The Hill: Tinker files to take on Cohen again, setting up racially charged prima (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 02:10:56 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  The Hill: Tinker files to take on Cohen again, setting up racially charged prima (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Hill: Tinker files to take on Cohen again, setting up racially charged prima  (Read 1977 times)
Bleeding heart conservative, HTMLdon
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.26

« on: June 08, 2007, 01:03:23 PM »

If its Tinker vs. Cohen, say hello to Congresswoman Tinker.

Personally, I respect and admire Steve Cohen.  He's done a lot of good for the state and stands up for what he believes in. 

That being said, I get a chuckle when the white Dems around here get all offended that African-Americans might want "their own" seat back in Congress.   Whatever happened to Affirmative Action; to wanting African-Americans to have equal representation in positions of power?

It is Republicans that argue that we shouldn't judge people on account of their  skin color. It is Republicans who have promoted African-Americans, like J.C. Watts, to lead in overwhelmingly white districts.  It just seems to me that white Dems in Memphis want to have it both ways.  They want us to judge students and employees differently, through Affirmative Action, in order to make up for past and present discrimination; but they ask that blacks be color-blind in voting for their member of Congress.

I'd probably vote for Steve Cohen if I were a Democrat.  But I won't flinch when Nikki Tinker kicks his smug honky ass and teaches his white liberal supporters a valuable lesson.
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2007, 12:26:15 AM »

Don was making a point to "the liberals on the forum". This includes me.

Huh?  No, I wasn't referring to liberals on the forum - "white liberals around here" refers to the cadre of white liberals in Memphis.  The white-lib bloggers are all up in arms because Nikki Tinker dares to challenge their hero.
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2007, 12:32:58 AM »
« Edited: June 09, 2007, 12:35:56 AM by Htmldon, voted most partisan member 3 years in a row! »

Why do Conservatives oppose Affirmative Action then when they elect a President do nothing but practice it (Colin Powell, Gonzalez, Rice, and half the administration)?

So now you are resorting to insulting the talents and abilities of Powell, Gonzalez, and Rice because of their skin color?  Colin Powell was the most qualified man in the country for a cabinet position - he really would have been better placed as our Presidential nominee.  Condi Rice is also exceptionally qualified for her job and both of these individuals served in the GHWB administration.  Gonzo is a friend of the President, and being hispanic shouldn't preclude one from accessing the priveledges of connections Tongue  These officials aren't the result of systematic reverse discrmination, a.k.a. Affirmative Action, they are a result of a President who hired the most qualified and capable people for their respective jobs and those people happened to be African-American.

htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2007, 12:44:42 AM »

Don was making a point to "the liberals on the forum". This includes me.

Anyway, at the end of this year I'll be moving to a majority white district with a black Congressman. That cancels out Cohen.

"cancels out"?

Blacks are 12% of the country, but only have 40 members of the House and 1 member of the Senate.  If they had 12% of those bodies, there would be 52 Reps and 12 Senators.  Now tell me again how your buddy Ellison "cancels out" the denial of another African-American voice in Congress?

htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2007, 11:13:41 PM »

If it is okay for Steve Cohen to have won election because of race (winning the Dem primary with ~30%, garnering 80% of the white vote and a fraction of the split black vote), then it should certainly okay for Nikki Tinker to win because of race.

You also didn't vote that way last election when you had a chance to put in another black Senator. Furthermore, I don't see why you would, since they mostly tend to be race-baiting jackasses, which is what racial gerrymandering is mostly to blame for. Do you actually want MORE Cynthia McKinneys and Sheila Jackson-Lees?

No, I want more J.C. Watts, Gary Franks, and Michael Steeles.  I'm no fan of Nikki Tinker, but she would fall more in line with Artur Davis or Ford Jr. himself.
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2007, 12:24:40 PM »

Don't you think that competent representation should be a little more important than what color the representative's skin happens to be by birth?

Silly Canadian,  Of course it should be.   But we have a long history of subjugation and discrimination and these things have to be dealt with.  I'm okay with having a white liberal Congressman, but I'm getting a bit concerned by white liberals getting "uppity".  Carol Chumney (white lib dem) is currently the front runner for city mayor, against several black candidates.  Isn't it a bad precedent to keep diminishing the presence of black elected officials in an overwhelmingly black community, especially when there is a great disparity in the number of black officials across the country?

Again I point out that Steve Cohen is our Congressman because of a split in the black vote - his whiteness was used to gain election, so why shouldn't it be used to lose election?  I'm not saying it's right, I'm just saying that whats good for the goose is good for the gander.
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2007, 12:25:26 PM »
« Edited: June 11, 2007, 12:27:32 PM by Htmldon, voted most partisan member 3 years in a row! »

I would've voted for Cohen, not because he was white, but because he was the most liberal guy running and he doesn't belong in jail like every member of the Ford family except Harold.

Why do you hate black people?

No member of the Ford family was running in the 9th CD Democratic primary last year.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies