Do you do find gay marriage repulsive? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 21, 2024, 11:40:30 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Do you do find gay marriage repulsive? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Do you do find the concept of gay marriage repulsive?/Do you think it should be legal?
Yes/Yes

Yes/No

No/Yes

No/No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 107

Author Topic: Do you do find gay marriage repulsive?  (Read 12089 times)
Beefalow and the Consumer
Beef
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.77, S: -8.78

« on: September 14, 2005, 12:02:23 PM »

I personally do not care what people do with one another, but I fear the wrath of God, and therefore cannot support gay marriage.
Beef
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2005, 04:39:43 PM »

Yes/No

If it was natural and meant to be men could have children with men. That can't happen, it's not natural.

Is masturbation 'unnatural'?

Do people marry their right hand?
Beef
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2005, 09:41:58 AM »

Do you think it's within the rights of one state to refuse to recognize a marriage granted in another?  That opens a huge can of worms.

I'd say that marriage recognition has such a huge impact on interstate trade (for example, consider the gay couple married and living in NJ, but one works in Philadelphia, and the other works in Wilmington, and they want to get marriage benefits in all three states) that Congress is within its rights to regulate that recognition under the Commerse Clause.
Beef
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2005, 04:48:13 PM »

The commerce clause does not authorize the regulation of "anything remotely related to commerce" (which basically means "anything at all," because everything can be said to "have an impact" on interstate commerce). It only authorizes the regulation of commerce itself: "The Congress shall have Power ... To regulate Commerce with foreign Nations, and among the several States, and with the Indian Tribes."

Marriage may be remotely related to commerce, but it is not commerce.

By current judicial interpretations of the Commerce Clause (say what you like about it, it's still established law), the Commerce Clause does indeed apply in this case.  PA's and DE's recognition of a same sex marriage granted in NJ effects pension distibutions, health insurance, estate planning, and all sorts of other commercial activity, across state lines.  The Commerce Clause has been invoked to justify federal legislation on much flimsier grounds than this, and has been so for at least 70 years.

Has Commerce (I can never remember whether it's spelled with a c or an s, but maybe that's because I read too much UKian lit) been over-extended?  I certainly think so.  But under currently settled law, Congress does have the right to regulate this.
Beef
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2005, 05:00:14 PM »

In any event, the Rehnquist Court has thankfully taken a more appropriate approach to commerce clause cases, and has struck down the most egregious examples of congressional overreaching.

You mean like they did in Ashcroft v. Raich? Smiley
Beef
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2005, 05:29:43 PM »

You'll get no argument from me.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length