Northeast Election Law Codification Commission (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 06:53:25 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Northeast Election Law Codification Commission (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Northeast Election Law Codification Commission  (Read 3136 times)
Clyde1998
United Kingdom

« on: December 14, 2015, 11:01:02 AM »

Did we ever reach a conclusion on this?
Clyde1998
United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2016, 03:17:07 PM »

Something that I've seen that should be added:
i) A voter's ballot is valid only if the voter -
   a) is registered with the Atlasian Secretary of Forum Affairs as a voter of a Northeastern state 7 days prior to the day appointed for the election to begin;
   b) and does not edit or delete a post after the next post has been made.
   c) and does not write anything other than their vote in the voting booth.
Clyde1998
United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2016, 02:42:15 PM »

I'm happy with the changes that have been made, this far.
Clyde1998
United Kingdom

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2016, 04:07:35 PM »

I'm happy with the changes that have been made, this far.

What do you think about restoring the None of the Above option?  I'm happy without it.  It lead to confusion when included on the ballot.
I'd prefer to not have it; I feel that it could result in problems regarding filling offices - particularly in special elections for the Assembly.
Clyde1998
United Kingdom

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2016, 06:45:35 PM »

In the section with alternative persons authorized to open a voting booth there is Secreatey of forum affairs. Is this an old title that has been changed?
I think the Secretary of the State is the current version of the Secretary of Forum Affairs.
Clyde1998
United Kingdom

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2016, 07:08:24 PM »

I don't naturally associate that task with Secretary of State. I guess another thing to verify or change.

There is a strike on this text in the voting rules section:

iii) Polls shall be opened by the Governor of the Northeast between 12:00am Eastern Standard Time and 11:59am Eastern Standard Time on the day appointed for the election to begin.

Is there another place, perhaps in the constitution that specifies the hours of voting? Because hours of voting need to be some place.

https://uselectionatlas.org/AFEWIKI/index.php/New_Northeast_Constitution
Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.
Clyde1998
United Kingdom

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2016, 07:39:25 PM »

I found another text with Forums Affairs:

i) A voter's ballot is valid only if the voter -
   a) is registered with the Atlasian Secretary of Forum Affairs as a voter of a Northeastern state 7 days prior to the day appointed for the election to begin;

Maybe it's now called the Registrar General ? This text needs a change.
The problem with federal Departmets officials is we could add the Attorney General or Secretary of Interior but if Presidents suggest new names and departments the list in our law will be inaccurate.
It appears so.

We currently have a Secretary of Federal Elections - who could over see elections, should no-one else be available to do it.
Clyde1998
United Kingdom

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2016, 03:49:31 PM »

I'm fine with the text in the previous post.

I have a minor point. In the declaration of candidate section:
ii) Valid declarations of candidacy for special Northeast elections must be posted in the Candidate Declaration Thread after the election's announcement but at least one day before the election is set to begin.

Is "after election's announcement" an official post by the CJO or after the vacancy occurs? If a citizen sees a vacancy he/she would probably declare and not wait for an official announcement.

In the explanantion for removal of supremacy clause, maybe we could add it doesn't stop the region to have to meet minimum standards set by federal legislation.
If there is a conflict between federal and regional law that will be the courts who will have to interpret the minimum standard. For example, if the region doesn't allow editing of vote, is it breaking a law. 

The law doesn't seem to specify whether it is after an official post by the CJO or whatever.  Should we change it to after the vacancy occurs, instead?

The problem with the Supremacy clause is that if our counting or tie breaking rules differ, federal law could arguably apply instead of regional law.  We should be able to have our own counting rules, for example.
I think we should change it to when after the vacancy occurs.

I think that the supremacy clause shouldn't be relevant in a regional election, as it would be Regional Law dictating the rules of the election. I believe that we can set tougher standards than Federal Law, on all issues, but not weaker standards than Federal Law.
Clyde1998
United Kingdom

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2016, 01:41:31 PM »

Aye
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies