Argentina General Discussion: Shock Therapy
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 25, 2024, 08:02:40 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Argentina General Discussion: Shock Therapy
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8
Author Topic: Argentina General Discussion: Shock Therapy  (Read 8634 times)
Aurelius2
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 21, 2023, 07:59:59 PM »
« edited: November 22, 2023, 12:47:47 PM by Deus, Patria, Milei »

Figured I'd make a thread. Lots of news to be had in the coming weeks and months.

Milei has announced a plan to cut the cabinet by more than 50%, retaining only these 8 ministries:
Human capital
Infrastructure
Economy
Justice
Security
Defense
Foreign Relations
Interior

Reactionary Libertarian
ReactionaryLibertarian
United States

« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2023, 09:48:43 PM »

What exactly are the powers of the presidency in Argentina? My understanding is that a lot of Latin American countries have more powerful presidencies that allow for law by decree and bypassing Congress to some extent. Because from a US perspective, a lot of what he’s proposing sounds impossible without a majority in Congress.
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -1.57

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2023, 04:56:13 AM »

What is a Ministry of Human Capital?
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2023, 05:06:02 AM »

The firstborn child of Javier Gerardo Milei.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2023, 05:19:51 AM »

Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2023, 06:56:11 AM »
« Edited: November 22, 2023, 06:59:27 AM by Torrain »

Who will be the first to attempt to bribe Milei's dog medium to bend his approach to their will?

Guess some taxpayers' cash will be spent on it somewhere.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2023, 08:50:02 AM »

What exactly are the powers of the presidency in Argentina? My understanding is that a lot of Latin American countries have more powerful presidencies that allow for law by decree and bypassing Congress to some extent. Because from a US perspective, a lot of what he’s proposing sounds impossible without a majority in Congress.

Yes, the president in Argentina is very much the top dog. More so than in the US even.
SInNYC

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2023, 09:48:31 AM »

Ministry of everything Libertarians claim that government shouldn't be involved in. ie, everything that was not relevant to agricultural and/or feudal economies a few centuries back.
Reactionary Libertarian
ReactionaryLibertarian
United States

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2023, 11:38:34 AM »

Yes, the president in Argentina is very much the top dog. More so than in the US even.

Right, but what does that mean? Can he eliminate agencies without Congressional approval? Can he do dollarization by decree? What are his actual powers?
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -1.57

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2023, 12:06:06 PM »

Ministry of everything Libertarians claim that government shouldn't be involved in. ie, everything that was not relevant to agricultural and/or feudal economies a few centuries back.

I am not sure if I am more or less confused now. I am pretty confident feudal economies typically lacked a minister of infrastructure, anyway.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2023, 12:39:14 PM »

The President has more or less the same powers as the US President has, with a couple of noteworthy exceptions. One of them - like across all of Latin America - is the freedom to fire and hire ministers without congressional approval. He can also call the Congress into an urgent session to vote a specific proposal.

The key one is the ability to issue emergency decrees (DNU) with the signature of the Cabinet, which allow the President to dictate or modify laws - as long as they are not dealing with tributary, penal or electoral matters - almost at will. The catch is that they have to go to Congress within a month or so, and Congress can reject them if both chambers vote against. But in the meantime, the DNU has full validity.

In this case, Milei can - like many other Presidents have - issue a DNU to alter the law that sets up the ministries (it's not part of the Constitution). And if he can prevent either the Senate or the Chamber of Deputies (in this case, more likely the latter) from voting the DNU down, he gets away with the Cabinet reorganization.

Thus far, the Argentinian Congress has never voted down a DNU, allowing Presidents to get away with issuing dozens of them. However, no President has ever had so limited Congressional support.
SInNYC

« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2023, 01:49:44 PM »

I am not sure if I am more or less confused now. I am pretty confident feudal economies typically lacked a minister of infrastructure, anyway.

Lords loved infrastructure (though I'm not aware of  a feudal "minister" of anything if youre getting technical), they just defined it a bit different than most of us would. You need castles, houses of worship (if they are subservient), moats and walls, safe paths from the farms to the vassals and lords, occasionally even drainage to get rid of icky things from moats (only if your subjects get too uppity about having to do it manually). What you dont need is any infrastructure involving anything allowing peasants to go beyond their parents' place in life.

There is a fine line between corporate welfare and infrastructure, and we will see how far from the line Milei's is able to go.  And I'm guessing the human capital department is mainly about privatizing education, health care, anything to do with the 'peasants'.

Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2023, 03:21:43 PM »

Not to derail this thread with stuff from the American news media, but Sohrab Ahmari's article decrying Javier Milei is just one of the most delicious things I've ever read.

Ⓐnarchy in the ☭☭☭P!
ModernBourbon Democrat

« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2023, 05:31:37 PM »

Days after the election the newly elected governor of the Peronist stronghold of Tucumán announced major cuts:

"We are betting on a State where we must eliminate all unnecessary expenses"
wnwnwn
Peru

« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2023, 05:59:28 PM »

Lords loved infrastructure (though I'm not aware of  a feudal "minister" of anything if youre getting technical), they just defined it a bit different than most of us would. You need castles, houses of worship (if they are subservient), moats and walls, safe paths from the farms to the vassals and lords, occasionally even drainage to get rid of icky things from moats (only if your subjects get too uppity about having to do it manually). What you dont need is any infrastructure involving anything allowing peasants to go beyond their parents' place in life.

There is a fine line between corporate welfare and infrastructure, and we will see how far from the line Milei's is able to go.  And I'm guessing the human capital department is mainly about privatizing education, health care, anything to do with the 'peasants'.

A 21th Century  Locofoco?

Is a ministery/secretary that already exist. It will also cover some of the functions of the ministeries that Milei is closing.
Aurelius2
United States

« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2023, 05:25:26 PM »

mileslunn
Junior Chimp
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2023, 05:59:00 PM »

My guess is Argentina will see huge boost in GDP which is good thing, but basically all of it will flow to the very wealthy and average Argentinian will be worse off and that is not a good thing.  Societies with a few at top and weak middle class tend to have lots of social issues while countries with strong middle class tend to be most socially cohesive.  Off course it is important to have some rich people, you don't want to go on full communist like Cuba or Venezuela but Nordic Countries have plenty of very wealthy people while still have strong middle class.

Canada and US (Yes I am biased from there) is good example.  GDP per capita is much lower in Canada than US, but Canada on quality of life does much better as less crime, less poverty, less racism, longer life expectancy so many here just fine being poorer than US if wealth more equally distributed and we are still globally in top 20 richest countries per capita, just not top 10 or top 5 (if you exclude tax havens and microstates) like US is.

So my guess is Argentina's GDP per capita rises a lot, but average person is as bad or worse off while it is great for wealthy.  Sort of a repeat of Russia in 90s when oligarchs made it big but rest fell behind as things sold off piece meal.  Cuts and privatization made be needed but should be done methodolically for former while for latter have open competition on bids not given away to oligarchs which I fear if rushed rather than done slower will happen.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2023, 12:15:07 PM »

Lol this is funny. He wants to privatize the argentina air company  by making it a worker cooperative with no subsidies which the union opposes.

https://airlinegeeks.com/2023/11/21/money-losing-aerolineas-argentinas-could-soon-be-employee-owned/
wnwnwn
Peru

« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2023, 12:41:44 PM »

Lol this is funny. He wants to privatize the argentina air company  by making it a worker cooperative with no subsidies which the union opposes.

https://airlinegeeks.com/2023/11/21/money-losing-aerolineas-argentinas-could-soon-be-employee-owned/

The best option for them would be that the goverment keeps subsidizing the company. Also, the idea of 'selling the flag carrier' have an impact.
oldtimer
Greece

« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2023, 12:47:24 PM »

My guess is Argentina will see huge boost in GDP which is good thing, but basically all of it will flow to the very wealthy and average Argentinian will be worse off and that is not a good thing.  Societies with a few at top and weak middle class tend to have lots of social issues while countries with strong middle class tend to be most socially cohesive.  Off course it is important to have some rich people, you don't want to go on full communist like Cuba or Venezuela but Nordic Countries have plenty of very wealthy people while still have strong middle class.

Canada and US (Yes I am biased from there) is good example.  GDP per capita is much lower in Canada than US, but Canada on quality of life does much better as less crime, less poverty, less racism, longer life expectancy so many here just fine being poorer than US if wealth more equally distributed and we are still globally in top 20 richest countries per capita, just not top 10 or top 5 (if you exclude tax havens and microstates) like US is.

So my guess is Argentina's GDP per capita rises a lot, but average person is as bad or worse off while it is great for wealthy.  Sort of a repeat of Russia in 90s when oligarchs made it big but rest fell behind as things sold off piece meal.  Cuts and privatization made be needed but should be done methodolically for former while for latter have open competition on bids not given away to oligarchs which I fear if rushed rather than done slower will happen.

Russia's GDP didn't rise in the 1990's.

All countries that tried Shock Therapy had their economies hit very badly and some never really recovered.

Even Thatcher was forced to abandon Friedman when his ideas failed in practice.
wnwnwn
Peru

« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2023, 01:18:40 PM »

My guess is Argentina will see huge boost in GDP which is good thing, but basically all of it will flow to the very wealthy and average Argentinian will be worse off and that is not a good thing.  Societies with a few at top and weak middle class tend to have lots of social issues while countries with strong middle class tend to be most socially cohesive.  Off course it is important to have some rich people, you don't want to go on full communist like Cuba or Venezuela but Nordic Countries have plenty of very wealthy people while still have strong middle class.

Canada and US (Yes I am biased from there) is good example.  GDP per capita is much lower in Canada than US, but Canada on quality of life does much better as less crime, less poverty, less racism, longer life expectancy so many here just fine being poorer than US if wealth more equally distributed and we are still globally in top 20 richest countries per capita, just not top 10 or top 5 (if you exclude tax havens and microstates) like US is.

So my guess is Argentina's GDP per capita rises a lot, but average person is as bad or worse off while it is great for wealthy.  Sort of a repeat of Russia in 90s when oligarchs made it big but rest fell behind as things sold off piece meal.  Cuts and privatization made be needed but should be done methodolically for former while for latter have open competition on bids not given away to oligarchs which I fear if rushed rather than done slower will happen.

All countries that tried Shock Therapy had their economies hit very badly and some never really recovered.

It kind of worked in Peru
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2023, 01:50:38 PM »

It worked in Lima, dooming the rest of the country.
wnwnwn
Peru

« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2023, 02:27:20 PM »

It worked in Lima, dooming the rest of the country.

The shock therapy didn't hurt particualary the rest of tthe country. The centralism problem peaked before that. Most workers hurt by the sale of public companies lived in Lima.
The problem of centralism in Peru is too complex to fully explain, but it's clearly a product of prior events. It probably peaked just before Agrarian Reform, which kind of dromedario in the short term the agrarian sector and increased migración to Lima, but started thebase of a new society.

The inequality between Lima and the rest of the country has actually reduced a bit, but it mostly beneficed the semi-westernised cities and some towns. Some areas near mines has been afected by polution and there is the case of La Rinconada. This balance up things, but its not like shock therapy destroyed the countryside. The worst things on peruvian history were done before the Agrarian Reform.
Those poor towns were poor or poorer prior the shock therapy.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2023, 07:58:30 PM »

Not to derail this thread with stuff from the American news media, but Sohrab Ahmari's article decrying Javier Milei is just one of the most delicious things I've ever read.

Reason isn't that extreme. Ahmari is missing an easy lay-up; he can't even characterize Milei as an extremist properly.
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2023, 02:15:14 PM »

The people behind Liz Truss (this guy runs the IEA, the think tank that basically wrote her disastrous budget, and is rumoured to be on her long-delayed resignation honour list) are *very* excited about Milei. If past is prologue - then good luck, you'll need it...

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies