Where in the world are you? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 03, 2024, 03:57:48 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Where in the world are you? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: 365 day poll
USA includes territories

Canada

Mexico

Panama

other North America country

South America

Africa

Antarctica

The Artic region

Australia

Europe

A boat or ship, not in any country

An island

Asia or Japan

other answer

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 98

Author Topic: Where in the world are you?  (Read 1056 times)
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« on: October 18, 2020, 06:22:50 AM »

Also, I have always been impressed by how well those in countries where English is not a primary language can speak English.

Am I correct in thinking that mainland Europeans are much more likely to speak English than those in other parts of the world?

Yes and no. Keep in mind that for obvious reasons people on Atlas will speak English pretty well.

Also I think it depends on which part of the world you think of. I am pretty sure that India or parts of Africa have an English fluency that is on par or even slightly better than the average European, although I am never quite sure if English there is a lingua franca, a second language or a first language.

Similarly it also depends on which part of Europe you look at. The Netherlands has an insane English fluency rate, basically everyone can speak it reasonably well there. Meanwhile much of Eastern or Southern Europe has much poorer English literacy rates.

This is self-reported data but it should give a rough idea of English fluency in Europe (even if it is likely to be overestimating slightly):

Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2020, 07:34:17 AM »

Also, I have always been impressed by how well those in countries where English is not a primary language can speak English.

English was mandatory in most private schools where I lived. Granted, that doesn't mean you'll end up being fluent in English (in fact some of my friends sucked at it so much they can barely understand the word "Hello") but if you put a little effort into it you could become pretty decent at it.

I think that public school proficiency in Spanish schools is probably worse than that of the private ones.

"In theory" students are meant to leave high school with an A2 level of English, and if you go and finish a university degree, you need to have a B1 level of English.

Then again:

1) A2 and B1 aren't exactly great levels of English, especially A2. B1 is a lot better though, but I think you don't get fluent until B2? (which is very good English and perfectly acceptable for most purposes)
2) For at least the college degree part, most of the time there is an "english" class that allows you to skip said requirement and is ridiculously easy.
3) If you do not practice a language regularly, you will eventually forget much of it. I know this first hand as it has happened with my German (which I used to speak a lot better back in the day). And the only reason this has not happened with my English may ironically be Atlas and other such forums Tongue

That also doesn't mean that all or even most public school students do not speak English; many actually do speak English fairly well; but there is also plenty of young people who do not speak English very well.

English-speaking parts of the internet with non-native parts tend to be an extremely unrepresentative sample of said countries.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2020, 01:29:07 PM »

In the USA now, as I finally escaped from Tender's basement.

thanks,
Dave

Sidenote, but where did the Tender basement jokes come from? This is the second time today I find one.

I know there was a high profile kidnapping case in Austria several years back but still? Is it literally just the fact that said case existed?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies