The Grim Biology of Being Poor
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 15, 2024, 11:58:04 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  The Grim Biology of Being Poor
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Grim Biology of Being Poor  (Read 365 times)
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 04, 2019, 01:28:40 AM »
« edited: February 04, 2019, 01:32:59 AM by Jacobin American »

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2019, 03:07:18 AM »

This is literally race science.

This is exactly the type of raw data that Charles Murray and Richard Lynn would feel vindicated by.

The only difference is the policy preferences.

While Murray and Lynn would say "it's genetic so it's not possible to bridge these gaps with government programs, don't try", leftist race scientists are going "it's genetic, so the government programs will have to last forever"
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -1.24

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2019, 03:28:54 AM »

This is exactly the type of raw data that Charles Murray and Richard Lynn would feel vindicated by.

While Murray and Lynn would say "it's genetic so it's not possible to bridge these gaps with government programs, don't try", leftist race scientists are going "it's genetic, so the government programs will have to last forever"

There is no such thing as race science. I do not believe for a second that poverty is genetic, poverty is passed down but that is more so due to the environment you were raised. In so far as genetics is concerned, that is related to mental illness being more prevalent in poorer families and that being passed down.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2019, 03:43:01 AM »

This is one of the most chilling things I have ever read.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2019, 03:57:14 AM »

This is one of the most chilling things I have ever read.

Someone: "Intelligence is heritable"

The left: "That's racist. You're a horrible person and you should be unable to appear in public without fear of being physically attacked"

Someone else: "Intelligence is heritable"

The left: "that's r...."

Someone else: "and that's why Europe needs to let in migrants and why white people need to pay more in taxes to make up for their genetic privilege"

The left: "I accept your belief in the heritability of intelligence automatically based on one article and see no reason to dispute it"
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2019, 04:09:28 AM »

Did you even read what this article said? Or are you just looking for an excuse to rant?

This isn’t the same as “race science.” Based upon the research, the genetic imprint left by poverty is due to environmental factors that the child and/or their parent(s) were exposed to. The cause is, ultimately, environmental and it’s the environment affecting genetics. I’m quite curious how you could take that and conclude that it’s the same as claiming that “X race is inherently inferior/superior due to unchangeable genetics.”

If poverty is properly addressed and eliminated, then the genetic imprint of it would inevitably be erased within a generation or two. That’s what the article is saying. And, that’s accomplished through dramatic socioeconomic changes to our society (i.e. public policy).
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2019, 04:13:05 AM »

Did you even read what this article said? Or are you just looking for an excuse to rant?

This isn’t the same as “race science.” Based upon the research, the genetic imprint left by poverty is due to environmental factors that the child and/or their parent(s) were exposed to. The cause is, ultimately, environmental and it’s the environment affecting genetics. I’m quite curious how you could take that and conclude that it’s the same as claiming that “X race is inherently inferior/superior due to unchangeable genetics.”

If poverty is properly addressed and eliminated, then the genetic imprint of it would inevitably be erased within a generation or two. That’s what the article is saying. And, that’s accomplished through dramatic socioeconomic changes to our society (i.e. public policy).

I've been hearing a lot of "left HBD" arguments lately from Matthew Yglesias and others. I assume this was more of that.

Now you're telling me it's not that, it's actually Lamarckism.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2019, 01:39:54 PM »

Mortimer misses the point and goes on a racist tangent, episode number 1307.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies