We Go High
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 20, 2024, 09:17:29 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  We Go High
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: We Go High  (Read 923 times)
Brewer
BrewerPaul

Political Matrix
E: -6.90, S: -6.17

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 04, 2018, 07:48:38 PM »

"We're going live now to Jacob Soboroff, who is on the ground in Burlington, Vermont, amidst what appears to be an enormously enthusiastic crowd!" *loud cheers heard in the background*

"Yes, thank you Rachel, you are absolutely right -- I'm looking around at hundreds, thousands of ecstatic supporters of Senator Bernie Sanders as he arrives here in Burlington to announce his second campaign for the Presidency of the Unite-"

*click*

*sigh*

"Bernie Sanders," whispered a man seated across from the television set. "Really." He shook his head disapprovingly.

"They really love him, his fans," retorted the woman next to him. "I don't want to say it's a...you know..."

"A personality cult?"

The two laughed. "Pretty much," she giggled.

Turning his head, the man held his wife's hand and stared intently at her. "You have to do it," he asserted. "We both know it."

The woman's grin disappeared. "Are you kidding me?" she snapped. "Where is this coming from? I thought we had agreed that that was one hundred percent off the table!"

"Honey, look at the field. It's pathetic. SNL ran a skit last night about how Democrats are going to choke just like we did in 2016. I mean, our frontrunner is Bernie fu-"

"Hey!"

The man paused, before continuing in a serious tone. "There is too much at stake. Everything we have worked so hard for, everything we have committed our lives to is at stake. I've been thinking about all of this lately, staying up at night. I can hardly sleep. Our legacy is on the line." He leaned toward her. "You," he insisted, pointing his finger toward her, "are the one."

The woman grimaced. As she attempted to form a reply to her husband's outburst, she was saved by the sound of the front door opening. In walked a teenage girl carrying a backpack, lifting her head up from her phone to greet her parents. Behind her stood two stone-faced Secret Service agents.

"Mom, why do you look so angry?" inquired the girl.

The man interjected: "Let's take a vote, everyone. Raise your hand if you believe my wife should run for President." He raised his hand.

The daughter's jaw dropped, her hands at her sides. After an uncomfortably long period of silence, the two Secret Service agents raised their hands.

The man laughed. "Well, that's a majority!"

His wife sat back in her seat, confounded. She knew she didn't want to run. But should she?

-----------------------------------------------------------

Chicago, Illinois -- September 6, 2019

"...and that is why, today, surrounded by so many powerful and passionate and beautiful Americans, I am announcing my campaign for the Presidency of the United States!"
Brewer
BrewerPaul

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2018, 09:09:20 PM »
« Edited: December 06, 2018, 04:22:11 PM by Brewer »

((Note: Do not let the theme fool you. This election is very much up in the air. Wink))

"Political observers and the American public at large were shocked Friday morning when Michelle Obama, the former First Lady of the United States, announced that she would be running for the office from which her husband departed just over a decade ago. Calling on Americans of 'all colors, all creeds, all walks of life and views of the world' to 'come together in pursuit of one common destiny,' Mrs. Obama joined a crowded field of Democrats hoping to defeat President Trump in 2020. Her entrance caused at least three members of her party -- Senators Kamala Harris and Cory Booker, and former Governor Terry McAuliffe -- to end their own campaigns." - The Wasington Post, 9/9/19

National Democratic Primary Polling Average
M. Obama - 39%
Sanders - 22%
Warren - 12%
Gillibrand - 5%
Klobuchar - 4%
Garcetti - 2%
Bullock - 2%
Hickenlooper - 1%
Swalwell - 1%
Undecided - 12%

Iowa Democratic Primary Polling Average
M. Obama - 36%
Sanders - 21%
Warren - 9%
Klobuchar - 7%
Gillibrand - 6%
Hickenlooper - 4%
Bullock - 2%
Garcetti - 2%
Swalwell - 0%
Undecided - 16%

New Hampshire Democratic Primary Polling Average
M. Obama - 31%
Sanders - 25%
Warren - 10%
Gillibrand - 6%
Klobuchar - 4%
Hickenlooper - 2%
Swalwell - 2%
Garcetti - 1%
Bullock - 1%
Undecided - 18%

National Republican Primary Polling Average
Trump - 70%
Kasich - 19%
Undecided - 10%

Iowa Republican Primary Polling
Trump - 73%
Kasich - 13%
Undecided - 10%

New Hampshire Republican Primary Polling

Trump - 65%
Kasich - 24%
Undecided - 11%
Brewer
BrewerPaul

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2018, 06:00:18 PM »
« Edited: December 06, 2018, 06:01:01 PM by Brewer »

"Obviously the former First Lady received a great deal of support after announcing her campaign. But there were plenty of progressives, myself included, who believed that it was time for change, for a new generation of ideas to assume the mantle of leadership in the Democratic Party." - Senator Tulsi Gabbard, Finding Aloha: Our Struggle for a Politics of Love (2027)

------------------------------------

Bernie Sanders paced frantically around the inside of his Senate office. Seated on a small couch adjacent to the door were campaign manager Jeff Weaver and former State Senator Nina Turner. On the other side of the door sat Ari Rabin-Havt and Arianna Jones, staffers.

"So what's the message?" barked Sanders.

"We welcome Mrs. Obama into the race and look forward to a positive campaign on making America work for the people," recited Jones.

"Yeah, I get that, but long-term -- she's Michelle Obama," replied the Senator. "Should I touch on her experience? Is that alright? We've got to remember who we're dealing with here."

"Of course you should," chimed in Weaver. "America loved Hillary after she stopped running for President and only stopped loving her when she ran again. People are only popular until they're really under the spotlight. Once people start thinking with their heads rather than their hearts, they'll realize how silly it is. And you can win them over."

Bernie grunted in approval. "We want their hearts, too, Jeff."

"Of course, Senator."

"Michelle is the hashtag-Resistance candidate," Nina Turner remarked. "We need to focus on winning back the progressives who started swooning over her and make sure we keep Warren at bay. That's our path."

Sanders paused in his step. "I feel good," he said. "I do. I still do."

The room nodded in agreement.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

The Obamas' First Post-Michelle-Announcement Interview Was A-DORBZ!
Lindsey Kempfert, Buzzfeed
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2018, 09:03:27 PM »

Having a typo makes his tweet more realistic lol.
Brewer
BrewerPaul

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2018, 11:19:40 PM »
« Edited: December 06, 2018, 04:33:12 PM by Brewer »

The First 2020 Democratic Primary Debate: A Recap
Jonathan Capehart
Des Moines, IA - September 29, 2019

Over a thousand people gathered in Drake University's Sheslow Auditorium on Saturday to witness the first debate among all nine major Democratic candidates for President, now that former First Lady Michelle Obama has unexpectedly entered the ring. The candidates were introduced by order of national polling numbers: Obama, Sanders, Warren, Gillibrand, Klobuchar, Garcetti, Hickenlooper, Bullock, Swalwell.

Here are the three best and worst performances from last night's debate.

THE WORST

3. Senator Elizabeth Warren (D-MA)
Senator Warren has been dogged by criticisms of her political instincts since her infamous response to President Trump's disparaging nickname, "Pocahontas." Last night's debate did nothing to dispel them. Senator Warren fumbled several softball questions on simple topics - for instance, why does she want to be President? Her answer left millions of Democrats confounded. Warren's lagging poll numbers and fundraising have been disappointing to her supporters, and her political future depends on whether or not she will be capable of bouncing back.

2. Former First Lady Michelle Obama (D-IL)
Unfortunately for Mrs. Obama, this was not the performance she needed to start off her campaign. While she appeared tremendously knowledgeable of the issues being discussed, several of my colleagues and I agreed that many of her answers lacked a certain enthusiasm. Her responses to questions on college affordability and criminal justice reform -- topics that Obama has spoken freely and articulately on before -- sounded more like Monday morning lectures than the "inspirational vision" she aspired for in her announcement speech. One of my colleagues mentioned potential similarities to Obama's husband's performance in the first general election debate of 2012.

1. Former Governor John Hickenlooper (D-CO)
Throughout last night's debate, Governor Hickenlooper continued to do what he has done throughout this entire campaign: leave everyone scratching their heads. His calls for "fiscal sanity," "private sector innovation," and "a politics of handshakes" would have been red meat at a No Labels conference, but they fell on deaf ears at this gathering of liberals. He received scattered applause for his general criticisms of the cynical and toxic nature of our politics, but, I mean, anyone can do that.

THE BEST

3. Senator Bernie Sanders (I-VT)
Senator Sanders articulated passionately for his key legislative priorities, foremost of which were Medicare-for-All, free public college, and a Green New Deal. His answers delighted his supporters and his wild gesticulations on the debate stage triggered great nostalgia among many I spoke to for the hopefulness of his first campaign for this office. This debate should provide a decent boost for Sanders as we head into the next gear of the race for the White House.

2. Mayor Eric Garcetti (D-CA)
Having served as the chief executive of the second-largest city in the country, Eric Garcetti effectively made his case last night to Democrats as to why his experience leading the diverse and growing city of Los Angeles would suit him well in the White House. His impassioned response to a question on immigration reform and asylum seekers led to a standing applause from the crowd. While he has lagged behind significantly in the polls, this debate could hardly be considered anything but good news for Mayor Garcetti.

1. Senator Amy Klobuchar (DFL-MN)
Senator Klobuchar has been lauded in the past for her success in working across the aisle in order to pass legislation and cultivate relationships on Capitol Hill, leading many to attribute it to her being "Minnesota Nice." The Senator put this quality on full display in Des Moines last night, speaking compassionately but firmly on a variety of issues and impressing many progressives who previously had concerns with her charisma. She was trending #1 on Twitter immediately after the debate, but only time will tell if this swell of support will translate into support on the ground.
Brewer
BrewerPaul

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2018, 11:20:24 PM »

Having a typo makes his tweet more realistic lol.

Fair enough, haha.
Brewer
BrewerPaul

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2018, 04:57:46 PM »

"With a strong showing in the first primary debate and a remarkable ground game in the state of Iowa, Amy Klobuchar, of neighboring Minnesota, has seen her poll numbers rise in this battleground territory. Overall, however, the former First Lady continues to hold a lead over her primary opponents, though it has been whittled down significantly as the initial shock of her announcement has dissipated and some pundits and activists on the left have, upon closer examination, gradually become more skeptical of Mrs. Obama's qualifications for the Presidency." - The New York Times, 10/4/19

National Democratic Primary Polling Average
M. Obama - 33%
Sanders - 24%
Warren - 10%
Klobuchar - 5%
Gillibrand - 4%
Garcetti - 3%
Bullock - 1%
Swalwell - 1%
Hickenlooper - 0%
Undecided - 19%

Iowa Democratic Primary Polling Average