The dark side of the Bible (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 06:35:18 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  The dark side of the Bible (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The dark side of the Bible  (Read 2420 times)
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« on: July 21, 2017, 04:17:49 AM »

As TiK said above, the Bible was written by various people at various times. Still, it's thousands years old and aside of fruitcakes no one takes these verses literally anymore.

Personally I call the Old Testament the greatest crime/gore book of all times.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2017, 11:15:29 AM »

At risk of being buried under the mounting outrage, there was no such concepts as "homophobia" or "misogyny" when the Bible was being written and adopted.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2017, 01:01:28 PM »

At risk of being buried under the mounting outrage, there was no such concepts as "homophobia" or "misogyny" when the Bible was being written and adopted.

And wiping out tribes and taking women as spoils of war wasn't either. Not being facetious; we see that sort of mentality with ISIS.

Well, the Book of Jozue is explicitly about barbarian hordes exterminating entire cities just cause, sometimes sparing one person or family for the lulz. I haven't defended this, obviously, but they way of thinking back hundreds of years ago was diffrent than ours (fortunately), and that should be remembered when discussing the content and the context.

For sure taking such stuff as literal directions now is homophobic/misogynic etc.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2017, 02:00:51 PM »
« Edited: September 27, 2017, 02:02:58 PM by Claude Trollo »

I always enjoyed the way the Bible is narrated: describing all these gross/scary/disturbing stuff in a truly deadpan tone. It's extremely climatic.

So many times Yahweh appears as simply the best-written villain of all times. To use a modern analogy, the entire Exodus is basically "the Chad Yahweh and the Virgin Pharaoh" meme personified.

And at the same time there is a lot of wisdom in the book I feel I can relate to. For example, I find Exodus 23:9 as particularly relevant today ("You shall not oppress a sojourner. You know the heart of a sojourner, for you were sojourners in the land of Egypt").
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies