Blue-Collar Jobs Making a Come-Back
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 11:14:54 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Blue-Collar Jobs Making a Come-Back
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Blue-Collar Jobs Making a Come-Back  (Read 1574 times)
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 14, 2006, 07:45:13 PM »

Factory Shift: Manufacturers Struggle to Fill Highly Paid Jobs

By Molly Hennessy-Fiske, Times Staff Writer
August 14, 2006

WASHINGTON — Daniel McGee's parents were apprehensive when their son turned his back on the four-year college degree they always assumed he would earn. They figured a bachelor's degree was the key to success in the modern economy, and their son was on track to earn one, with athletic honors, a 3.0 grade point average at his Minnesota high school and scholarships in hand.

But as McGee saw it, his future lay in the old-world industry of metalworking. And to succeed, he would have to do something that would shock many parents: turn down the scholarships and study machine-tool technology at a two-year technical college.

McGee, 21, realized what many American workers are missing: Manufacturing, long known for plant closings and layoffs, is now clamoring for workers to fill high-paying, skilled jobs. While millions of manufacturing jobs have been outsourced or automated out of existence during the past decade, many of the remaining jobs require higher skills and pay well — $50,000 to $80,000 a year for workers with the necessary math, computer and mechanical abilities.

Some manufacturers are so desperate for workers who can program, run or repair the computers and robots that now dominate the factory floor that they are offering recruitment bonuses, relocation packages and other incentives more common to white-collar jobs.

In Ohio, American Micro Products Inc., an electrical parts maker, is offering $1,000 bonuses to workers who recruit technicians, and it is covering moving costs for the new employees. In San Antonio, Toyota cannot find enough qualified applicants for skilled positions at its new plant, even after the state sponsored a training program. In Fontana, California Steel Industries Inc. found it so hard to fill five mechanical and technical positions, some paying $28 an hour, that managers started paying employees to train for the unfilled jobs.

About 90% of manufacturers say they are having trouble filling skilled jobs such as machinists and technicians, according to a survey released in December by the National Assn. of Manufacturers, the leading industry group representing 12,000 manufacturers.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2006, 08:51:32 PM »

This is a positive development.

Not everybody is cut out for academic pursuits, and an economy that has room only for academic pursuits will leave a lot of people behind.

I hope the demand for blue collar workers continues to grow.  There's nothing wrong with working with one's hands rather than brain.  I always have a healthy respect for people who can do the things that I cannot do.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2006, 09:02:40 PM »

This is a positive development.

Not everybody is cut out for academic pursuits, and an economy that has room only for academic pursuits will leave a lot of people behind.

Yes, namely those who cannot afford these 'academic pursuits' (in other words class signifiers).

You must be logged in to read this quote.

And you call me an elitist.  Obviously these people work with their 'brain' just as much as you, dazzleman. 
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.25, S: -2.72

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2006, 09:16:03 PM »

It would be awesome if blue collar jobs made a comeback, but I don't really see any evidence of that. Do we have any statistics to back up this article's claim?

As far as I know, they continue to decline every year.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2006, 09:38:50 PM »

It would be awesome if blue collar jobs made a comeback, but I don't really see any evidence of that. Do we have any statistics to back up this article's claim?

As far as I know, they continue to decline every year.

If we had a reasonable political compromise, all the jobs that a majority of americans do, such as working at WalMart or in a restaurant, would be considered 'blue collar' and subject to unionization and livable wage rates:  say $15/hour to start, and in the $30/hour range by the time persons were in their 'head-of-household' childbearing years.

The fact that workers are so easily convinced that a chap in a factory is 'worth' more than a chap in a big-box store shows a complete misunderstanding of economics.  Wage rates are determined politically, not by some 'invisible hand'.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2006, 12:50:44 PM »

Yeah, start paying waitresses 15$/hour, we really don't want to be able to afford to go to restaurants.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2006, 12:59:22 PM »

A lot of people who've lost manufacturing jobs seem to have moved into the construction sector, btw. A very similer thing happend over here with old mining areas.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2006, 01:17:37 PM »

A lot of people who've lost manufacturing jobs seem to have moved into the construction sector, btw. A very similer thing happend over here with old mining areas.

Very true. And believe me their is no limit or end to construction business around these parts, especially when it comes to roofing.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2006, 01:27:31 PM »

Very true. And believe me their is no limit or end to construction business around these parts, especially when it comes to roofing.

hahaha . . . that's an annual business for you guys down there.  Smiley
David S
Junior Chimp

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2006, 07:20:59 PM »

Many years ago, as an young engineer,  I worked at Ford. One day they held a huge meeting. They told us that they just couldn't find enough engineers to do all the work they had, so they had us fill out survey forms which asked questions like; "what percentage of your job could be done by someone without a degree?" They really convinced everyone that they had a huge long term need for engineers. Six months later they laid off about 30% of the people in our division.

Anyways I wouldn't get too excited about this story.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2006, 10:25:08 PM »

Natural disasters and their beneficial Keyensian effects aside, most construction jobs are based upon a bubble created by exceedingly poor State economic policy.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2006, 11:34:25 PM »

Natural disasters and their beneficial Keyensian effects aside, most construction jobs are based upon a bubble created by exceedingly poor State economic policy.

Yeah, our terrible economy with 3% unemployment, it's just terrible in Florida.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies