What lead you guys... (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 04:51:57 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  What lead you guys... (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What lead you guys...  (Read 8634 times)
Tonberry
Rookie
United States

« on: June 12, 2009, 04:13:56 AM »

The idea that those can be sufficient in and of themselves is excessively solipsistic to me.  It effectively makes the maximum lifespan of the universe 120 years, less for most people.  They certainly are necessary, but not sufficient.

When you consider the subjective nature of morality, where you find value is really your own choice. These things may not be sufficient to you, but to people like me, they are. As an agnostic, I have no absolute morality to put faith in, so if I choose to find any value or purpose in my existence, I can choose what those things are. Although I am not indoctrinated by religion, I cannot deny that I am indoctrinated by my culture and my special instincts. As much as I try to break free and examine my purpose and value objectively, I inevitably fail and must commit myself to my highly simplistic moral purpose to work for the betterment of mankind or of all living things.
Tonberry
Rookie
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2009, 12:52:08 AM »

Very true. While Jesus Camp is truly terrifying, it's not a good example of American Christianity. That particular camp is way out there.
Tonberry
Rookie
United States

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2009, 07:09:25 PM »

Very true. While Jesus Camp is truly terrifying, it's not a good example of American Christianity. That particular camp is way out there.

And being supposedly physically affected by your beliefs is...normal?

I didn't say that at all. I personally find it irrational. I wouldn't call it insane, because that's harsh and it's technically possible. Besides, such claims are usually harmless.

I'm mostly concerned with indoctrination.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies