Policing the Police Act of 2014 (Redraft passed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 01:21:21 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Policing the Police Act of 2014 (Redraft passed)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 18
Author Topic: Policing the Police Act of 2014 (Redraft passed)  (Read 18533 times)
TNF
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #150 on: April 02, 2015, 08:17:16 AM »

Nix's first paragraph is indeed my reasoning.

At any rate, I'm going to have to object to the amendment. What's the point in having badge cameras if the footage they record is not accessible to the public?
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #151 on: April 02, 2015, 10:53:24 AM »

My guess is that TNF will tell you that the point of Clause 3 is that officers should be representative of the areas where they work. They should have a stake in the community beyond their professional role and real, ongoing relationships with its members. I agree, and it's one of the few lines in this bill that I support. Many cities in the United States already require this, including the one that I live in now.

The trouble with this rule, as written, is that the unit across which the rule is enforced must be both clearly demarcated and large enough that police agencies can find qualified candidates. "Community" is both a vague term and frequently small enough that police agencies would have trouble recruiting new officers. The only way to make this work, I think, would be to require that agencies recruit from within their area of jurisdiction, whatever that happens to be (city, county, etc.).

Obviously there would not be a problem with bigger cities, I can see huge problems arising with small rural "communities", be they even counties - Loving County strikes me as the perfect example here. Still, if you all can come up with a solution to this, I see no reason to further oppose this clause.

Regarding Senator TNF's comments, I would not see that there is no public accessibility - a warrant is not that hard to get, if there is indeed a questionable situation, which I guess these cameras are intended for, to clear up any "mess", in lack of better words, that could arise between police officer or civilian. Otherwise however, this serves to protect both officers and civilians; I guess the discussion on the Civil Rights and Police Militarization Act last year came to the same or at least a similar solution as would be presented in my amendment.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #152 on: April 02, 2015, 07:33:31 PM »

Talleyrand's amendment:
Aye: Cris, Polnut, Windjammer, TNF, Talleyrand, Cranberry, Blair
Nay: Lief
Non voting: SWE, Hagrid

Talleyrand's amendment has been adopted.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #153 on: April 02, 2015, 07:35:26 PM »

Senators, a vote is now open on Cranberry's amendment.
Please, vote AYE, NAY or Abstain.

Quote from: Restricted
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #154 on: April 02, 2015, 09:56:09 PM »

I support this amendment, but will be providing an amendment once this one passes.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #155 on: April 03, 2015, 04:01:27 AM »

Voting Nay on the amendment,

gives too much power to police forces in controlling camera footage, and removes limits on police officers having offensive views
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #156 on: April 03, 2015, 04:57:15 AM »

Aye

It gives the power you mention to judges, not to police officers; so I don't really see your point in here.
Secondly, as I said, I very much appreciate the sentiment of this clause regarding officers with offensive views, but it is simply unconstitutional, violating the right of free expression and free association and I don't know what all.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #157 on: April 03, 2015, 08:17:12 AM »

AYE
Talleyrand
YaBB God

« Reply #158 on: April 03, 2015, 10:07:22 AM »

NAY
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #159 on: April 03, 2015, 10:35:45 AM »

Nay
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #160 on: April 03, 2015, 11:12:06 AM »

Nay

I continue to be disturbed by what some of my dear colleagues think the police should be able to get away with.
Senator Cris
Cris
Junior Chimp
Italy

« Reply #161 on: April 03, 2015, 12:09:10 PM »

Aye
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #162 on: April 03, 2015, 01:36:03 PM »

Aye

More thoughts to come when I'm back on my computer.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #163 on: April 03, 2015, 10:15:48 PM »

Cranberry, could you explain me why it would be unconstitutionnal?

I mean, the gays were forbidden to join the army and it never was a constitutional problem before. So I do not understand why forbidding nazis to join the police would be unconstitutionnal.
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #164 on: April 04, 2015, 07:45:22 AM »

I would think explicitly prohibiting gay people from joining the army is unconstitutional all the same, but that's not the point here, is it?

Article VI, Section 1 of our constitution says:
Important for us here is "freedom of assembly". Every Atlasian now has the right to assemble with others, form groups, clubs, whatever. This thus also protects groups of, let's name it, dubious ideology, like those mentioned in the bill. Now, if any given policeman were member of such a group, if he had taken his constitutional right for a freedom of assembly, he would once this bill is passed be fired immediately, because of membership in such a group. That is simply not freedom of assembly to me, if you have to fear to lose your job because of a membership in a group. What comes next? You're fired because you have brown eyes, one leg, three ears? (the last two are obviously just rhethorical questions)
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #165 on: April 04, 2015, 12:30:18 PM »

Nay
(I will explain my reasons tomorrow)
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #166 on: April 05, 2015, 06:49:56 AM »

This is a very difficult area. Obviously someone in the KKK should never be allowed to join the police, but if we ban everybody with questionable opinions then almost no one would be left to actually join. Even more scarily if we leave this decision up to local bodies we can have a conservative region banning left wingers and left wing regions doing the opposite.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #167 on: April 05, 2015, 07:35:17 AM »

Why I voted Nay:
I'm sorry but I'm not going to let nazis be members of the police. And this is constitutional:
Quote from: Restricted
And I fail to understand why it would violate the freedom of assembly. Atlasia has the right to hire anybody they want. It would be indeed illegal to forbide people not to hire "nazis" because it would violate their freedom of assembly, but I fail to see how forbidding the hiring of nazis violates the "freedom of assembly". Forbidding 14 years old to join the police should be unconstitutional too?
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #168 on: April 05, 2015, 08:11:05 AM »

No, as fourteen year olds do not "assemble" in the sense a group of, let's take that example, nazis do. I still hold the belief that this is unconstitutional, and I guess that should this clause be left in the bill, I will not be able to vote for its final version.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #169 on: April 05, 2015, 08:21:03 AM »

No, as fourteen year olds do not "assemble" in the sense a group of, let's take that example, nazis do. I still hold the belief that this is unconstitutional, and I guess that should this clause be left in the bill, I will not be able to vote for its final version.
In which way would it infringe their rights to assemble? They can still assemble.
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #170 on: April 05, 2015, 11:31:00 AM »

In which way would it infringe their rights to assemble? They can still assemble.

They can't freely, as they would loose their jobs in the process.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #171 on: April 05, 2015, 12:43:46 PM »

They can't freely, as they would loose their jobs in the process.
So firing any cop would be an infringement of this right???
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #172 on: April 05, 2015, 12:46:21 PM »

The result of the vote:
Aye (4): Cranberry, polnut, Cris, Hagrid
Nay (5): Windjammer, Talleyrand, TNF, Lief, Blair

Cranberry's amendment has failed to pass.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #173 on: April 05, 2015, 12:46:56 PM »

And the other senators could you give your opinion please?
I really don't understand how it would violate this right to assemble.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #174 on: April 05, 2015, 12:54:04 PM »

Nazis are free to hold their rallies or meetings or whatever. But the government has a legitimate interest in making sure that its police officers are not ideological extremists who believe that certain classes of people are inherently inferior.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 18  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies