The Lief Reservoir of Simple Truths and Smart One-Liners (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 04:54:23 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  The Lief Reservoir of Simple Truths and Smart One-Liners (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: The Lief Reservoir of Simple Truths and Smart One-Liners  (Read 230230 times)
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« on: January 10, 2015, 01:15:38 PM »

Ah, nostalgia for the 19th century...(only thing missing is the promotion of scientific racism and the obsession with the price of gold and.....oh.)

It's 2015? Huh

Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2015, 08:27:01 PM »

Context:

He seems to be declining. He used to be a pretty normal poster, but he is increasingly bitter, repetitive, preoccupied by forum-internal personality conflicts, and wild in his mischaracterizations of his opponents.
I constantly am told that I "hate women" and am "pro-rape" but I'm the one who mischaracterizes others? You people are insane.

Whether you mischaracterize others and whether others mischaracterize you are separate questions, and not mutually exclusive in any way.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2015, 06:55:54 PM »

It's true that a movie that's a "love letter to movies" seems to win Oscars at an unfair rate.  Birdman is sort of that, and sort of a cease and desist demand to movies.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2015, 04:52:43 PM »

Aren't we all under communist influence to some extent?
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2015, 10:21:09 PM »

Ethics are morals for those who are too gutless to have them.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2015, 07:44:54 PM »

They sucked the mystery out of it.  Probably the effect of baby boomers moving into leadership positions in the school system during the 90s.  "Make everything fascist but pretend to be their best friends!" said every Baby Boomer ever about Millennials.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2015, 10:25:43 PM »

The second amendment starts off with a dangling modifier, so it's a little hard to take seriously.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2016, 04:47:37 PM »

"American colonists were undocumented immigrants!" Not that I'm opposed to immigration as a concept, but do people making that comparison know what we did to the American Indians? Very poor example of why people coming to another country wouldn't be a threat.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2016, 06:43:12 PM »
« Edited: February 23, 2016, 07:10:27 PM by Bow all your heads to our adored Mary Katherine. »

Clinton would perhaps be worse than a generic D. Its kind of shocking that she's having to fend off Bernie Sanders in the first place.

Given that she's had to fend off...well everyone since 1992, maybe she's seen as a legitimate threat so some hegemonic part of America.

Or maybe she's just a poor politician?

But no, of course it can't be so simple... Makes more sense to believe that everybody has an irrational hatred of her for some reason.

That "some reason" is of course rampant and systemic sexism, but I wouldn't expect the guy that wants the state to tell women who they are and are not allowed to have sex with to know anything about that. Roll Eyes

Are you seriously implying that any position short of complete legalization of prostitution is inherently sexist? Because I know Antonio isn't in favor of continued criminalization.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2016, 10:15:19 AM »

I'd rather have Chile gradually move to American working conditions than the opposite.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2016, 09:18:04 AM »

I'm actually starting to think that Obama is one of the best presidents, but that says more about the other presidents than it does about Obama.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2016, 01:22:15 PM »

I sort of think we should keep Jackson.  Obviously, he did some pretty bad things, but Jacksonian Democracy and the expansion of the electorate were very important in creating the United States as a truly democratic nation.

So was the Underground Railroad.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2016, 11:46:44 PM »

Are they in a union? If Not, This is why a union is a fundamental right that everyone has to have and needs to be in.

I just want you to acknowledge how fringe it is to believe that you should have to be in a union just for being employed.

You not liking something does not make it a fringe position.

Agreed.  What makes it fringe is it's ridiculous and a very left-wing position.

I mean, yes, it's currently a position that's been relegated to the political periphery, sure.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2016, 08:29:46 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

And yet, that's what every college freshman does orientation week - use a map to get around.  I get that it's exaggeration, but the whole "youth know nothing!!!!" shtick is a bit tiresome.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2016, 11:18:50 PM »

I finally finished the last season of Girls (which is basically the most Millennial show ever) and I can not imagine any character on that show caring the slightest about their ethnic heritage and traditions. They're the very epitome of "rootless cosmopolitan".

Girls is a Millennial show in the sense that all Millennials are exclusively affluent New Yorkers who want to find themselves and explore their art with their pretentious self absorbed Brooklynite friends. Because the charmed experiences of an Upper East Side socialite who has been fawmed over in NY media circles since she was a child and has admitted to some odd sexual experiences involving her younger sister are pretty universal to people my age.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2016, 08:08:32 PM »

The context is a discussion of 'heightening the contradictions'.

What I don't understand is how anyone can possibly think that it even works. Like for example based on it Margaret Thatcher would've brought about Prime Minister Corbyn (or some equivalent) decades ago...but no 18 years of Tory government and then the most right wing guy possible to lead the Labour Party. And Ronald Reagan sure didn't bring about a left wing Democratic Party or President.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2016, 10:44:54 PM »

Very embarrassing that the 32-year-old who has an obsession with 14-year-old Classic is now really butthurt after a burn from 15-year-old Kingpo.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2016, 01:25:30 AM »

Disobeying a police officer can be a misdemeanor or a felony, but it cannot be a capital crime where the officer is the judge, jury and executioner.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2016, 06:33:55 PM »

Duterte might have been elected democratically, but he's rapidly approaching the territory when, due to one's action, there's no legitimacy to claim anymore.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2016, 03:32:13 PM »

BRTD being an FF and BRTD being an idiot are not mutually exclusive positions.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2016, 01:45:06 PM »

Context is evolution:

Technically, it's both a law and a hypothesis
No, it's neither of those things. It's not a law because it can't be expressed as a mathematical formula that can be applied as a universal constant (laws are generally associated with physics and chemistry, rarely biology) and it's not a hypothesis because a hypothesis because that would mean it hasn't been repeatedly tested and confirmed.

Theories, laws, and hypotheses all refer to different things, nothing can be all three.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2016, 10:05:49 PM »

MUH EXPECTATIONS GAME!!!!1!1!!!1111

What the f**k people. This is ridiculous. It's not a f**king game. Stop being children.

That's politics dude.  Save your hand-wringing for the soaps.

NOT IT'S NOT.

It's what a generation of utter cultural decadence has fooled people into thinking politics is.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2016, 01:50:19 PM »

MUH EXPECTATIONS GAME!!!!1!1!!!1111

What the f**k people. This is ridiculous. It's not a f**king game. Stop being children.

That's politics dude.  Save your hand-wringing for the soaps.

NOT IT'S NOT.

It's what a generation of utter cultural decadence has fooled people into thinking politics is.

Like I said.  You might not like it, but that is what politics is.

The media wants a horserace.  They were never going to get this election get out of control.

And feeling entitled to 'a horserace' at all costs, regardless of the quality of the candidates and their fitness for office or anything even close to office, is decadent and depraved.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2016, 02:49:18 PM »

The fact that words and phrases like "cuck" and "alpha male" have seriously entered the political discourse is mind-numbingly disappointing.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2016, 05:53:11 PM »

They banned liquor, sterilized minorities, imprisoned thousands of political prisoners, and re-segregated the federal government. How progressive.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies