on: April 12, 2020, 10:13:59 PM »

Bummer.

yeah but that was a state race as opposed to a national race and in a D+9 night as well

edit: D+9 night not race
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #579 on: April 12, 2020, 10:14:49 PM »

Bummer.

yeah but that was a state race as opposed to a national race and in a D+9 race as well
the difference between state and federal in Kansas is probably wider than any other region/state of the country besides New England.
Lognog
United States

« Reply #580 on: April 12, 2020, 10:16:21 PM »

Bummer.

yeah but that was a state race as opposed to a national race and in a D+9 race as well
the difference between state and federal in Kansas is probably wider than any other region/state of the country besides New England.

This. People should be happy this voter fraud lunatic is not able to get in the senate
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #581 on: April 12, 2020, 10:21:48 PM »

Bummer.

This. People should be happy this voter fraud lunatic is not able to get in the senate
fun fact: Kansas Democrats party switched in droves in 2016 in order to drive out Brownback GOPers, and they bolstered the ranks of the moderate wing of the KS GOP considerably, in what amounted to a counter-reaction to a state where the fulcrum has long been in the palm of the moderate GOP.  Kansas has a natural GOP majority, but the GOP itself is split in two longstanding factions.
Kansas in practice is a three-party system - conservative Rs, moderate Rs, and Democrats.
Lognog
United States

« Reply #582 on: April 13, 2020, 01:54:10 AM »

Bummer.

fun fact: Kansas Democrats party switched in droves in 2016 in order to drive out Brownback GOPers, and they bolstered the ranks of the moderate wing of the KS GOP considerably, in what amounted to a counter-reaction to a state where the fulcrum has long been in the palm of the moderate GOP.  Kansas has a natural GOP majority, but the GOP itself is split in two longstanding factions.
Kansas in practice is a three-party system - conservative Rs, moderate Rs, and Democrats.

Very anecdotal but my roommate from kanas is very liberal but him and all of the other liberal people he knows (he lives in the KS area) are registered Democrats to do just what you said, helping moderates get elected
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #583 on: April 13, 2020, 02:07:52 AM »
« Edited: April 13, 2020, 02:16:05 AM by Southern Speaker Punxsutawney Phil »

Bummer.

fun fact: Kansas Democrats party switched in droves in 2016 in order to drive out Brownback GOPers, and they bolstered the ranks of the moderate wing of the KS GOP considerably, in what amounted to a counter-reaction to a state where the fulcrum has long been in the palm of the moderate GOP.  Kansas has a natural GOP majority, but the GOP itself is split in two longstanding factions.

Very anecdotal but my roommate from kanas is very liberal but him and all of the other liberal people he knows (he lives in the KS area) are registered Democrats to do just what you said, helping moderates get elected
You can also notice that Ds do especially well in two different circumstances - 1) the two wings of the GOP are divided (this is how Sebelius won in 2002) and 2) when the moderates are fed up with the conservatives taking things too far so they vote Dem instead (which is how Kelly was elected in 2018, as part of the backlash against Brownback).
Kansas for some particular reason is a party system all to its own, with no perfect equivalents anywhere else in the country. If I had to point to any single reason, it'd be Kansas being the epitome of ancestral R and not being D-leaning in any real sense under any past American political alignment meaning that the resulting dominant-party-system became highly attuned to GOP internal divisions. A reinforcing side-effect of this is that moderate factions became highly tolerant of GOP partisan affiliation.
It's a mid-point really, between a competitive state like Wisconsin and Pennsylvania on one end and a past one-party system in the Deep South in the days of the Jim Crow.
Whats the matter with Kansas?
Libertas Vel Mors
Haley/Ryan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -0.17

« Reply #584 on: April 13, 2020, 02:29:33 AM »

The KS GOP moderate branch needs to be cleansed with fire, and that's the end of it. Tim Huelskamp 2020.
Lognog
United States

« Reply #585 on: April 13, 2020, 01:50:44 PM »

The KS GOP moderate branch needs to be cleansed with fire, and that's the end of it. Tim Huelskamp 2020.

the tread above discusses how disastrous that is for Republicans in Kanas
QAnonKelly
dotard

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.50

« Reply #586 on: April 13, 2020, 08:12:42 PM »

Wow how dare a moderate state have a moderate ruling party!
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #587 on: April 13, 2020, 08:17:21 PM »

I agree!
Any moderate GOP Kansan should be vilified by the local party and told they are RINOs. Moderate GOP politicians should be pressured to resign and the RINOs should be told to go vote Democrat.
This would work out great for Kansas!
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #588 on: April 13, 2020, 10:16:40 PM »

I dont know why the absence of polls of KS
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« Reply #589 on: April 13, 2020, 10:20:57 PM »

Well, I mean, that's what happened under Brownback, and the moderate Republicans simply began voting with Democrats to block his Tea Party-esque proposals, not to mention the "tax experiment," which made Brownback, one of the country's most unpopular governors. If you kick the moderate Republicans out or make them feel like they don't belong in the GOP, they will just start voting with Democrats, or if they are voters, rather than officeholders, they will vote for Democrats.
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -1.24

« Reply #590 on: April 13, 2020, 10:23:37 PM »

Kansas reminds me of New England politics.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #591 on: April 14, 2020, 01:17:58 AM »

Kansas reminds me of New England politics.
It's probably no accident that this is the case. Kansas' culture was shaped in its early years by ancestrally R migrants from the Great Lakes and other free states, and those people in turn could trace a lot of their heritage to New England.
Pollster
YaBB God

« Reply #592 on: April 14, 2020, 10:16:14 AM »

The underestimating of Kobach's strength among Kansas GOP primary voters here is stunning.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #593 on: April 14, 2020, 10:33:53 AM »
« Edited: April 14, 2020, 10:49:33 AM by Cory Booker »

There aren't any nternal polls so I wonder if Dems are worried about this race, since they have released internal polls on Barry Grissom when he was running.  Absence of polling is stunning
Libertas Vel Mors
Haley/Ryan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -0.17

« Reply #594 on: April 14, 2020, 11:26:48 AM »

Moderate? Kansas voted for Trump by 20 points.
Lognog
United States

« Reply #595 on: April 14, 2020, 04:50:10 PM »

Moderate? Kansas voted for Trump by 20 points.

So is that why VT MD and MA have democratic governors
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #596 on: April 14, 2020, 05:01:18 PM »

Yeah, how dare Republicans be moderates! Only Democrats are supposed to be moderates (and shouldn’t be allowed to be anything else.)
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #597 on: April 15, 2020, 04:25:31 PM »

Lognog
United States

« Reply #598 on: April 15, 2020, 07:53:17 PM »

did Marshall's campaign release any numbers
SnowLabrador
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #599 on: April 15, 2020, 08:19:40 PM »

did Marshall's campaign release any numbers

Yeah. Marshall raised $376k in Q1, so not too much better.
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28 29 ... 46  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies