McGovern runs unopposed in 1972
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 04, 2024, 07:40:55 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs?
  Past Election What-ifs (US) (Moderator: Dereich)
  McGovern runs unopposed in 1972
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: McGovern runs unopposed in 1972  (Read 3549 times)
LBJFan
Rookie
United States
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 02, 2011, 02:07:39 AM »

There seem to have been a lot of maps on here very unfavorable towards George McGovern. Nixon resigns in 1972. Agnew decides not to run for the presidency since the tax evasion news comes out then and the Republicans can't find a definitive candidate to run.

What happens?
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2011, 05:18:20 PM »

The GOP nominates Rockefeller, Reagan, Ford, Baker, Kirk...Seriously, the field is wide open. Anyone could of run and beat McGovern.
NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2011, 10:27:11 AM »

Reagan wins nomination and beats McGovern handily.

Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2011, 07:24:04 PM »

There seem to have been a lot of maps on here very unfavorable towards George McGovern. Nixon resigns in 1972. Agnew decides not to run for the presidency since the tax evasion news comes out then and the Republicans can't find a definitive candidate to run.

What happens?
If Nixon resigned, they would pick a MUCH better canidate then McGovern. Scoop Jackson comes to mind. Other canidates would include Robert Byrd, George Wallace, Shirley Chisholm, Terry Sanford, Hubert Humphrey, Ed Muskie, and Fred Harris come to mind.
Dancing with Myself
tb75
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2011, 07:36:51 PM »

What happens?

There's no way the Republicans or Democrats would ever not run a candidate. This is not 1820. The Democrats had no chance in hell in 1920, 1924, 1972, and 1984 but still ran candidates, the parties are afraid that they will lose power
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -8.78

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2011, 06:20:02 PM »

This may just be because I'm a Mainer, but I think Ed Muskie would be the nominee. He was the favorite entering 1972 (he won both Iowa and New Hampshire), and it's likely because of the Nixon smear campaign's "Canuck Letter", which sparked the "Crying Speech" on that snowy day in front of the Manchester Union Leader building in Manchester, NH, at which point killing any chance Muskie had of ever being president, unfortunately.

Assuming Nixon resigns in 1972, and Agnew doesn't run, I think that there might be general disgust with the GOP. Ed Muskie wins the nomination, because the "Canuck Letter" is never published. George McGovern is his running mate to appeal to the more radical of the party, as Muskie is relatively centrist.

The GOP chooses George Romney with John M. Ashbrook as his running mate. I know this is kind of going against what the entire topic was about, but here is what I think it would be:

Edmund Muskie (ME)/George McGovern (SD) - 334
George Romney (MI)/John M. Ashbrook (OH) -204

My first map posted! Anyway, perhaps I exaggerated Muskie's prowess over Romney. I don't really care, though, cause Muskie is awesome.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2011, 08:45:15 PM »

This may just be because I'm a Mainer, but I think Ed Muskie would be the nominee. He was the favorite entering 1972 (he won both Iowa and New Hampshire), and it's likely because of the Nixon smear campaign's "Canuck Letter", which sparked the "Crying Speech" on that snowy day in front of the Manchester Union Leader building in Manchester, NH, at which point killing any chance Muskie had of ever being president, unfortunately.

Assuming Nixon resigns in 1972, and Agnew doesn't run, I think that there might be general disgust with the GOP. Ed Muskie wins the nomination, because the "Canuck Letter" is never published. George McGovern is his running mate to appeal to the more radical of the party, as Muskie is relatively centrist.

The GOP chooses George Romney with John M. Ashbrook as his running mate. I know this is kind of going against what the entire topic was about, but here is what I think it would be:

My first map posted! Anyway, perhaps I exaggerated Muskie's prowess over Romney. I don't really care, though, cause Muskie is awesome.

Vermont and NH were both Republican strongholds back then, as was Indiana. Illinois was a swing state. That's what I know, at least. I don't think the margins would be so wide.
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -8.78

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2011, 12:58:29 PM »

Vermont and NH were both Republican strongholds back then, as was Indiana. Illinois was a swing state. That's what I know, at least. I don't think the margins would be so wide.

I figured the "home state" rule would apply to a moderate from Maine like Muskie (alliteration much?). I guess you're right. So it would look more like this:

Democrats: Edmund Muskie (ME)/George McGovern (SD) - 314
Republicans: George Romney (MI)/John M. Ashbrook (OH) - 224
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies