Only 41% of Americans Identify as Pro-Choice (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 06:21:11 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Only 41% of Americans Identify as Pro-Choice (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Only 41% of Americans Identify as Pro-Choice  (Read 4884 times)
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« on: May 24, 2012, 01:17:43 AM »

I was always amazed about how controversial and topical the issue of abortion is in the US. In Europe it is virtually non-existent since I remember myself.
Even here in Greece, by far the most socially conservative country in the EU, abortion was legalized back in the 70's with little resistance from the powerful Orthodox church and nobody ever mentioned it since then, much less used it as a wedge issue.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2012, 05:27:19 PM »

I was always amazed about how controversial and topical the issue of abortion is in the US. In Europe it is virtually non-existent since I remember myself.
Even here in Greece, by far the most socially conservative country in the EU, abortion was legalized back in the 70's with little resistance from the powerful Orthodox church and nobody ever mentioned it since then, much less used it as a wedge issue.

I agree with this, but in the opposite direction. (I think I've already replied a similar post of yours before.)

Like I said before, I think the 'problem' isn't that we're too conservative (on abortion or any other issue); it's that Europeans are too liberal.

Oh yes, Europeans are all so very very LIBRULE on the abortion issue.

Sure, one country out of a few dozen makes Europe (on the whole) not liberal.

I know abortion is illegal in Ireland. There are also plenty of European countries where it is not.

To be fair, TrueCon, the only reason it seems Europe as a whole is super duper pro-abortion is that they don't have a base of it's population speaking up and griping about said issue.  Actual laws and regulations wise, I would bet a Canadian Nickel the laws are more liberal here.

Culture wise is another issue.

That's exactly what I meant. There are plenty of social conservatives here too but almost none of them have made all these years abortion an issue.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies