Trump approval ratings thread 1.2
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 13, 2024, 08:06:37 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Trump approval ratings thread 1.2
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... 78
Author Topic: Trump approval ratings thread 1.2  (Read 184333 times)
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #175 on: October 30, 2017, 12:40:51 PM »

This is the point of no return...
Doimper
Doctor Imperialism

« Reply #176 on: October 30, 2017, 12:43:49 PM »

Did even Truman ever get this low?
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #177 on: October 30, 2017, 12:45:21 PM »

This is like when you blow a bubble with bubble gum and it gets so big that you can't avoid it bursting on your glasses.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #178 on: October 30, 2017, 12:47:36 PM »

Just to emphasize, there are 3 recent polls showing his disapproval at >60%.
progressive85
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #179 on: October 30, 2017, 12:55:45 PM »

I want to see a 67% disapproval rating by this time next year - with profound consequences for the ruling party.  #ToxicTrump
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #180 on: October 30, 2017, 01:07:37 PM »
« Edited: October 30, 2017, 01:49:57 PM by pbrower2a »

Damn it I was this close to posting that

I wonder if it'll go lower once today is fully factored in.

Much of the damage has already been done. The President and his administration have been deceitful, corrupt, reckless, and insensitive; the remaining question is whether we had a fair election last year.

I don't normally predict how polls will go, as the polls will far better tell than we can predict. They will be definitive of what they are. I suspect that the only effect will be that people who have been holding off on disapproving of the President until there is an indictment appears. We have an indictment and we have a guilty plea of a subordinate who got permission to exceed his usual authority. We all had the impression that Paul Manafort was a devious operator, and the indictment  is the formality. An indictment is not proof of guilt, but it is enough.

As a general rule, politicians with scandals yet to break usually have horrid approval ratings before the scandal breaks. Approval ratings to a large extent reflect trust in the politician, and politicians with something to hide usually seem secretive and defensive, which is not good for building trust. I think of Governors Bob Corbett with the Penn State football/child-molesting coach scandal... or Rod Blagojevich in the effort to sell the Senate seat that the President had vacated. Those are very different scandals, and both Governors had execrable levels of approval even before the scandals broke the press. I suspect that political journalists who know a few tidbits know enough to not laud politicians with problems of character. If you are going to tout a politician and you are Tom Brokaw, then that politician had better be Barack Obama.     

It would be only a guess on how many people would break from this President. Almost as much damage as can be done to this President can be done until further dirt emerges in a court of law.
So far I am watching CNN on this story... the President's press secretary Sarah Huckabee-Sanders  tried to change the topic to 'tax reform. Of course I expect further efforts to deflect, as such is the character of Donald Trump and company...

Pardon the Star Trek reference, but not even chain mail under a Kevlar vest can deflect the phaser of truth.

If you are using temperatures as an indication, the President's approval is in a cold rain about to become a blizzard, and disapproval is almost at the level in which one takes off a sweater.

Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #181 on: October 30, 2017, 01:13:32 PM »

His lowest was 34%.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #182 on: October 30, 2017, 01:13:56 PM »

Jesus Christ.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #183 on: October 30, 2017, 01:24:00 PM »

Carter reached 28%, but had a temporary rebound into the 50s after two-and-a-half years... and then collapsed again. That's Gallup.

A year ago many of us thought that Hillary Clinton would be President and that Democrats would win the Senate majority. We may be finding that we were cheated.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #184 on: October 30, 2017, 01:26:55 PM »

This is like when you blow a bubble with bubble gum and it gets so big that you can't avoid it bursting on your glasses.
And then you have to deflate it with your hands, but your hands are too small.
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #185 on: October 30, 2017, 01:42:40 PM »

His lowest was 22% in Feb '52.

The Bushes, Carter, Nixon and Truman are the only presidents thus far to have recorded approvals in the 20s.
Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« Reply #186 on: October 30, 2017, 03:07:36 PM »
« Edited: October 30, 2017, 03:30:55 PM by Tintrlvr »

I think it is basically because he got a short-term boost from Hurricanes Harvey and Irma that has now worn off completely, and we're picking up where approvals left off before the hurricanes in August as fatigue continues to set in.

There are a wide variety of unpopular things right now that don't help: tax "reform" is very unpopular and eats in particular at his base of low-income whites, there is continued dissatisfaction on healthcare even though the bill itself is dead, there is lingering bad news about the response to Hurricane Maria (compounded by the unraveling Whitefish Energy scandal that may consume his Interior Secretary), there is general unhappiness with his handling of the NFL/anthem protests, Mueller has announced his first indictments, which brings the Russia scandal back into the news, etc.
adrac
adracman42

Political Matrix
E: -9.99, S: -9.99

« Reply #187 on: October 30, 2017, 03:12:01 PM »

Think today's news will send us below freezing this week?
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #188 on: October 30, 2017, 03:16:02 PM »

This was all BEFORE the 3 indictments and the failed Trans ban. I can only imagine the approvals at the end of the week.
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #189 on: October 30, 2017, 03:18:29 PM »

I approve of Trump more than ever in light of today's charges. We must work with Putin and his glorious Christian Tsardom to defend Christendom. Dig in. Fight back. God is on our side.

Is this a joke post?  I honestly can’t tell.  You can’t be both Christian and pro-Putin.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #190 on: October 30, 2017, 03:18:51 PM »

I think it is basically because he got a short-term boost from Hurricanes Harvey and Irma that has now worn off completely, and we're basically picking up where approvals left off before the hurricanes in August as fatigue continues to set in.

There are a wide variety of unpopular things right now that don't help: tax "reform" is very unpopular and eats in particular at his base of low-income whites, there is continued dissatisfaction on healthcare even though the bill itself is dead, there is lingering bad news about the response to Hurricane Maria (compounded by the unraveling Whitefish Energy scandal that may consume his Interior Secretary), there is general unhappiness with his handling of the NFL/anthem protests, Mueller has announced his first indictments, which brings the Russia scandal back into the news, etc.

It's too soon for the indictments to have any effect.  But his public feud with the Gold Star widow, along with two prominent Republican senators essentially calling Trump dangerously unfit for office, have probably contributed to the recent decline in approval.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #191 on: October 30, 2017, 03:19:12 PM »

Think today's news will send us below freezing this week?

He's already almost there, and the first indictments just came out this morning.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #192 on: October 30, 2017, 03:19:31 PM »

I approve of Trump more than ever in light of today's charges. We must work with Putin and his glorious Christian Tsardom to defend Christendom. Dig in. Fight back. God is on our side.

Is this a joke post?  I honestly can’t tell.  You can’t be both Christian and pro-Putin.

Of course it's a joke.  ETA: But it reminds me of something Daniel90whatever would say.
Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« Reply #193 on: October 30, 2017, 03:40:40 PM »

Is this a joke post?  I honestly can’t tell.  You can’t be both Christian and pro-Putin.

Of course it's a joke.  ETA: But it reminds me of something Daniel90whatever would say.

From Santander it might not be. But no-true-Christian-ing is no more helpful than no-true-Scotsman-ing in any case.
Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« Reply #194 on: October 30, 2017, 05:09:21 PM »

I think it is basically because he got a short-term boost from Hurricanes Harvey and Irma that has now worn off completely, and we're basically picking up where approvals left off before the hurricanes in August as fatigue continues to set in.

It's too soon for the indictments to have any effect.  But his public feud with the Gold Star widow, along with two prominent Republican senators essentially calling Trump dangerously unfit for office, have probably contributed to the recent decline in approval.

The fact that indictments were coming was announced on Friday.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #195 on: October 30, 2017, 05:15:23 PM »
« Edited: October 30, 2017, 05:31:35 PM by pbrower2a »

I doubt that one can be both Christian and pro-Trump, either, after the Manafort, Gates, and Papadopoulos indictments.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #196 on: October 30, 2017, 05:25:43 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #197 on: October 31, 2017, 09:39:10 AM »

PPP, 572 RV, Oct 27-29 (change from last month)

Approve 38 (-4)
Disapprove 56 (+3)

That's -11 to -18 in a month.

Support for impeachment is 49-41.  Some other terrible numbers for Trump:

52/41 think he's a liar.
56/37 think he's not honest.
51/42 think he's mentally unbalanced.
Statilius the Epicurean
Thersites
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #198 on: October 31, 2017, 09:40:52 AM »

But Trump's a 50/50 shot to win re-election guys
BudgieForce
superbudgie1582
YaBB God

« Reply #199 on: October 31, 2017, 09:52:11 AM »

That's pretty bad considering PPP has been somewhat favorable to him.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... 78  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies