Crisis in Venezuela (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 01:57:50 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Crisis in Venezuela (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Crisis in Venezuela  (Read 19040 times)
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« on: March 22, 2019, 02:34:29 PM »

Let's be honest here, the "Maduro is good because American imperialism" point of view is just as morally reprehensible as a Cold War-era "well, he's a murderous bastard, but at least he's sufficiently anti-communist" mentality.

There's a fair difference between not wanting the U.S., or some other foreign country, to use the crisis in Venezuela for its own advantage, and realizing Maduro has long lost his legitimacy and that we should support the people of Venezuela's struggle to free themselves from that corrupt, disastrous regime.

I broadly agree, but "support" is a very imprecise word. It's a spectrum, with "thoughts and prayers" on one end, and "Afghanistan, Iraq & Vietnam" at the other. While I support continuing our existing treaties for the immediate future, I also think entangling ourselves in military adventurism (for supposedly "good" motives or not) is a bad idea.
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2019, 08:32:28 AM »

'Large' IMF majority on Venezuela leader issue needed: Lagarde
Managing Director Christine Lagarde said the IMF “can only be guided by the membership, so it’s not a question of us deciding” whether to help in the event that Venezuela’s government reaches out to the Fund.

“It has to be a large majority of the membership actually recognizing diplomatically the authorities that they regard as legitimate,” Lagarde said in a press conference at the IMF and World Bank spring meetings in Washington.
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2019, 05:59:20 PM »

Not subscribing to the toxic Cheney/Bolton style foreign policy and propaganda, that is why Gabbard is also awesome (besides a couple areas)

What's wrong with Cheney/Bolton style foreign policy? It protects our homeland from those who wish to do America harm.

"There is a bear in the woods. For some people, the bear is easy to see. Others don't see it at all. Some people say the bear is tame. Others say it's vicious and dangerous. Since no one can really be sure who's right, isn't it smart to be as strong as the bear? If there is a bear."

No Cheney/Bolton foreign policy is blowing up the bear with cluster bombs and then saying that bear had nuclear weapons.

While pocketing a fat "cluster bomb facilitation fee", and then telling you that the fact that your property is now a wasteland with a net negative value is your problem.
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2019, 06:09:18 PM »

Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2019, 09:21:56 AM »

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2019/5/26/18640654/lindsey-graham-trump-invade-venezuela-reagan-grenada
Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-SC), a close ally of President Donald Trump, suggested the president take a tough stance in dealing with the ongoing Venezuelan crisis: A US invasion similar to the one executed by Ronald Reagan in Grenada back in 1983.

“Trump said rightly, Maduro’s not the legitimate leader of Venezuela. The entire region supports the Trump approach, that Guaidó is the legitimate leader,” Graham said on Fox News Sunday. “I would do exactly what Reagan did. I would give Cuba the ultimatum to get out of Venezuela. If they don’t, I would let the Venezuelan military know, you’ve got to choose between democracy and Maduro. And if you choose Maduro and Cuba, we’re coming after you. This is in our backyard.”
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies