Palestinian right of return (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 04:36:13 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Palestinian right of return (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Palestinian right of return  (Read 2185 times)
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« on: July 26, 2015, 12:07:09 PM »
« edited: July 26, 2015, 12:10:59 PM by DavidB. »

Will Jews from the Middle East (and from European countries) who had to flee their country get any monetary compensation as well, or is it only Jews who need to pay?

It is ridiculous that someone who has a grandparent originally from the land of Israel is considered a "Palestinian refugee", who should (according to many) be allowed to live there, while my grandfather fled "his" country in the same era, which doesn't give me any rights, let alone a "refugee status". To be clear, I don't need any refugee rights, monetary compensation, or a refugee status, because that would be pretty bizarre - I'm fine now. But that should be the same with the children of the Arab refugees from Israel, and their new countries should be held responsible if that's not the case.

Nobody would ever argue that Iraq, Yemen, Morocco, or Tunisia need to offer compensation (or citizenship) to the children of the Jews who fled these countries. Let's not apply different standards to Israel.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2015, 01:23:34 PM »

Both Lebanon and Jordan are countries with a delicate ethnic balance and small populations. Jordan is majority Palestinian no matter what, so giving citizenship to the last 400 000 may be reasonable, although obviously not something the Bedouin descendants would like. Lebanon is a different story. It will make it even harder for the country to function if you give citizen rights to the Palestinians. Resettlement would be preferable - the question is of course where.

You also set a dangerous precedent if countries that take in refugees are forced to make them citizens later on. If accepted as the norm that will increase the number of countries that simply refuse to take any refugees in the first place.
How about in Palestine?

Dunno, the place is pretty packed as it is Wink
I mean people are calling for all 7 million to move to Israel so I think 1-2 million moving to Palestine is reasonable.
Excellent idea. That will make the area a lot more stable...
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2015, 03:19:09 AM »

Both Lebanon and Jordan are countries with a delicate ethnic balance and small populations. Jordan is majority Palestinian no matter what, so giving citizenship to the last 400 000 may be reasonable, although obviously not something the Bedouin descendants would like. Lebanon is a different story. It will make it even harder for the country to function if you give citizen rights to the Palestinians. Resettlement would be preferable - the question is of course where.

You also set a dangerous precedent if countries that take in refugees are forced to make them citizens later on. If accepted as the norm that will increase the number of countries that simply refuse to take any refugees in the first place.
How about in Palestine?

Dunno, the place is pretty packed as it is Wink
I mean people are calling for all 7 million to move to Israel so I think 1-2 million moving to Palestine is reasonable.
Excellent idea. That will make the area a lot more stable...
Keep in mind I never supported the return of 7 million to Israel proper.
You stated that pretty clearly and I can read. Still, allowing 1-2 million more people - mostly poor and uneducated - to immigrate in a "country" that has really high unemployment, an extremely young population, and an unstable political situation (which would be the case even after some "peace treaty" would have been passed) wouldn't be the smartest move to preserve a precarious peace.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies