Ancestry and political attitudes (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 13, 2024, 11:44:48 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Ancestry and political attitudes (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Ancestry and political attitudes  (Read 5036 times)
RBH

« on: January 01, 2013, 09:34:15 PM »

I've wondered about this for a long time as well. The area in which I live in Southeast Missouri is predominantly of German American heritage. In my county alone, there is a tiny community of Dutch-German Catholics and this is one of the most staunchly Republican precincts in the county. The "town's" baseball field is littered in pro-life banners.

Osage County, Missouri is also strongly Republican and heavily of German American lineage; in fact, I think they even have some of their street signs in Germanic names. This is a part of the state that is included in the Missouri Rhineland.

Osage County wasn't swept by Republicans this year, they voted for Koster for AG.

And Osage County was one of the few non-confederate counties to vote for Kennedy and Goldwater, also mainly due to German Catholics.

So your area would be Perry County, or somewhere in the vicinity?
RBH

« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2013, 10:29:09 PM »

Isn't Gasconade County, MO the county of reference for solidly Republican German counties? It was the only county in MO (besides St. Louis iirc) to vote for Lincoln in 1860 iirc.

Yes, although Gasconade is more German Protestant than German Catholic
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies