Italian Elections and Politics 2022 - Our Time to Schlein (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 13, 2024, 08:39:25 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Italian Elections and Politics 2022 - Our Time to Schlein (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Italian Elections and Politics 2022 - Our Time to Schlein  (Read 174557 times)
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« on: July 21, 2022, 06:45:05 PM »

Salvini must resent the way that Meloni has supplanted him as the far right leader, perhaps the best hope for Italian Democracy is that this divide can be manipulated somehow.

I only really have a rudimentary understanding of Italian politics, but what is the difference between the Brothers of Italy and the League? Does Italy really need two major far-right parties?
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2022, 07:10:34 PM »

Salvini must resent the way that Meloni has supplanted him as the far right leader, perhaps the best hope for Italian Democracy is that this divide can be manipulated somehow.

I only really have a rudimentary understanding of Italian politics, but what is the difference between the Brothers of Italy and the League? Does Italy really need two major far-right parties?

There are many posts on this thread about this, but I also understand they're hard to dig up immediately so I'll sum it up by saying that they exist separately because they have completely different histories [Lega: strange vehicle for Northern conservative resentment with a kooky history in support of separatism which later sought to become a more typical "right-wing populist" party and get a nationwide appeal / FdI: continuation of the national conservative tradition (AN) which is heir to the neo-fascist tradition from before the 90s (MSI) and suffice to say its base has never been in the North]. There are of course differences in policy and issue emphasis too, mostly flowing from that.

Thanks for responding. It seems like Italy is on a pretty dark trajectory, unless what others are saying is true and this likely far-right government does in fact end up falling short by the time the election comes around.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2022, 05:58:22 PM »

I refuse to suffer alone:

What the hell? Especially with Salvini. Is this a normal thing in Italy?

Meloni though...it's too bad she's so hideous on the inside.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2022, 06:02:29 PM »

Congratulations to Italy for breaking the glass ceiling...in the f***ing worst way possible...

At the very least, given Italy's history, Meloni's government will probably implode spectacularly sooner or later. I guess we can look forward to that?
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2022, 05:04:26 PM »

Congratulations to Italy for breaking the glass ceiling...in the f***ing worst way possible...

At the very least, given Italy's history, Meloni's government will probably implode spectacularly sooner or later. I guess we can look forward to that?

It never occurs to many on the Left that low immigration,  a non-globalist framework for policy, and an emphasis on preservation of family and culture is what Italian voters want.

If "God. Family. Country" is now Far Right, then God Help Western Civilization.

Italy is not America.   It gets to be what Italian voters want.

I just wish they would get those things from a political party that didn't have its roots in Mussolini's Fascist Party. I'm sorry, but when that's the case, I don't think any political party should have any credibility, no matter what they campaign on.

Ideally, if Meloni's government ends up as bad as it looks, it will be a harsh lesson to the rest of the world who wants to flirt with far-right populism.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies