Excited for the President's address to Congress? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 21, 2024, 02:56:57 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Excited for the President's address to Congress? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Are you excited for President Obama's first address to a joint session of Congress?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 32

Author Topic: Excited for the President's address to Congress?  (Read 10836 times)
WillK

« on: February 24, 2009, 10:29:51 PM »

Jindal sounds like a voice actor staring at cue cards trying to insert a Southern twang.

Of course, he's only staring a cue cards.

Yeah, speaking certainly isn't Jindal's strong point.

Train wreck.  First time I have seen him speak.  I really expected much more.
WillK

« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2009, 12:02:16 AM »

Definitely, but I'm sure you can agree that after 8 years of Republican dominance the Republican response being catered directly at railing against the recent failures of government was an unusual strategy to say the least.

Jindal made it very, very clear that Republicans fell away from what we believe and it made us susceptible to corruption. I don't see what is wrong with that.

I see two things wrong with it:

- No reason is given to believe that the future outcome of returning Republicans to power would be any different.  So the message seems to be 'we were weak and screwed up' but vote for us again.

- Some of us are skeptical that Republicans really fell away from a believe system.  Instead it appears that Republican ideology is grounded in a view that government is bad, thus when in power they live that view and govern poorly.
WillK

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2009, 08:18:30 AM »

- Some of us are skeptical that Republicans really fell away from a believe system.  Instead it appears that Republican ideology is grounded in a view that government is bad, thus when in power they live that view and govern poorly.

I don't really understand what you're saying here.  How did they live the view that "government is bad" when they, in fact, expanded government?

And I dont understand what you are saying. 
How are a view that "government is bad" and using power to expand government incompatible?
WillK

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2009, 03:58:43 PM »

I don't really understand what you're saying here.  How did they live the view that "government is bad" when they, in fact, expanded government?

And I dont understand what you are saying. 
How are a view that "government is bad" and using power to expand government incompatible?

Because why would you want to expand something that you inherently view as "bad"?  I think I'm missing something here. 

I'm not explaining it well.   

In some motivational coaching there is an emphasis on using positive visualization techniques.  The  idea being that if you mentally focus on the successful outcome, you will find the path to success [http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1365/is_4_33/ai_93307102]

I'm suggesting that visualization may work in a negative fashion too: if your mental model is that power always corrupts and bureaucracies are inherently inept, how will you perform when the power and administration are in your hands? 
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies