Pennsylvania 2014 Discussion Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 15, 2024, 09:08:34 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Pennsylvania 2014 Discussion Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 35 36 37 [38] 39 40 41 42 43
Author Topic: Pennsylvania 2014 Discussion Thread  (Read 86442 times)
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #925 on: September 23, 2014, 10:59:31 AM »

Why would have a debate during the season premieres of Big Bang Theory, The Voice, and Fox's new hit show Gotham?

People who watch BBT should not be allowed to vote.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #926 on: September 23, 2014, 04:41:28 PM »

Watched most of it.  (The plug-in script crashed about 40 minutes in >[ )

Both candidates appeared to have good judgment and Corbett was more specific, especially when challenging Wolf's taxing and spending plans.  Taxes came up 14 minutes in and stayed for the remainder.  The moderator seemed to be keen on holding both of them over the flame.  

I have to agree with IceSpear's observation of crickets for Wolf, applause for Corbett's farts.  Wolf understood the venue and made light of it:  "I suppose that wasn't applause for me; that was applause for the question."  I also agree with Phil that Corbett seemed stronger, or at least more in command of facts (and slightly less evasive) than Wolf.

If the debates count, then Wolf might want to study up a little before the next one.

Yes, Corbett was in front a more favorable crowd and got more applause. No doubt. But Wolf didn't exactly get cricket chirps throughout the debate. He had a few points that were well received. I do think the moderator was more favorable to one candidate though. Wink But that's kind of expected. They want to make a name for themselves and tearing into Corbett doesn't do that; bringing down Wolf would.

By the way, Tom Brokaw was the speaker at the dinner last night. Kind of surprised he didn't moderate. I guess he turned it down. Ted Koppel was a moderator during either the 2006 or 2010 debate there.
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #927 on: September 30, 2014, 02:30:00 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/andrewkaczynski/pa-government-ip-address-removed-unflattering-info?utm_term=4ldqpia&bftw=pol#1mbhroh
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #928 on: September 30, 2014, 04:09:42 PM »

Really good article at Daily Kos looking at how competitive the senate and assembly are this year: http://www.dailykos.com/story/2014/09/16/1329906/-Can-Democrats-flip-the-Pennsylvania-Senate-A-look-at-the-2014-playing-field-with-maps-and-new-data
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #929 on: September 30, 2014, 04:33:12 PM »

Second debate is tomorrow in Philly. Corbett released a new ad today: http://www.politicspa.com/pa-gov-corbett-releases-sarcastic-new-ad-hitting-wolf-on-taxes-video/60741/
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #930 on: October 03, 2014, 03:56:55 PM »

If anyone wants to watch the second debate you can here:

http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/video/10643254-breakfast-with-the-candidates-debate-part-1/
http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/video/10643271-breakfast-with-the-candidates-debate-part-2/

It was a pretty good debate, definitely better than the first one which was kind of a snoozefest. Both candidates had their moments and got their zingers in.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #931 on: October 05, 2014, 01:06:46 PM »

If anyone wants to watch the second debate you can here:

http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/video/10643254-breakfast-with-the-candidates-debate-part-1/
http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/video/10643271-breakfast-with-the-candidates-debate-part-2/

It was a pretty good debate, definitely better than the first one which was kind of a snoozefest. Both candidates had their moments and got their zingers in.

Wolf had a better performance than in the first debate, but Corbett still won.
henster
Junior Chimp

« Reply #932 on: October 05, 2014, 09:38:03 PM »

Too bad for Corbett that nobody watches these things.
Attorney General & PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #933 on: October 05, 2014, 10:42:28 PM »

Too bad for Corbett that everyone made up their mind before debates begin.
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #934 on: October 06, 2014, 10:23:12 AM »

The debates are just a chance for Wolf to get known a bit, and no, I don't think anyone is particularly going to be influenced by them. Seeing Corbett is enough to remind most how awful he has been across the board. The only thing Corbett can possibly say is, "He'll raise taxes!" - never mind that Corbett raised the gas tax - and that line won't work, to say the least, this time.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #935 on: October 08, 2014, 04:25:56 PM »

Final debate tonight. Corbett is obviously going to go hard in this one.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #936 on: October 08, 2014, 04:27:40 PM »

Final debate tonight. Corbett is obviously going to go hard in this one.

Unfortunately it won't help him that much.
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #937 on: October 08, 2014, 06:14:00 PM »

Corbett is looking pretty good in the debate.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #938 on: October 08, 2014, 10:01:30 PM »

I didn't watch but if even Vega is saying he looked good...
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #939 on: October 09, 2014, 03:50:30 PM »

I didn't watch but if even Vega is saying he looked good...

Yeah, he did look good. Wolf was pretty nervous throughout the debate, and Corbett was hammering him hard.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #940 on: October 09, 2014, 04:42:02 PM »

When Wolf was pressed for his exact tax plan and how he would compensate for all the new spending he wanted to do, it wasn't pretty. Still, too late, doesn't matter.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #941 on: October 09, 2014, 06:15:29 PM »

When Wolf was pressed for his exact tax plan and how he would compensate for all the new spending he wanted to do, it wasn't pretty. Still, too late, doesn't matter.

It's fact that Wolf doesn't have a plan. There isn't even a debate on that point. Wolf literally answers, "I don't know" and "I don't have a crystal ball" when asked specific questions on how much he wants to spend on education and where he's going to get the revenue.

The guy has gotten away with everything this entire campaign by being Mr. Nice Guy.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #942 on: October 09, 2014, 06:28:05 PM »

It's fact that Wolf doesn't have a plan. There isn't even a debate on that point. Wolf literally answers, "I don't know" and "I don't have a crystal ball" when asked specific questions on how much he wants to spend on education and where he's going to get the revenue.

Hey, sounds to me like he is following Christie's 2009 strategy against Corzine.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #943 on: October 09, 2014, 07:34:08 PM »

The guy has gotten away with everything this entire campaign by being Mr. Nice Guy.

Well, he's pretty much gotten away with everything because the incumbent has a 30% approval rating. People with those kind of ratings can only get re-elected in deeply partisan states (and even then it isn't certain). This race was always going to be about Corbett, and I was saying that even back in January when everyone was telling me Corbett would be able to make it a referendum on Schwartz as opposed to himself.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #944 on: October 09, 2014, 08:19:42 PM »

Well, he's pretty much gotten away with everything because the incumbent has a 30% approval rating. People with those kind of ratings can only get re-elected in deeply partisan states (and even then it isn't certain). This race was always going to be about Corbett, and I was saying that even back in January when everyone was telling me Corbett would be able to make it a referendum on Schwartz as opposed to himself.

Giving someone a pass because the incumbent isn't liked: sounds like a great way to get yourself another Governor that will have poor approval ratings.

I'm not saying I don't understand why he's getting a pass. Of course it was going to be a referendum on the incumbent (but I do believe if someone like Schwartz was the nominee, it would be a little different. Wolf isn't a polarizing type like Schwartz or McCord. Again, the likability is key here). But this total pass he's received is surprising and irresponsible.
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #945 on: October 09, 2014, 08:43:35 PM »

If there was a bag that you knew had nothing but bad things, and another bag, that you don't know anything about, but might be better, which would you pick?

Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #946 on: October 09, 2014, 10:03:27 PM »

If there was a bag that you knew had nothing but bad things, and another bag, that you don't know anything about, but might be better, which would you pick?

Sounds like a brilliant closing ad script for the Wolfpack! Wink
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #947 on: October 09, 2014, 10:26:45 PM »
« Edited: October 09, 2014, 10:29:14 PM by All In For KC »

The other bag could be much worse, too. Given that I'm not a risky person, I'm pretty certain I would personally go with the bag I knew was bad (similar thing going on in Kansas).
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #948 on: October 09, 2014, 10:28:38 PM »

Yeah and in a state that is cautious/mostly Pro Incumbent, I don't think Wolf is going to suddenly embrace a "Take a chance on me" message.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #949 on: October 09, 2014, 11:20:13 PM »

The other bag could be much worse, too.

When it comes to Corbett, I wouldn't be so sure about that. Tongue I mean, I guess he isn't a criminal like Florida's governor who shall not be named, but that's not saying very much.

The dynamics of this race are pretty fascinating. Politicians frequently use the risk averse, "above the fray" strategy that Wolf is currently using. But usually the ones using it are incumbents that are ahead by huge margins against a challenger nobody cares about. This time it's a challenger ahead of the incumbent by huge margins who people very much care about (for better or for worse, usually worse).
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 35 36 37 [38] 39 40 41 42 43  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies