Religious Parents kill daughter
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 27, 2024, 06:39:13 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Religious Parents kill daughter
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Religious Parents kill daughter  (Read 1640 times)
opebo
Atlas Legend

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 28, 2008, 02:41:17 AM »

Parents pick prayer over docs; girl dies
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2008, 03:05:15 AM »
« Edited: March 28, 2008, 03:10:58 AM by Alcon »

From what I can tell, the parents underestimated the seriousness of the case.  It doesn't sound like they had objections to hospitalization - they just didn't think it was needed.  Doesn't sound criminal to me.  I had a friend who came down with flu symptoms, and his parents didn't bring him to the hospital.  Hours later, he was airlifted and died in transit of complications from pneumonia.  Things happen.  Their praying during the event seems immaterial to me.  The question is whether they knew there was imminent harm.

I learned today: 30 states allow parents to not get their children treatment for religious reasons.  Thirty.  A majority!
Aizen
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -9.22

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2008, 03:08:46 AM »

Just another nail in Christianity's coffin
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2008, 03:11:31 AM »

Given the condition of a majority of americans nowadays, they probably a) hadn't enough education to understand illness, and b) in any case had no money at all to access medical services.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2008, 06:47:44 AM »

From what I can tell, the parents underestimated the seriousness of the case.  It doesn't sound like they had objections to hospitalization - they just didn't think it was needed.  Doesn't sound criminal to me.  I had a friend who came down with flu symptoms, and his parents didn't bring him to the hospital.  Hours later, he was airlifted and died in transit of complications from pneumonia.  Things happen.  Their praying during the event seems immaterial to me.  The question is whether they knew there was imminent harm.

I learned today: 30 states allow parents to not get their children treatment for religious reasons.  Thirty.  A majority!

What exactly do these laws state though? Because there may be special forms of treatments that one could object to.
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2008, 10:36:03 AM »

We went through this in Indiana in the 1970's and 80's

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hobart_Freeman

And some of this nut-case's successors are still at it. 
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2008, 09:09:11 PM »

Cults seem like fun to me... ah, the joy of sects.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2008, 11:04:22 PM »

As a rule, I don't object when the person is of age.
exopolitician
MATCHU[D]
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2008, 01:28:17 AM »

Your joking right? Diabetes can be maintained and controlled fairly easily...even if its a serious case it can be controlled by doctors and brought down to reasonable levels. I almost feel kinda offended really since I have diabetes and I control it daily and regularly go see a doctor for checkups and examinations. I guess I would understand more if they were able to do anything about, like they werent financially established to handle it or couldnt afford healthcare but as far as I know thats not the case. Im not writing this to bash any religion or anyone's religious beliefs...I just feel knowing what they were going through its something you just cant pray and wish away.They could have done something to save this girls life...It really dissapoints me Sad
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies